PC screen went black and white: Here’s how to bring back display colors
Many computer users who are on Windows 10 OS have one time or another raised concerns such as their PC screen went black and white, or send support queries like ‘my computer screen went from color to black and white’.
What most of them may or may not know is sometimes they may press multiple keys on their keyboards without knowing, so there’s a chance the screen may go negative.
Whatever the case, if you have no idea what caused it, and you’ve restarted your computer but nothing changed, you’re in luck because there are more solutions that can help fix the problem.
My computer screen went from color to black and white
- Turn off the color filter
- Use a hotkey
- Adjust digital vibrance
- Connect an external monitor to test the display
- Perform a hard reset
Solution 1: Turn off the color filter
If you’re on Windows 10, do the following to revert your screen back to color mode:
- Click Start and select Settings
- Select Personalization
- Click Colors
- Click High Contrast settings
- Turn off Apply color filter
Solution 2: Use a hotkey
When you accidentally turn on the negative mode and find that your PC screen went black and white without your knowledge, you can quickly revert to color by pressing Windows Key+CTRL+C. This hotkey will turn grey scale on or off, so check if it changes the color mode when you apply it.
If your PC screen went black and white, you may somehow have set your theme to monochrome view for handicapped (or people with sight problems), so you can also take the following steps:
- Click Start and type themes in the search box
- Select High contrast settings
- Change the theme to None
- Click Apply
- Re-select Normal theme after that
Solution 3: Adjust digital vibrance
- Right click Start and select Control Panel
- Switch to classic view
- Open the NVidia control panel
- Under the display tab on the right, select adjust desktop color settings
- Go to the bottom of the screen and move the slider of digital vibrance to 50%
This worked for some Windows 10 users, but you can try and see if it helps on yours too.
Solution 4: Connect an external monitor to test the display
The computer screen display may remain on negative or monochrome mode when there’s a corrupted graphics driver, or an issue with the LCD display backlight. In order to test the display, get an external monitor and attach it then restart your computer. Testing with an external monitor is helpful if your computer’s display is different but you can hear the fans, spinning drives, or beeping tones that indicate your computer is working.
Solution 5: Perform a hard reset
For removable battery computer, switch off the computer and remove any plugged devices, disconnecting all external connected peripherals, and then unplug the power adapter from the computer.
- Remove the battery from its compartment, and then press and hold the power button on your computer for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from its capacitors.
- Insert the battery and power adapter back to the computer but don’t connect any other devices just yet
- Press the Power button to turn on your computer. You’ll see the startup menu opening, so use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally and press Enter
- You can now reconnect the devices one at a time, and you’re good to go. Remember to run Windows Update and update all device drivers.
Resetting your computer can resolve many of the issues that came up when your PC screen went black and white.
Did any of these solutions help? Let us know by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Display not working after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
- Primary display’s adapter doesn’t support NVIDIA 3D vision [FIX]
- How to fix the display adapter code 31 error in Windows 10
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]