Fix: BUGCODE USB DRIVER error on Windows 10
What to do if I get BUGCODE USB DRIVER error on Windows 10 laptop or PC?
- Install the latest Windows 10 updates
- Update Your Drivers
- Remove problematic software
- Remove overclock settings
- Update your BIOS
- Change the power settings
- Disconnect your webcam
- Disconnect unnecessary components
- Check for faulty hardware
- Check disk for errors
- Scan your USB device
- Uninstall the USB Controller
- Update your USB Root Hub drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors such as BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER will cause Windows 10 to crash and restart your PC in order to prevent damage. This error can be serious, therefore it’s important that you know how to properly fix it.
How to fix BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSoD error
You might find some quick information about this issue on the video below. Use the video and the solutions listed in this article in order to get rid of this issue.
1. Install the latest Windows 10 updates
Downloading latest Windows updates is fairly simple, and you can download them by using Windows Update. Many of these updates bring new features, security improvements as well as various bug fixes related to both hardware and software. Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by hardware or software bugs, therefore it’s crucial that you download the latest Windows 10 updates in order to fix this error.
2. Update your drivers
Update drivers manually
Windows 10 requires drivers in order to work with your hardware, and if certain driver is out of date or if it has any bugs, that can cause BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSoD error to appear. To fix this and other BSoD errors, it’s important that you update your drivers. Updating drivers is fairly simple, and you can do it by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your hardware. Bear in mind that you might have to update drivers for all major components before you fix this error. Users reported that this issue was caused by Asus ATK0110 and ASIO E17 driver, so if you have these drivers installed, be sure to update them first.
Update drivers automatically
If this method doesn’t work or you do not have the necessary computer skills to update/fix the drivers manually, we strongly suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
3. Remove problematic software
Third-party applications can often cause this error to appear, and to fix it you need to find and remove the problematic application. According to users, tools such as VMware can cause these types of problems to appear, so if you’re using this software, we strongly suggest that you remove it from your PC. We have to mention that your drivers can cause these types of errors as well, and several users reported that this issue was fixed after reinstalling Realtek audio drivers on their system.
Another cause for BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER can also be your antivirus program or firewall, therefore we suggest that you temporarily remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. Uninstalling the antivirus software might not be enough, therefore we suggest that you use a dedicated removal tool to completely remove all files associated with your antivirus. Most antivirus companies have a removal tool for their software available for download, so make sure that you download and use one.
4. Remove overclock settings
Overclocking is an advanced procedure that changes the settings of your hardware thus allowing you to get better performance. We have to mention that overclocking your hardware can cause system instability and in some cases permanent damage to your hardware, therefore be extra careful if you decide to overclock your hardware.
Few users reported that changing the voltage to auto has fixed the problem, therefore we strongly suggest to remove any overclock settings in order to fix BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSoD error.
5. Update your BIOS
Updating BIOS unlocks new features of your motherboard, and it allows it to work with different hardware, and in some cases BIOS update can fix Blue Screen of Death errors. Updating BIOS is an advanced procedure, and it can cause damage to your PC, therefore, if you decide to update BIOS, we strongly advise you to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions and be extra cautious.
6. Change the power settings
According to users, your power settings can cause this error to appear, and to fix this error you need to disable USB selective suspend setting. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S on your keyboard and enter Power Options. Select Power Options from the list.
- Locate your currently selected power plan and click the Change plan settings.
- Click the Change advanced power settings.
- Locate USB settings and expand it. Expand USB selective suspend setting and disable it.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
7. Disconnect your webcam
Few users reported that BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Blue Screen of Death error was caused by their webcam, and according to them, the only solution was to disconnect the webcam. If you use a webcam, be sure to disconnect it and try it on a different PC to see if it works properly. In case your webcam works on a different PC, the problem is probably caused by outdated webcam driver.
8. Disconnect unnecessary components
Some users reported that they cannot install Windows 10 by using bootable USB flash drive. According to them, the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSoD error appears every time they try to install Windows 10. Only workaround so far is to disconnect all peripherals and components that you don’t use. After disconnecting all unnecessary components, the BSoD error should be fixed, and you’ll be able to install Windows 10.
9. Check for faulty hardware
Many Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by faulty hardware, therefore it’s crucial that you find and remove any faulty hardware. According to users, few of them managed to fix this error by replacing the faulty motherboard, but bear in mind that almost any hardware component can cause this error to occur. There are few reports that this error was fixed after replacing the faulty sound card, so be sure to check your sound card as well.
Lastly, make sure that all your components are properly connected. Check for any loosely connected cables, and check if your RAM and other cards are properly connected to your motherboard.
10. Check disk for errors
The BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error may occurs due to faulty disk files. You can run a disk check using Command Prompt to detect and repair these files.
Start Command Prompt as administrator and type the chkdsk C: /f command followed by Enter. Replace C with the letter of your hard drive partition.
As a quick reminder, if you do not use the /f parameter, chkdsk displays a message that the file needs to be fixed, but it does not fix any errors. The chkdsk D: /f command detects and repairs logical issues affecting your drive. To repair physical issues, run the /r parameter as well.
11. Scan your USB device
If this error occurs when you connect a USB storage device to your computer, download and install one of these antivirus tools for USB flash drives and check if your USB hardware is infected with malware.
Particular malware and viruses installed on your USB flash drive may cause various errors, including the annoying BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSOD error.
12. Uninstall the USB Controller
Many users reported reinstalling the USB Controller fixed this error. While this solution may not work for all users, give it a try as it may help you.
- Open the Device Manager.
- Find Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand it.
- Right click the first driver in the Universal Serial Bus section and click Uninstall.
- Repeat the process for all drivers in the Universal Serial Bus section.
- Restart your computer.
13. Update your USB Root Hub drivers
Updating the USB Root Hub driver can fix various USB-related issues and errors. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section and right click USB Root Hub. Choose Update driver from the menu.
- Now select Search automatically for updated driver software. Windows will automatically install the necessary drivers.
- Repeat these steps for all USB Root Hub devices on your PC.
Your USB should now work again without any issues.
BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER can be a problematic error, but we hope that you managed to fix it by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_IN_FREED_SPECIAL_POOL error on Windows 10
- Fix: AMD Error code 43 on Windows 10
- Fix: Error 80070002 While Upgrading to Windows 10
- Fix: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Error in Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 Download Error 80200056
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Hulu can be a great entertainment platform, but many users reported Sorry this channel is temporarily unavailable message while watching live sports feed. While that […]
Today Microsoft released a new Windows 10 19H2 build for a subset of lucky Windows insiders in the Slow ring. It’s not really new, because […]
Windows 10 May update packs a lot of changes. Some of them are visual, other are performance or security related. It’s already a known fact […]