Windows 10 improves RAW image format support
Microsoft recently announced that Windows 10 v19H1 will feature improved RAW image format support. This is a piece of great news for those who love taking pictures in RAW image formats and had always wanted the RAW files from their camera to be natively supported by Windows.
This new Build 18323 also comes with many bug fixes, and enhanced support for the RAW images is one of the major features. To make proper use of this improvement, Microsoft has created an updated store-delivered RAW codec package that can better improve native RAW file format support in Windows.
Just as soon as the package (RAW Image Extension, Beta Version) is downloaded from the Microsoft Store, you will be able to view the image thumbnails, camera metadata, and previews of all recent unsupported RAW files in the File Explorer.
Also, all your RAW images can now be viewed in full resolution through any app that utilizes Window Imaging Component outline to decode raw images like Photos or Window app.
Keep in mind that some camera models and raw formats may not be supported. While the beta version of the Raw format supports most cameras, there are some exceptions, as Microsoft informs its users.
The current version of the extension supports a long list of cameras, however some Raw formats like .CR3, and .GPR are not currently supported at this time.
Raw Image Extension issues
There are some issues that are connected with this new feature. We’ll list them below:
- In Photos app, opening some RAW images with the newly released store-delivered raw codec pack get stuck at a low-resolution thumbnail image
- When view state is switched to “Details Pane” and the new raw codec package is activated, File Explorer hangs almost immediately.
- For some raw image formats, camera properties that are stored as EXIF/XMP metadata are not functioning. These are some of the issues connected with this new feature and so many others.
The Windows 10 Build 18323 has brought many useful general changes, lots of improvements, and fixes for PCs.
Speaking of fixes, we already wrote an article where we listed the main bug fixes and improvements packed in this build. Feel free to check it out.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 6 best software to vectorize images in 2019
- 4 best software for zooming images and capturing all the details
- 7 best software to create QR code on PC [2019 List]
MS Office 2013 users can utilize templates for preformatted documents. However, some Office users have said that a Something went wrong while downloading your template […]
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]
Microsoft just released KB4493132 to Windows 7 computers thus adding end of support notifications.The notifications remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. The […]