How to fix Windows update error 0x80070424 for good
Do you experience Windows update error 0x80070424 while running Windows updates? We’ve got you covered.
Windows update error 0x80070424 is an error associated with the Windows Update Standalone Installer (Wusa.exe).
Windows Update Standalone Installer (Wusa.exe) on the other hand is a built-in utility tool which downloads and installs Windows update packages.
So, if critical (or important) system files are missing or Windows update services are stopped during the process of installing Windows update, the Windows update error 0x80070424 prompt shows up.
Hence, we have compiled the most appropriate solutions to fix the Windows update error 0x80070424.
Getting Windows Update encountered error 0x80070424 message? Try these solutions
- Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run SFC and DISM
- Enable Critical Windows Update Services
- Register System Files
- Reset Windows Updates Components
- Download the update manually
1. Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with the Windows Update troubleshooting tool that is adept at fixing any Windows updates errors. Therefore, you can run the troubleshooter to fix the Windows update error 0x80070424.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type Settings and then hit the Enter key.
- Head over to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find Windows Update, and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow further on-screen instructions.
- Restart your computer.
Note: If this solution does not fix the problem on your PC, you can try out other solutions enumerated below.
2. Run SFC and DISM
It is well noted that Windows update error 0x80070424 is caused by corrupted system files. Hence, running the System File Checker tool might be applicable in resolving the issue.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan:
- Press Windows+S and type cmd.
- From the search results, right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- A new cmd window appears. Type sfc /scannow and hit the Enter key.
- Wait until scan and repair process is finished.
Alternatively, you can also run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool which is pertinent to fix corrupt system files.
Here’s how to run DISM in Windows 10:
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
- DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
- DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Be sure to replace C: RepairSourceWindows path of your DVD or USB.
Note: Ensure that you replace the repair source path with your own.
3. Enable Critical Windows Update Services
Certain Windows Update services such as Workstation, Windows Update, and Background Intelligent Transfer services might not be running.
On the other hand, these are critical Windows services which ensure that Windows updates are downloaded and installed securely.
So, if you experience the Windows update error 0x80070424, you have to run Windows Services windows and start the aforementioned services to fix the problem.
Here’s how to do this:
- Press the Windows Key + R to launch the Run window.
- In the Run window, type services.msc. and then click OK
- In the Services windows, locate Workstation, Windows Update, and Background Intelligent Transfer services and double-click them one by one.
- Ensure that the services are set to Automatic and are running.
- If they are not running, set the Startup type to Automatic for each of the services, click Apply and Start.
- Restart your system and then continue with the Windows update.
4. Register System Files
Important Windows system files (in .dll file format) are required in order to download and install Windows updates in one piece.
Hence, if the system files are not registered on your Windows PC, the Windows update error 0x80070424 might come up.
Follow these steps to register the missing system files:
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- In the Run windows, type the following command line-by-line and click OK afterward:
- regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s
- regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
- Restart your system and then run the Windows update.
5. Reset Windows Updates Components
Another applicable workaround to fix Windows update error 0x80070424 is to manually reset Windows Updates components.
Follow these steps, to do that:
- Open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. You can do that by pressing the Windows Key + X shortcut.
- Once the Command Prompt opens, run the following commands:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- After running these commands, check to see if the problem is resolved.
Note: If typing the commands seems convoluted, you can fix this problem by creating a reset script using steps outlined in our WUReset script guide.
6. Download the update manually
If you are unable to update your PC due to update error 0x80070424, you can easily fix the problem by downloading the update directly from Microsoft’s Update Catalog.
However, you need to know the update code of the problematic update before you proceed.
Usually, each Windows update code starts with KB, followed by an arrangement of numbers. Once you are able to locate the update code, follow these steps to download and install the update manually:
- Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- In the search box, type the update code in the search box and then hit the Enter key.
- From the list of matching updates, locate the update that uses the same architecture as your system.
- Click the Download button next to the update to download it.
- Once you download the update, run the setup file and follow the installation prompts.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
Hope you’re able to solve the update error 0x80070424 problem by using any of the aforementioned solutions? Let us know by commenting below.
- What to do if Windows Update keeps turning itself back on
- FIX: 0x800f0805 Windows update error
- Full Fix: Windows Update error code 0x80070020
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]
Tumbler is a popular social media website that allows its users to create blogs and share their content with others. More than 465 million people […]