As you know, Windows 10 is available as a free upgrade to all genuine Windows 8 and Windows 7 users, however, upgrade process to Windows 10 isn’t always smooth and some users report getting driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpic.sys) error.
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpic.sys) is usually followed by a Blue Screen of Death after which your computer restarts. This error is caused by a file mfewfpic.sys that is related to McAfee Security Software, and usually the best solution to this is to remove McAfee security software before upgrading to Windows 10. If you have already upgraded to Windows 10, don’t worry, there’s still a way to fix this issue.
How to Fix Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpic.sys) Error in Windows 10
To do this, you will need to download and run McAfee removal tool. You can download it from here. After you’ve downloaded the tool, you just need to run it and it will remove McAfee Security Software completely from your computer. If you’re getting Blue Screen of Death with driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpic.sys) error then you probably won’t be able to access your Windows 10 and download McAfee removal tool, so you’ll have to start your Windows 10 in Safe Mode.
To start the Windows 10 in Safe Mode you usually need to restart your computer from Windows 10 while holding the Shift button, but since that isn’t the option you can try the following:
- While your computer boots keep pressing F8 or F2 or Shift + F8. This will sometimes allow you to access Advanced Boot Options. As we mentioned, this will not always work, but after your computer resets for several times you’ll get the option to Restart or to enter Advanced Startup. When this happens make sure that you choose Advanced Startup.
- Then choose Troubleshoot.
- Next you need to go to Advanced Options > Startup Settings.
- When you enter Startup Option you’ll have the option for Safe Mode with Networking. Choose it, and download the
- McAfee removal tool from the link above.
- Run the McAfee removal tool to remove McAfee software completely.
- Restart your computer. After you’ve removed McAfee Security Software everything should be working as usual.
I hope this solution helped you with Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpic.sys) error, if you have any questions, or comments, just reach for the comment section below.