- Updating Windows Defender is no complicated job. All you need to do is download the updates from Microsoft and then run them in Windows 10.
- Every now and then, Windows Defender updates fail and the reasons behind this may vary.
- If you're experiencing error 0x8050800c, make sure to follow these 4 steps listed below.
Installing the latest Windows Defender updates helps you to keep your computer safe. Usually, Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates once a day for you. You can also download the latest updates manually.
However, there are instances when users can’t install the latest Windows Defender updates due to various error messages.
Error 0x8050800c is one of the most frequent Windows Defender errors.
I am getting this error whenever I want to update the virus definition in Windows Defender. Sometimes the defender itself automatically turns off. […] The error code I am getting is: 0*8050800c. What should I do? I am using Windows 10.
If you’re experiencing error 0x8050800c, follow the instructions listed below.
How to fix Windows Defender update error 0x8050800c?
1. Restart your computer
- First of all, you should try to restart your PC.
- Then download and install the latest Windows Defender updates.
Users report that a simple action such as rebooting your computer eliminates error 0x8050800c and allows you to update your antivirus.
2. Install the latest Windows 10 Updates
- If there are any pending Windows 10 updates, install them first and then try to update Windows Defender. Many users confirm that this simple action solves the majority of Windows Defender Update errors.
- Once you’ve installed the latest OS updates, restart your computer and try to update your antivirus.
3. Make sure you’re not running a third-party antivirus
It is possible that you’ve installed another antivirus program on your computer. If such is the case, this may explain why you can’t update Windows Defender. Uninstall the third-party antivirus solution and use a software removal tool as well.
4. Clean your registry
If your system files are corrupted, Windows Defender may not be able to download and install the latest updates. In order to quickly scan and repair your registry, install a registry cleaner on your computer and let it do its job.
If you’re interested in repairing your corrupted system files, check out this useful guide that will help you do just that.
We hope the 4 solutions listed above helped you to fix Windows Defender‘s update issues. If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix error 0x8050800c, feel free to list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
Also, leave there any other questions you may have and we’ll be sure to take a look.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March, 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.