A computer with multiple monitors allows you to have two or more display screens showing different contents. It makes it easier to multitask and split your screen. However, many users report Windows 11 monitors detected but not displayed, making it impossible to use the external monitor.
Another issue users report is Windows 11 not detecting the second monitor, making it impossible to connect and use it.
Why is the Windows 11 monitor detected but not displaying?
For many reasons, users may experience their Windows 11 monitor not displaying even when connected to their PC. Some factors liable to cause the issue are:
- Outdated graphics driver – The graphics driver on the computer is responsible for its display components, including the external monitor connected to your PC. If the graphics driver is not detected or outdated, it can cause problems with the devices connected to your PC due to bugs and also compatibility problems:
- External monitor connection issues – There’s a possibility that the external monitor connection may be faulty, causing issues with it displaying on your PC.
- Outdated Windows OS – Users encounter issues connecting devices to their PCs because it is outdated. It can cause the operating system version not to meet the device’s requirements. Hence, it can cause issues with the monitor working.
Other factors not highlighted above can also cause issues with your Windows 11 monitor. Nonetheless, we’ll discuss how to get your monitor to display again.
Before proceeding with any advanced steps for fixing the issue, try the following preliminary checks:
- Disconnect other external devices connected to your computer.
- Unplug the monitor from its power source, then reconnect it.
- Restart Windows in Safe Mode and check if the monitor works properly.
If you can’t fix the problem, proceed with the solutions below:
1. Change your project mode
- Press Windows + P key to open the Project window, then select PC screen only.
- Disconnect the external monitor from your PC.
- Power off your computer and reconnect the monitor while the PC is still off.
- Power on your PC and press the Windows + P keys.
- Click the Extend option to check if the monitor is detected and displays as it should.
The above steps will refresh any external projection display device connected to your PC and resolve connection errors from other monitors.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Read what to do if you encounter problems with your monitor screen fading to black on your PC.
2. Enable set up of Multiple Displays for Nvidia graphic cards
- Right-click on your desktop and open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click Set up multiple displays on the Display tab.
- Check all the boxes for the monitor you want to use and save the changes.
- Restart your PC and check if the monitor displays.
Enabling the multiple display option in the Nvidia Control Panel allows your device to detect external monitors and make them work smoothly. Check how to fix the Nvidia Control Panel crashing or not working on your PC.
3. Update your Graphics driver
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc, and click OK.
- Click the Display adapters, select the driver from the drop-down, and select the Update driver option.
- Click the Search automatically for drivers option.
- Restart your PC and check if the issue persists.
The graphics driver update will fix bugs affecting the monitor display and install the latest features to improve its performance. Read our detailed article on updating graphics drivers on Windows 11 if you have any issues.
If you’re searching for a quicker updating alternative, you can opt for a specialized program like DriverFix to automatically find the latest updates for your outdated drivers, thanks to its large database.
DriverFixTry this great app to immediately update your drivers with the best versions.
4. Update Windows Operating System
- Press Windows + I key to open the Windows Settings app.
- Click on Windows Update and click on Check for updates. If there are any updates available, it will search for and install them.
Updating Windows will fix the bugs affecting your PC and resolve compatibility issues causing your monitor not to work. Read about fixing Windows not connecting to update service if the error occurs on your PC.
More so, our readers can check our article about fixing external monitors not detected after sleep or not waking. Also, you can read our detailed guide about the third monitor not detected on Windows 11 and how to fix it.
Conclusively, this guide should help you if Windows 11 monitor is detected but is not displaying. Should you have further questions, then drop them in the comments section.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.