Problems with display and graphics are usual thing in Windows operating systems. This time we’re facing the issue with a completely white screen. We listed a couple of solutions for this strange issue, and we hope that at least one of them will help you.
Computer screen turns white on startup, how to fix it?
White screen on your PC can be a big problem since you won’t be able to use your PC properly. Speaking of white screen issues, users reported the following problems:
- White screen on computer laptop – This error can appear on your laptop, and if that happens, be sure to check if your display is working properly. To do that, try connecting your laptop to an external display.
- White screen on computer monitor – Sometimes this problem can appear on a computer monitor. To fix the problem, be sure to try all solutions from our article.
- Windows 10 white screen crash – If your computer crashes after a white screen, it’s possible that your graphics card is faulty, so be sure to test it and replace it if needed.
- White screen virus Windows 10 – Sometimes this problem can appear if your PC is infected with malware. However, you can fix that simply by running a malware scan.
Solution 1 – Run sfc/scannow command
This is one of the most common solutions for many system-related problems in Windows. Sfc/scannow command deeply scans your computer for errors and provides the solution (if available). So, there’s a big chance that this command will also solve your problem with the white screen in Windows. Follow these steps to perform the sfc/scannow command:
- Right-click on Start Menu button and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow.
- Wait until the scan is finished (since the scan is deep, it could last for a while).
- Restart your computer and see if white screen still appears.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Solution 2 – Scan for malware and other malicious software
Users who faced the white screen error in Windows often said that some kind of malicious software caused this problem. Reportedly, the malicious software starts along with Windows and it causes your display to go completely white.
To eliminate this spyware or malware from your system install some third party anti-malware software and scan your computer. If it finds the suspicious software, it will remove it from your computer and you’ll be able to use it normally.
Since you won’t be able to start Windows normally, you might want to consider going to Safe Mode. In case you’re not familiar, Safe Mode is a segment of Windows that uses default settings and drivers which makes it perfect for troubleshooting. To enter Safe Mode, do the following:
- Restart your PC several times during the boot sequence.
- If you did everything right, you should see a list of options. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
- Once your PC restarts, you’ll be presented with a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing the appropriate key.
- Once the Safe Mode starts, you need to check your PC for malware.
If the same problem appears in Safe Mode as well, you might want to try accessing the hidden administrator account. We already explained how to enable the hidden administrator account in one of our previous articles, so be sure to check it out for more instructions.
If you’re still having this problem, you might want to try using an antivirus tool that has boot scan. Simply download one of these tools on a working PC, create a bootable rescue media and boot from it on the affected PC. Scan the PC for malware and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 3 – Connect your PC to a different display
If you’re getting white computer screen on your laptop, the problem might be your graphics card or even your display. To check if your laptop is the problem, connect it to an external display and check if the issue reappears.
If your graphics card is faulty, the white screen should appear on the external screen as well. If not, it means that the problem is caused by your laptop display. You can also apply this solution to the desktop PC and check if your monitor is faulty.
Solution 4 – Remove your laptop battery
If you’re getting a white screen on your laptop, you might be able to fix the problem simply by removing your laptop battery. To see how to remove the battery, check your laptop’s instruction manual.
Once you remove the battery, make sure that your laptop is disconnected from the power cord. Now press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so. After doing that, insert the battery again, turn on your laptop and check if the problem still persists.
Solution 5 – Check your graphics card
According to users, sometimes white screen can appear if your graphics card is faulty. If the computer screen goes white as soon as you press the Power button, that’s a good indicator that something is wrong with your graphics card.
Even if the problem appears as soon as Windows starts, the issue can be your graphics card, so you might want to consider replacement. Since new graphics card is costly, consider replacement only after trying all other solutions.
Solution 6 – Use System Restore
Sometimes you can fix this problem simply by using System Restore feature. This is a useful feature that can easily restore your PC to an earlier state and fix many problems. To use System Restore, just follow these steps:
- Restart your PC several times during the boot segment.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
- Select your user account and enter your account’s password.
- When System Restore starts, click on Next.
- If available, check Show more restore points checkbox. Now select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to restore your PC.
Once your PC is restored to a previous state, the problem should be resolved. Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so feel free to try it out.
Solution 7 – Modify your registry
Sometimes your computer screen can go white due to malware infection. Malware can also modify your registry and cause this problem to appear. To fix the problem, you need to navigate to Safe Mode, find the problematic values in the registry and remove them. To do that, follow these steps:
- Enter Safe Mode by following the instructions from Solution 2.
- Once you enter Safe Mode, press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Now enter regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key in the left pane. In the right pane, you should see a Shell string with the value explorer.exe, C:\Users\Your_username\AppData\Roaming\skype.dat. Right click the Shell string and choose Delete from the menu.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, click on Yes.
Once you delete this value, restart your PC and try to start the Windows normally. If you can’t access Safe Mode, you’ll need to find another way to start Registry Editor.
Solution 8 – Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
According to users, you can fix the problem with white screen simply by using a single keyboard shortcut. Several users claim that they fixed the problem simply by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete once the white screen appeared. This keyboard shortcut fixed the problem, so be sure to try it out.
Keep in mind that this could be just a workaround, so you’ll have to repeat it whenever the problem occurs.
Solution 9 – Enter your password blindly
If you’re having this problem, you might be able to fix it simply by entering your password blindly. According to users, this can sometimes be a problem with a login screen, and to fix it you just need to enter your password and press the Enter key and Windows should start working normally.
Solution 10 – Check your drivers
Several users reported that white screen occurs on their PC because their graphics card driver is out of date. However, you can easily fix that simply by updating your graphics driver to the latest version. If you don’t know how to do that, be sure to check our guide on how to update graphics card drivers.
Download TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to update your drivers automatically. This tool will help you to avoid permanent damage to your PC by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are nor free.
Keep in mind that you might have to do this from Safe Mode or from a different user account that works properly. In some cases, you might even have to completely remove your graphics card driver. The best way to do that is to use DDU, so be sure to check our guide on how to use Display Driver Uninstaller for more information.
That’s all, we hope that your white screen issue is now fixed, if you have any comments or suggestions, write them in the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Screen became pixelated after Windows update
- Fix: Screen Resolution Changed after Nvidia Driver Update in Windows 8/10
- Fix fading monitor screen issues in 4 easy steps
- Login screen Windows 10 slow, stuck, frozen [FIX]
- Fix: Internet Explorer black screen issues