Windows 8 brought great features and capabilities to its users, the new OS released by Microsoft being designed especially for the touch based and portable devices. Anyway, there are so many in built features included on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 that some protocols might be useless or even annoying for some users, especially for the advanced Windows customers.
In that matter we can talk about the “you have new apps that can open this type of file” message that is featured in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Getting “you have new apps that can open this type of file” is really frustrating as this message will be displayed each time you will install a new program on your computer – for example if you download a new photo editor tool, when you will try to open an image the same message will be displayed on your device asking you which program to use for viewing your picture. And the same thing will happen with all your actions, which means that you might want to get rid of the Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 “you have new apps that can open this type of file” message or alert.
In order to help you out, I decided to develop the present tutorial. The guidelines from below can be easily completed and work perfectly for enabling or disabling the protocol that has been described during the lines from above.
How to disable “you have new apps that can open this type of file” in Windows 8 or 8.1
- On your device, from Start Screen, press “Win + R” keyboard buttons.
- You should notice the Run box displayed.
- There enter “regedit” – Registry Editor will then be launched on your Windows 8 device.
- On Registry Editor from left panel go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer”.
- Good; then head your attention on the right panel of Registry.
- On a blank space right click and choose “New” followed by “DWORD value”.
- Rename the new value as “NoNewAppAlert”.
- Double click on NoNewAppAlert and set its value to 1.
- Close Registry and restart your Windows 8 system.
You have learned how to easily disable the “you have new apps that can open this type of file” alert in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. You can enable this protocol by setting the NoNewAppAlert value to 0. So, that’s all for now; enjoy.