- Accessing the work computer from home is essential if you want to reach its resources or to perform maintenance on it.
- You should consider changing the settings on the remote PC to allow external connections.
- Using the Remote Desktop Connection on the home PC will establish the link with the computer from work.
- Also, the best way to access a work computer from home may imply using a third-party remote desktop app.
While many of us are forced to work from home it’s only clear why you would want to access the work computer from home.
A remote desktop connection will allow you to access all your resources and even maintain your work PC and our guide below will show you exactly a few ways on how to do that.
As you will see below, in this article we tackle the built-in Remote Desktop Connection app from Windows 10 and also suggest a third-party app for faster results.
How can I access the work computer from home?
1. Enable the remote access on the remote PC
- Press Windows Key + S and type allow remote.
- Click on Allow remote connections to this computer.
- Scroll down in the next window and make sure that the Change settings to allow remote connections to this computer is checked.
- Next, click on the Show settings option near it.
- In the next window, check the Allow remote connections to this computer. You will also be prompted to change the hibernation settings from the power settings so that the PC doesn’t go into Sleep mode.
- For extra security, check Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended).
- You can also select which users can have access to your computer if you click on the Select Users button.
This is a necessary step to prepare the remote PC to accept remote connections so check out the steps above to get this done right now.
2. Use the Remote Desktop connection
- Click the Show Options button.
- In the General tab, type the name or the IP address of the computer you want to connect to. Below you can also specify the username of the one who will connect.
- You can select the size of the remote desktop window and the color depth from the Display section.
- You can go through all tabs to change and configure several resources from the remote PC.
- After you finish the configuration, click the Connect button.
The Remote Desktop Connection isn’t limited to the Windows platform. You can connect to a Windows host by using Linux or Mac OS so give it a try.
3. Use a dedicated third-party app
Remote Desktop Connection embedded in Windows will do the job but, as you can see, there are several settings and tweaks to take care of before connecting to the remote PC.
It’s a pretty daunting task and a lot of things can go wrong when you finally try connecting to the remote PC. That’s why we recommend considering a third-party tool that is a lot easier to use.
The solution recommended below comes with TSL technology for secure connections and it has a very low latency of only 16 ms so you will feel like working on the actual remote PC.
Control your work PC from everywhere with this excellent remote desktop app.
We hope that you went through our solutions and now you know how to access your work computer from home in Windows 10.
Of course, this can go the other way around and by performing the same steps you will be able to access the home computer from work.
We have a whole list with the best remote desktop solutions that you can also try and choose the one you like better. If you have any other suggestions, use the comments section below.