WORKER_INVALID and other Blue Screen of Death errors will restart your computer whenever they appear in order to prevent damage to your PC. This error can be rather serious therefore it’s important that you know how to fix it on Windows 10.
How to fix WORKER_INVALID BSoD error
Table of contents:
- Download the latest updates Windows 10 and drivers
- Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Remove problematic applications
- Install Smart Gesture
- Disable touchpad
- Check your hardware
Fix – WORKER_INVALID Windows 10 error
Solution 1 – Download the latest updates Windows 10 and drivers
In order to ensure that your PC is running without any problems, we strongly advise that you use Windows Update to download the latest updates. Many of these updates bring new features, security improvements and various bug fixes related to both hardware and software. Since BSoD errors are often caused by hardware or software issues, it’s important that you download the latest Windows updates in order to ensure that your PC is safe, stable and error-free.
Downloading updates is quite important, but it’s also important that you download the latest drivers. Windows 10 relies heavily on drivers in order to work with your hardware, and if certain driver is outdated or not working properly, you might experience a BSoD error such as WORKER_INVALID. To update your drivers, you just need to visit your hardware manufacturer, locate your device and download the latest drivers for it. Bear in mind that you might have to update drivers for all major hardware components in order to fix this error.
Few users reported that Etron USB3.0 Host Controller driver is causing this error, so if you have this device available, be sure that you update it first, and then move to other hardware components.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 2 – Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooter is a tool that can resolve all sorts of issues in Windows 10. Including BSOD issues.
Here’s how to run Windows 10’s troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 3 – Run the SFC scan
If the troubleshooter failed to resolve the problem, we’re going to run the SFC scan. This is a command-line tool that scans your system for potential issues, and resolves them, if possible. So, it might be helpful with the WORKER_INVALID BSOD error, as well.
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 4 – Run DISM
DISM is the third troubleshooter we’re going to try, in case the previous two failed to resolve the problem. DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management, and as its name says, it reloads the system image. So, maybe this process will resolve the BSOD issue.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Remove problematic applications
Third-party applications can sometimes cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear, and in order to fix this error, you’ll need to find and remove the problematic applications from your PC. Users reported that Daemon Tools is causing this error, and if you’re using this tool, we strongly recommend that you remove it and install alternative software.
It’s worth mentioning that your antivirus can also cause WORKER_INVALID error to appear, therefore we strongly advise that you temporarily remove all third-party antivirus programs. Uninstalling the antivirus might not fix the problem, so you’ll have to download a dedicated removal tool and use it to remove all files associated with your antivirus program.
If removing your antivirus program fixed this error, we advise you to reinstall it again, or you can switch to any other antivirus program.
- READ ALSO: How to fix DirectX Errors on Windows 10
Solution 6 – Install Smart Gesture
If you’re having WORKER_INVALID Blue Screen of Death error on your laptop, you should know that this issue is often caused by your touchpad. Simplest way to fix this issue is to install Smart Gesture application, but if your laptop doesn’t support this application, feel free to install the matching alternative.
Solution 7 – Disable touchpad
As previously mentioned, your touchpad can often be the cause for this error, and in order to fix this problem you’ll have to disable your touchpad. To disable your touchpad, you just need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open the Power User Menu and choose Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate your touchpad, right click it and choose Disable.
Bear in mind that this is a just a workaround, and you’ll probably have to use a USB mouse until this issue gets permanently fixed.
Solution 8 – Check your hardware
These errors can be often caused by your hardware, so it’s highly recommended that you remove any recently installed hardware since it might not be compatible with your PC. If the recently installed hardware isn’t the problem, we advise you to check your RAM for errors. RAM is the most common cause for these types of errors, but if your RAM is working properly, be sure to check other major hardware components such as your hard drive, motherboard, network adapter, etc.
WORKER_INVALID error can cause certain problems on your PC, but we hope that you managed to fix this error by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.