- A lot of users have reported that the downloads are stuck at the preparing screen in Windows 11's Xbox app. No progress is registered for hours.
- To fix it, terminate all EA processes, update the OS, or uninstall conflicting applications, amongst other fixes listed below.
- Also, find out how you can join the Xbox Game Pass and play over 100-plus games across devices.
Xbox app has become a fad, off late, owing to the wide variety of games available and the ability to seamlessly play them across devices with the Game Pass. But, several users have reported that the Xbox app is stuck at preparing screen when downloading a game with no progress for hours.
This prevents users from downloading games, and there is no indication or information available as to what’s causing the error which puts users in a pickle.
Go through this guide to both identify the underlying cause and eliminate it in order to fix the Xbox app stuck at preparing screen error.
What causes the Xbox app to get stuck at preparing screen in Windows 11?
When dealing with such problems, you can’t easily identify the underlying cause. Unless you have made any changes in the recent past, right after which the error was first encountered. In which case, simply revert to the previous settings or state to eliminate the problem.
Some issues that are generally found to be the culprit are misconfigured settings, corrupt cache, conflicting processes or programs, and running an older version of the OS.
We have listed the relevant fix for each of these in the following section. Execute them in the same sequence to eliminate the Xbox stuck at preparing screen error.
What do I do if the Xbox app is stuck at the preparing screen?
1. Restart the system
- Go to the desktop, press Alt + F4 to launch the Shut Down Windows box, and then click on the dropdown menu to view the available options.
- Select Restart and click on OK at the bottom.
2. Terminate all EA processes
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Locate any processes related to EA, right-click on them, and then select End task from the context menu.
After terminating the processes, check if the progress moves past the preparing screen on the Xbox app in Windows 11.
3. Update Windows 11
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select Windows Update from the list of tabs in the navigation pane on the left.
- Next, click on Check for updates to scan for any available newer versions of the OS.
- If any are found, download and install them on your PC.
4. Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and click on Troubleshoot on the right in the System tab.
- Next, click on Other troubleshooters.
- Locate and click on the Run button next to Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to diagnose and eliminate the problem, and choose the appropriate response if prompted.
The built-in troubleshooters offered by Microsoft help resolve a bunch of errors in Windows 11 with minimal effort or supervision from your end. Hence, whenever you encounter an error, check if there is a troubleshooter available, and run it.
5. Repair/reset the Xbox app
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select the Apps tab from the navigation pane on the left.
- Next, click on Apps & features on the right.
- Locate the Xbox app, click on the ellipsis next to it, and select Advanced options from the menu that appears.
- Now, click on the Repair button.
- Wait for the process to complete and check if the problem is fixed. In case it persists, click on the Reset button.
- Again, click Reset on the prompt that pops up.
If the downloads are stuck on the preparing screen due to issues with the Xbox app itself, repairing or resetting the app could help. It’s recommended that you first try to repair it and if that doesn’t work, reset the app.
When you repair an app, all its files are checked and the problematic ones are replaced. Also, the registry entries are examined for any anomalies.
6. Reset the Microsoft Store cache
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search menu. Enter Windows Terminal in the text field at the top, right-click on the relevant search result, and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Click Yes on the UAC (User Account Control) prompt that pops up.
- Click on the downward-facing arrrow at the top, and select Command Prompt from the list of options. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + 2 to launch Command Prompt in a new tab.
- Now, type the followig command and hit Enter to reset the Microsoft Store cache:
7. Uninstall conflicting apps
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and then select Apps from the list of tabs on the left.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Locate the problematic or conflicting app, click on the ellipsis next to it, and then select Uninstall from the menu.
- Again, select Uninstall in the confirmation prompt that pops up.
If you started encountering the download stuck on preparing screen error in Xbox after installing an app, uninstall it right away and check if that fixes the issue. Certain apps are known to conflict with the functioning of the others installed on the system.
To identify the ones to uninstall, make a list of the apps that were installed around the period you first encountered the issue.
Now start uninstalling the apps one at a time, and check if the problem is eliminated after each. Once you identify and remove the conflicting one, reinstall the others that were removed during the process.
How can I join the Xbox Game Pass?
The Xbox Game Pass offers over 100-plus games for users to seamlessly play across devices, in case they choose the $14.99/month plan.
It also offers cheaper plans where you can enjoy these games either on the console or on a PC. Also, Xbox adds new games to the platform regularly to keep subscribers engrossed.
The option to choose from either of the three packages ensures that users are able to subscribe to the one that suits their requirements. So, if you have been planning to join the Xbox Game Pass, head to their official website, pay for the desired plan, download the app, and start playing games right away.
That’s all there is to eliminating issues that cause the games to get stuck at preparing screen on the Xbox app in Windows 11. Also, find out how to get the remote install feature working on Xbox.
Another issue often reported by users is that Windows 11 doesn’t recognize the Xbox controllers, so learn how to fix it. Our tips will help you in that regard.
Tell us which fix worked along with your favorite games on Xbox in the comments section below.