How to fix White Screen of Death on Windows 10
Windows 10 tries to ensure a stable experience regardless of your system configuration or the type of processes and apps you choose to install and run on a daily basis. However, from time to time, you can end up dealing with different issues. Fortunately, they can usually be addressed by using the built-in troubleshooters or applying easy-to-follow tweaks. But things are a little bit more complicated when you get the White Screen of Death.
Anyway, if you are currently dealing with a White Screen of Death situation on your Windows 10 system, you shouldn’t panic. There are different ways in which you can fix this annoying error and we’ll list them in this tutorial.
White Screen of Death on PC –8 easy ways to fix it
- Force-restart your system.
- Remove any peripherals that are plugged in through an USB connection.
- Go into Safe Mode.
- Update graphic drivers.
- Apply Windows updates.
- Remove a buggy Windows update.
- Use Windows System Restore Point.
- Run some hardware tests.
1. Force-restart your Windows 10 system
If you are receiving the White Screen of Death error while trying to boot your machine and the actual Windows log-in page isn’t displayed at all, the first thing you should try is a force-restart.
If the problems were caused by a certain app or by a minor system glitch, a fresh restart should fix everything. Now, in most situations a force-restart or a force-reboot can be initiated by pressing and holding the Power key for a few seconds. Just keep pressing the Power key until the shutdown operation is completed. Afterwards, boot your Windows 10 device once again.
2. Remove any peripherals connected through USB
If just a force-reboot is not removing the white screen of death, then you should remove the peripherals that are connected via USB. Most likely, a certain external device is the reason why you are receiving the white faulty screen on your Windows OS PC.
So, first of all disconnect everything from your computer – unplug even the keyboard and the mouse. Then, force-restart your computer and see what happens. If the Windows OS starts normally, start connecting your peripherals one at a time. If a certain external device isn’t running as it should, you can now easily identify it.
3. Go into safe mode
Sometimes a third-party app can be the reason why you receive the White Screen of Death. In order to isolate the problem and identify the app that isn’t running correctly, you should access safe mode.
In safe mode, by default, all third-party apps are disabled. Thus, shortly, if in safe mode your device is running without problems, it means that the problems were caused by a third-party process, which can now be easily removed. Here is how you can reboot Windows 10 into safe mode:
- Press the Win+R keyboard hotkeys.
- In the RUN box type ‘msconfig’ and press Enter.
- The System Configuration window will be now displayed on your computer.
- From there switch to Boot tab.
- Under Boot Options select Safe Boot.
- Optional, you can also select Network if you want to use your Internet connection while running in Safe Mode.
- That’s it; reboot your device as it will go straight to safe mode.
4. Update graphic driver
An outdated graphic driver might bring out the white screen of death while you try to use or run certain apps. So, in that case you should verify if the drivers can receive a new update. You can do that by following:
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon.
- From the list that is displayed click on Device Manager.
- In Device Manager find the entry for your graphic cards and extend it.
- Then, right click on each driver and select ‘Update driver’.
- Wait while the driver is updated and then reboot your system.
- Optional: you can also try to remove the driver and manually install it afterwards from your manufacturer webpage – follow the steps from above but instead of choosing ‘Update driver’ pick up ‘Uninstall device’.
Updating drivers manually is a tedious process, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Disclaimer: some features are not free
5. Apply Windows update
If the White Screen of Death is in fact caused by a system malfunction, there might be an update that can automatically fix these issues. So, verify if there is an update available for your PC:
- Press the Win+I keyboard hotkeys.
- From System Settings click on Update & Security.
- From the next window switch to Update tab.
- Any pending updates will be displayed in the right panel of the main window.
- If a new patch is available just follow on-screen prompts and apply it.
- When done, reboot your computer.
6. Remove a recently installed Windows update
If you started to experience the white screen of death after installing a new Windows update, go and remove that certain patch:
- Follow the steps explained during the previous section of this tutorial.
- From the Update window click on the ‘View installed update history’ link.
- In the next page click on Uninstall updates.
- Just select the Windows patch that you want to remove.
7. Use System Restore Point
If you cannot fix the white screen issue, you should consider in using a restore point. In this way, you can restore your Windows system to a fully functional state. If you choose this method, be careful as everything that was installed after this restore point will now be lost.
- ALSO READ: How to fix the Gray Screen of Death on PC
8. Run some hardware tests
If the problem is still there, you should run some tests as there might be a problem with some hardware components. A faulty hardware might be causing the white screen of death: it can be the graphic card, the monitor, the GPU, the hard disk, or even the motherboard.
Therefore, make sure that everything is running properly, as otherwise you apply the troubleshooting methods from above in vain. If you don’t know how to perform these hardware tests (shortly, you need to test the Voltage output and other similar parameters) the best will be to take your computer to an authorized service.
There you have it, that’s how you can fix the White Screen of Death issue on Windows 10. If you have further questions or if you want to share your own observations and experience with us, use the comments field below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Yellow Screen of Death in Windows 10: Here’s how to resolve it
- Got a Purple Screen of Death on PC? Here’s how to fix it
- Orange Screen of Death on Windows 10 [FIX]
If you want your laptop to work properly, you need to have the appropriate software installed. Speaking of software, users reported that they can’t install […]
Are you getting a “printer needs user intervention” error message when printing documents? The error message might appear on the printer‘s top panel display as […]
XAML or Extensible Application Markup Language, is a language based on XML(Extensive Markup Language). Its use ranges from creating to initializing .NET objects. It’s primarily […]