- Gdiplus.dll is another of those Windows DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files that provide instructions for third-party software to call upon. If the gdiplus error occurs when launching games, updating your graphics card driver might resolve the issue.
- An always handy workaround is to update Windows to the latest version. Go ahead and read the full solution and other methods in the following article.
- Fixing DLL errors can be an easy task if you use a DLL fixer tool. One of the best to use is CCleaner.
- If you need other solutions like the ones provided in this article, take a look at our dedicated Windows 10 Errors Hub.
Gdiplus.dll is another of those Windows DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files that provide instructions for third-party software to call upon. DLLs are shared files that software can call upon for various things. For example, the software will call upon the printer DLL for printing documents.
The gdiplus.dll file is a component of the Microsoft Graphics Device Interface Library that handles graphics components for image handling, anti-aliasing, filling gradients, etc.
As such, gdiplus error messages are probably more likely to pop up when running graphics design software or games. One of the more prevalent gdiplus.dll error messages states: This application failed to start because gdiplus.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Those error messages can pop up when you launch some software, and then the programs don’t start in Windows. This is how you can fix gdiplus.dll errors in Windows 10.
How do I fix gdiplus.dll errors in Windows 10?
- Scan System Files
- Fix the Registry
- Check for Windows Updates
- Reregister the DLL File
- Replace a Deleted Gdiplus.dll File
- Update the Graphics Card Driver
- Roll Back Windows 10 to a Restore Point
1. Scan System Files
A gdiplus error highlights that the gdiplus.dll file, and perhaps other system files, might be corrupted. So the System File Checker, which repairs corrupted system files, is one utility that can feasibly fix gdiplus errors in Windows. This is how you can utilize the SFC tool in Windows 10.
- First, press the Cortana taskbar button.
- Enter the keyword Command Prompt in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click the Command Prompt to open its context menu, and select the Run as administrator option.
- Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in the Prompt first, and then press the Return key.
- Thereafter, input the command SFC /scannow and press Enter to initiate the System File Checker scan, which might take up to 30 minutes.
- If Windows Resource Protection repairs system files, restart your desktop or laptop.
2. Fix the Registry
DLL errors can often be due to invalid registry errors. So scanning the registry with system optimizer software might also fix gdiplus errors. There are plenty of freeware system optimizers you can utilize for registry scanning. CCleaner is a highly rated registry cleaner with a huge user base. This is how you can fix the registry with CCleaner.
- Open this webpage, and click the Free Download button.
- Open CCleaner’s setup wizard to add the registry cleaner to Windows.
- Launch CCleaner and click Registry to open the software’s registry cleaner.
- Select all the registry checkboxes for the most thorough scan.
- Press the Scan for Issues button.
- Then press the Fix selected Issues button, and you can click the Yes option to back up the registry.
- Click the Fix All Selected Issues option to fully repair the registry.
3. Check for Windows Updates
Windows updates replace and update Microsoft DLL files, and some updates might include the gdiplus.dll. Thus, it might be worth checking for Windows updates to fix gdiplus errors.
The Windows Update service usually automatically updates the platform (if configured for automatic updates), but you might still miss a few updates. You can manually check for further updates as follows.
- Open Cortana’s search box.
- Enter the keyword Windows update in the search box.
- Select Check for updates to open the Windows directly below.
- Press the Check for updates button on that window.
- Then you can press a Download button if there are any updates available.
4. Re-register the DLL File
The Microsoft Register Server, otherwise Regsvr32, is a command-line tool that you can reregister DLL files with. If the gdiplus.dll has not been correctly registered, reregistering it with Regsver32.exe will likely resolve the error. This is how you can reregister gdiplus.dll with Regsver32.
- Open the Win + X menu with the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Prompt as administrator.
- Unregister the DLL by entering regsvr32 /u gdiplus.dll in the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Input regsvr32 /i gdiplus.dll and press Enter to reregister gdiplus.dll.
5. Replace a Deleted Gdiplus.dll File
Gdiplus errors can occur if that DLL file is missing. To check if the gdiplus.dll has been deleted, enter the keyword gdiplus.dll in Cortana’s search box. Cortana usually shows you the gdiplus.dll file as the best match:
- If the gdiplus.dll file is missing, you can download a replacement from DLL-Files.com, which is among the more reputable sources for DLLs. To download a new gdiplus.dll file, open this website page.
- Then click Download to save the ZIP for the latest gdiplus.dll, which is at the top of the DLL file list. Select to download a 32 or 64-bit DLL dependent on your system type.
- Press the File Explorer on the taskbar, and open the folder you saved the DLL ZIP.
- Press the Extract all button to extract the compressed folder.
- Open the extracted folder, and select the gdiplus.dll file.
- Press the Copy to button, and then select to copy the gdiplus.dll to System 32. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop the gdiplus.dll file to C:\Windows\System32 (or C:\Windows\SysWOW64), which will move it to that folder.
- Press the Continue button if a Destination Folder Access Denied window pops up.
- Then you can delete the extracted gdiplus.dll folder by right-clicking it and selecting Delete.
- Register the new gdiplus.dll file by entering ‘regsvr32 gdiplus.dll’ in an elevated Command Prompt.
6. Update the Graphics Card Driver
DLL issues can be due to corrupted or antiquated drivers. If the gdiplus error occurs when launching games, updating your graphics card driver might resolve the issue. You can update your video card driver as follows.
- First, you’ll need to note down the graphics card model and system type details. Press the Windows key + R hotkey, input dxdiag in Run window and click OK to open the window directly below.
- Note down the operating system listed on the System tab.
- Then click the Display tab, which lists the graphics card model and manufacturer details.
- Next, open your graphics card manufacturer’s website in your browser.
- Open the driver download section of the site.
- Then you can either select your graphics card from drop-down menus or enter the video card in a search box.
- Download the latest driver for your graphics card that’s compatible with your Windows platform.
- Some graphics card drivers are packaged as ZIP files. If so, extract the ZIP by opening it in File Explorer and pressing the Extract all button.
- Enter a folder path to extract the ZIP to, and press the Extract button.
- Thereafter, open the folder that includes the driver’s setup wizard.
- Then right-click the setup wizard and select Run as administrator to install the graphics card driver.
7. Roll Back Windows 10 to a Restore Point
The System Restore utility saves restore points that you can roll Windows back to. Restoring Windows to an earlier time will restore system files and registry settings. As such, System Restore can also fix gdiplus errors so long as you select to roll Windows back to a date when there weren’t any gdiplus.dll error messages popping up on your desktop or laptop. This is how you can restore Windows to a previous date.
- Input Run in Cortana to open the Run accessory in Windows.
- Enter ‘rstrui.exe’ in Run and click OK to open System Restore.
- Click the Next button.
- If there are lots of restore points, you can usually select a Show more restore points option. So select that setting to expand the number of listed restore points.
- Select a system restore point that will revert Windows to a time when your software wasn’t crashing with a gdiplus.dll error.
- When you restore Windows to a previous date, you’ll probably need to reinstall some software. You can press the Scan for affected programs button to see what software will be deleted for a selected restore point.
- To confirm your selected restore point, press the Next and Finish buttons.
So there are various potential resolutions for gdiplus.dll errors. Aside from those fixes, there are other numerous DLL fixer apps, such as DLL Suite, that can resolve gdiplus errors. You can also check out this article that includes further tips that might fix missing gdiplus.dll errors.
FAQ: Learn more about DLL errors
- What is gdiplus.dll doing on my computer?
Gdiplus.dll contains libraries for the GDI graphics interface and is a system process that is needed for your PC to work properly. It should not be removed.
- What other tools can I use to fix DLL errors?
A common DLL fixer is CCleaner. However, there are several other apps that can help you when fixing DLL files, like DLL Suite, Registry Fix, DLL Tool and many more.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and it has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.