There are all sorts of errors that can appear on your PC, but one of the most annoying ones is Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working.
This error can prevent you from using standard Windows features and it can be quite problematic, so in this article, keep reading to find additional solutions for this error.
How can I fix the Windows Shell Common DLL error?
1. Make sure that Windows Time service is running
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- The Services window will now appear. Locate Windows Time service, right click it and choose Start from the menu.
Windows relies on various services in order to work properly, but sometimes this problem can occur due to disabled services. According to users, Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working error started appearing after performing a System Restore.
It seems that this error message is preventing users from changing their date and time, but there’s a way to fix it. To fix the problem, you just need to enable Windows Time service by following the steps above.
NOTE: Keep in mind that this solution only applies if the error message appears when trying to change the date and time.
2. Use a different application to change your microphone settings
- Start Bandicam and go to Video settings. Now click on the Settings button in the Record section.
- Recording settings window will appear. Now you just have to click the Settings button next to your microphone.
- After doing that, you’ll see a standard microphone configuration window and you’ll be able to change your settings without any problems.
This is an unusual workaround, but it works according to users. Many users reported Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working error while trying to change their microphone settings from Windows.
According to them, you can circumvent this problem by using a different application to access your microphone settings. Many users managed to circumvent this problem simply by using Bandicam to modify their microphone settings.
Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, so you’ll have to use it whenever you want to adjust your microphone settings. Bandicam software is a solid workaround, but if you have any other software that allows you to configure your microphone you can use it instead.
3. Reinstall your audio drivers
According to users, they managed to fix Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working error simply by reinstalling their audio drivers. Your drivers can be buggy and that can cause this error to appear.
To fix the issue, many users are suggesting to reinstall your audio drivers. This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens locate your audio driver and right-click it. Choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- Confirmation dialog will now appear. If available, check Remove driver software for this device option. Click on Uninstall to remove the driver.
- After removing the driver, click on Scan for hardware changes icon.
Windows will now automatically install the missing drivers and the problem should be resolved entirely. Some users are suggesting to restart your PC instead of performing Step 4, so feel free to try that.
Keep in mind that you should stay away from any Beta drivers. Beta drivers aren’t fully tested and they might not always work. In fact, sometimes Beta drivers can cause this problem to appear.
To avoid any compatibility issues, it’s recommended to always use the latest drivers. If the problem appears even with the latest drivers you might want to install an older version of audio drivers.
Editor’s Note: This post continues on the next pages with even more ways to fix Windows 10 DLL errors. Also, free feel to check out our wide collection of troubleshooting guides on similar topics.