How to fix Microsoft Edge’s blank white or grey screen on launch
Does Edge open with a blank white or grey screen when you run it? Some Edge users have stated on forums that the browser opens with a grey or white screen and then closes quickly after without any error message popping up. In other instances, blank pages might open randomly in the browser. These are a few resolutions that might fix an Edge browser that’s crashing with a blank white or grey screen.
Microsoft Edge opens with blank page
- Fix Edge With the Windows Store App Troubleshooter
- Clear Edge’s Browsing Data
- Reset the Edge Browser
- Switch Hardware Acceleration Off
- Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport
- Roll Back Windows
1. Fix Edge With the Windows Store App Troubleshooter
The Windows Store App troubleshooter is one included with Windows 10 to fix crashes for apps such as Edge. So, that might help fix Edge’s blank screen crashes. This is how you can utilize the WSA troubleshooter.
- To open the troubleshooter list, first press the Cortana button on the taskbar.
- Next, input the keyword ‘troubleshoot’ in the app’s search box.
- Select Troubleshoot to open a list of troubleshooters in the Settings app.
- Scroll to the Window Store App, select it and press the Run troubleshooter button to open the window shown directly below.
- Then you can go through the troubleshooter’s proposed resolutions.
2. Clear Edge’s Browsing Data
Edge crashes can be due to corrupted browser data. As such, clearing Edge’s data might fix the browser’s blank screen crash. Edge includes built-in options with which you can clear its data.
- To clear Edge’s data, press the Settings and more button at the top right of the browser’s window.
- Click Settings to open further browser options.
- Press the Choose what to clear button to open the Clear browsing data options as in the snapshot directly below.
- Select all the data category boxes, and press the Clear button.
If the grey screen crash closes Edge before you can utilize the browser’s tools, you can still clear Edge’s data with CCleaner. Click Download on this page to save CCleaner’s setup wizard with which you can add the software to Windows. Then you can clear Edge’s data by opening CCleaner, clicking Cleaner, selecting all Edge’s check boxes on the Windows tab and pressing Analyze. Press the Run Cleaner button to erase the browser’s data.
3. Reset the Edge Browser
Resetting a browser is almost like reinstalling it as that restores its default settings and erases browsing data. You can reset Edge via the Settings app, which will also switch the browser’s extensions off (but not remove them). Follow the guidelines below to reset Edge.
- To open the Settings app, press the Cortana button; and enter the keyword ‘apps’ in the search box.
- Select Apps & features to open the Settings app.
- Next, input ‘Edge’ in the app list’s search box.
- Select Microsoft Edge and click Advanced options to open its Reset button.
- Press the Reset button and click Reset again to confirm.
4. Switch Hardware Acceleration Off
Hardware Acceleration might provide smoother graphics rendering for pages, but switching it off can also fix numerous browser crashes. As such, switching Hardware Acceleration off for Edge might also resolve its blank screen crash. This is how you can switch Hardware Acceleration off.
- Open Run with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in Run’s text box, and click the OK button.
- Click the Advanced tab on the window shown directly below.
- Select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering option on that tab.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
5. Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport
Some Edge users have fixed Edge’s blank screen crash by removing the IBM Trusteer Rapport software. That software conflicts with Edge. If you’ve installed IBM Trusteer Rapport, you can remove it as follows.
- Input ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s text box and click OK to open Windows 10’s uninstaller.
- Enter ‘IBM Trusteer Rapport’ in the uninstaller’s search box.
- Then select the IBM Trusteer Rapport software, and press the Uninstall button.
- Click Yes to confirm and remove IBM Trusteer Rapport.
— RELATED: How to fix flashing tabs in the Edge browser
6. Roll Back Windows
Some Edge users have stated on forums that the browser started crashing with a blank white screen for them just after a Windows 10 update. To be more specific, some users stated the browser started crashing after the (KB4022405) update. So if Edge also started crashing for you shortly after a minor update, removing that update might fix the issue.
You can remove minor Windows 10 updates with the System Restore utility by selecting a restore point that predates the updates. Thus, that might restore Edge back to a time when it didn’t crash with a blank screen. This is how you can utilize System Restore in Windows 10.
- Open System Restore by entering ‘rstrui’ in Run’s text box and clicking OK.
- Press the Next button to open a list of restore points.
- Click the Show more restore points option if you can.
- Then select a restore point that at least predates the most recent Windows 10 update.
- To check what software the selected restore point removes, press the Scan for affected programs button.
- Click Next > Finish to confirm your selected restore point and roll back Windows 10.
Some of those resolutions might fix white or gray screen crashes in Edge. In addition to those fixes, running an anti-virus scan might also fix the browser. You can check out this post for further resolutions that might fix Edge.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Microsoft Edge runs slow in Windows 10
- Fix: Microsoft Edge won’t open
- Black screen on Microsoft Edge: Here’s how to fix this issue
Game stuttering is the irregular delays between GPU frames that can have a notable impact on gameplay. A game that stutters will feel slow, or […]
Facebook is reportedly maintaining a list of user data taken directly from their accounts. You might be surprised to know that Facebook’s ex-employees and existing […]