- Microsoft Edge sometimes opens with a grey or white screen due to compatibility issues or a problem with the browser itself.
- When Edge's home page is not working, you can try to reset the browser.
- Consider using another browser if Microsoft Edge keeps opening with a grey screen.
Microsoft Edge wants to be the replacer for the old Internet Explorer browser. It was developed by Microsoft for the Windows 10 OS and has been included in the latest iteration as well. But, you might encounter issues with it, like the white screen in Microsoft Edge.
Does Microsoft Edge open with a blank white or grey screen when you run it? Some Edge users have stated that the browser opens with a grey or white screen and then closes without any error message popping up.
In other instances, blank pages might open randomly in Edge. These are a few resolutions that might fix things if the Microsoft Edge browser is crashing with a blank white or grey screen.
What causes the White Screen of Death?
The White Screen of Death in Microsoft Edge or other display-related issues can be caused due to a bunch of reasons. We have listed the common ones below:
- Installed extensions or plugins
- Corrupt browsing data
- Conflicting applications installed on the computer
- Outdated graphics drivers
- Misconfigured browser settings
- Improper installation of Microsoft Edge
If you see a white screen on Microsoft Edge and it then closes, it could be due to any of these underlying causes. So, make sure you check for them all.
Why is Microsoft Edge blank screen?
The Microsoft Edge blank page problem stems from similar issues discussed earlier. It could be blank white or blank grey screen.
And the most common reason behind the issue is Hardware Acceleration. Users who had the feature enabled reported issues with the browser and disabling it seemed to fix things.
Why is Microsoft Edge grey screen?
The Microsoft Edge grey screen generally appears when you open a tab that’s been idle for a while. And the issue generally arises due to misconfigured browser settings.
Also, if you modified the flags in Edge, it could be responsible for the problem. So make sure to revert any changes to the flags made recently.
Having trouble with Edge upon startup is no downfall, but you should always have a backup web crawler such as Opera. Plus you can transfer all saved data from Edge over to Opera after installation.
Besides, you can synchronize the Opera browser across all your devices, to easily manage all the settings. The perfect combo of a reliable browser and multi-device management.
Lightweight, low resource usage, and most importantly no white screen issues.
How do I fix the white, blank or grey screen on Microsoft Edge?
1. Run the Microsoft Store App Troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to launch Settings, and click on Troubleshoot on the right.
- Click on Other troubleshooters.
- Now, click the Run button next to the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Troubleshooters are a great built-in tool in Windows that can help you fix several issues with your computer, installed programs, and connected devices. Once the troubleshooter is run, check if the Microsoft Edge white screen on startup problem is resolved.
3. Clear Edge’s browsing data
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Del to open the Clear browsing data utility.
- Click on the Time range dropdown menu, and select All time.
- Select all the data category boxes, and click the Clear now button.
If the grey screen crash closes Edge before you can utilize the browser’s tools, you can still clear Edge’s data with a dedicated cleaner tool, that removes cookies and cache for you.
In this particular case, CCleaner is definitely an option that stands out. It is a PC Cleaning utility that helps you remove all clutter including browsing data.
CCleaner has been on the market for a while and uses up-to-date technologies to detect junk files that do nothing besides taking up space and resources.
It is a better alternative than manual browser cleaning because it gives you a comprehensive report on everything you can safely remove to improve your browser performance.
In the case of Microsoft Edge, you can opt to clean your cached files, history, cookies, download history, sessions, recently typed URLs, saved passwords, and more.
Users can choose to delete all this data or pick a particular sector. So if you want to keep your internet history and saved passwords, you can certainly do so.
4. Reset the Edge browser
- Press Windows + I to launch Settings, and select the Apps tabs from the left.
- Next, click on Apps & features on the right.
- Click on the ellipsis next to Microsoft Edge and select Modify.
- Click Yes in the UAC that appears.
- Now, click Repair.
The repair process will reinstall Edge, but it wouldn’t affect the configured settings or saved data. Also, make sure that you have an active Internet connection to complete the process. Once done, check if the Microsoft Edge white screen when printing problem is resolved.
5. Switch hardware acceleration off
- Press Windows + R to open Run, enter inetcpl.cpl in the text field, and click OK.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering option, and click on OK to save the changes.
Hardware Acceleration might provide smoother graphics rendering for pages, but switching it off can also fix numerous browser crashes.
If this resolves the Edge blank screen crash, see how keeping it disabled works for other apps.
6. Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK.
- Select the IBM Trusteer Rapport software, and click the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
After uninstalling the software, the Microsoft Edge white screen not responding issue should be fixed. In case it persists, head to the last method.
7. Roll Windows back
- Press the Windows + R, type rstrui in the text box, and click OK.
- Press the Next button to open a list of restore points.
- Select a restore point that at least predates the most recent Windows update, and click Next.
- Click Finish to confirm your selected restore point, and start the process.
We’re suggesting this because some Edge users stated on forums that the browser started crashing with a blank white screen just after a Windows update. The Microsoft Edge white screen problem will be fixed by the time the restore is complete.
How do I fix corrupted Microsoft Edge?
The best way to fix corrupted Microsoft Edge is to Repair it via the App settings, as discussed in the previous section. Or, you could run an SFC (System File Checker) scan, but that would take considerably longer.
And if these don’t work, there is always the option to reinstall Edge. Make sure to use an effective uninstaller software to remove all residual Edge files before you go ahead and reinstall the browser.
To conclude, at least one of these solutions should fix white or gray screen crashes in Edge. In addition, running an anti-virus scan is always helpful.
Also, find out how to fix the Out of Memory error code in Edge.
Please write us a comment below and let us know if any solutions from our guide worked for you or if there are others that we should include here.