Fix the Xlive.dll error in Windows 10, 8.1 or 7
When using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 as your default OS you will probably experience various system problems. These problems are usually incompatibility issues that can be resolved easily as soon as you apply the proper solutions. In that matter, we can now discuss the xlive.dll Windows 8 problems, which can be addressed with ease if you choose to follow and apply the guidelines from below.
The xlive.dll system error is quite common on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, this issue is displayed on various situations such as: when trying to install a new program or software when trying to run a new game, or even when trying to shut down your computer or device.
So, if you get an error message like “Xlive.dll Not Found”, “This application failed to start because xlive.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”, “Cannot find [PATH]xlive.dll”, “The file xlive.dll is missing.”, or “Cannot start [APPLICATION]. A required component is missing: xlive.dll. Please install [APPLICATION] again.” It means that you have problems with the xlive.dll protocol.
Now, this issue might occur because you have accidentally removed the xlive DLL file from your Windows 8 system, due to hardware problems or because of compatibility mismatches. But, don’t worry, as during the lines from below I will try to show you how to easily fix this Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 problem.
Xlive.dll is an important component of Games for Live, and if this file is missing you won’t be able to run certain games. Since this can be a big problem, in this article we’re going to cover the following issues:
- Xlive.dll GTA 4, Dirt 3, Fallout 3, Virtua Tennis 4, Batman Arkham City, Resident Evil 5, Tekken x Street Fighter, Operation Flashpoint Red River, Operation Raccoon City, Street Fighter 4, Dark Souls, Halo 2, Kane and Lynch, Lost Planet 2, Bulletstorm, Gears of War – This file is associated with many games, and if Xlive.dll is missing, you might not be able to play your favorite games. This error affects dozens of games, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Xlive.dll download – If you have problems with Xlive.dll, the best course of action is to download the file again. Downloading the file from third-party websites isn’t the safest solution, however, you can download it right from Microsoft’s website.
- Xlive.dll was not found, is missing, cannot be found – If this file is missing from your PC, you might not be able to run certain games. This can be a big problem, however, you should be able to fix the issue by reinstalling Games for Live and the affected games.
How to fix xlive.dll Windows 8 Issues
- Download Games for Live
- Check your PC for malware
- Perform an SFC scan
- Install the latest updates
- Update your drivers
- Perform a system repair
- Reinstall Games for Xbox Live
Solution 1 – Download Games for Live
If the xlive.dll file is missing, you might be able to fix the problem by downloading and installing Games for Live. This application contains the necessary files, and by installing it you should fix the problem. Keep in mind that many third-party websites offer you to download Xlive.dll, but these websites aren’t always reliable and safe to use, so you should stay away from them.
To fix this problem, you just need to download Games for Live right from Microsoft’s website. Once you download the package, you need to do the following in order to install it:
- Right-click the installation file and choose Run as Administrator from the menu.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install the application.
Once the application is installed, the issue should be resolved and your game will start working again without any issues. Few users reported that they had to copy the xlive.dll from C:WindowsSysWOW64 to C:WindowsSystem32 directory in order to fix the problem, so be sure to try that as well.
Solution 2 – Check your PC for malware
Missing dll files are usually a sign of malware infection, and if xlive.dll is missing from your PC, it’s possible that your PC is infected. To fix the problem, be sure to scan your PC with antivirus software and check if that fixes the problem. There are many great antivirus tools available, but currently, the best tools on the market are BullGuard and Bitdefender, so be sure to download and try them out.
- Download now Bullguard (Free download)
- Download Bitdefender Antivirus at a special 50% discount price
After scanning your PC and removing the malware check if the problem still persists.
Solution 3 – Perform an SFC scan
Sometimes xlive.dll can become missing due to file corruption. File corruption is a relatively common problem, but you can easily fix the corrupted files by performing an SFC scan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, right-click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin). If Command Prompt isn’t available, feel free to use PowerShell (Admin) instead.
- Once the Command Prompt starts, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it.
- SFC scan will now start. This process can take 15 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the SFC scan if finished, check if the problem still appears.
Solution 4 – Install the latest updates
If xlive.dll is missing, you might be able to fix this problem by installing the latest updates. Windows 10 usually installs the latest updates automatically, but you can check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When Settings app opens, go to the Updates & security section.
- Click on Check for updates button.
If any updates are available Windows will download and install them in the background. Once the updates are installed, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 5 – Update your drivers
Update your drivers for hardware devices in order to address the incompatibility issues and reinstall the programs or the games that reported the xlive.dll problem. To update your drivers, you need to download the drivers for the desired device from the manufacturer’s website.
We also strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC. This tool will keep your system safe as you can manually download and install the wrong driver version.
Solution 6 – Perform a system repair
If you have problems with xlive.dll, you might be able to fix the problem by performing a system repair. To do that, insert your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 installation disk and run the “System repair” option in order to restore and fix your Windows OS.
Keep in mind that this is a drastic solution and you should use it only if other solutions can’t fix the problem.
Solution 7 – Reinstall Games for Live
Few users reported that they fixed the issue simply by uninstalling Games for Live and all games associated with it. After you uninstall both Games for Live and related games, you need to install Games for Live again. Now install the problematic games again and check if that solves the problem.
This is a simple solution, but sometimes a reinstall can fix this and many other problems, so make sure to try it out.
Well, one of these methods should resolve your xlive.dll Windows 8 issue. If you are still dealing with this problem, don’t hesitate and use the comments section from below in order to share your thoughts with us and we will try to assist you as soon as possible with a compatible troubleshooting solution.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- How to fix the “d3dcompiler_43.dll is missing from your computer”
- Api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing: 5 ways to fix this error
- How to fix the missing ddraw.dll error in Windows 10
- How to fix ‘nvspcap64.dll not found’ startup error on Windows 10
- Xinput1_3.dll errors on Windows PCs [FIX]
You have most likely encountered Are you sure you want to move this folder to the Recycle Bin message on your PC at least once. […]
Many Windows 10 users reported getting ads on Twitch with Adblock. This is an unusual problem, but in today’s article, we’ll show you how to […]
Many Aventail VPN users have encountered the error message Aventail VPN is not connecting. This problem seems to occur no matter how the VPN service […]