- Some users have stated on forums that their all-in-one Canon printers don't scan after they upgraded to Windows 10.
- If you have trouble performing a scan, check the scanner's Window 10 Compatibility and then perform a driver update. Restart your devices.
- An essential tool in business or personal use, a malfunctioning printer can be very annoying. Check out the printer section for fixes.
- Our amazing Windows 10 Errors Hub has a ton of helpful material that covers any other problems you might encounter.
Some users have stated on forums that their all-in-one Canon printers don’t scan after they upgraded to Windows 10. One user stated:
Using the Canon software for Windows 10 (64-bit) I press preview scan and the scanner runs through its cycle and produces a preview. I then press Scan, the scanner gets 28% of the way down the bed and stops.
If your Canon printer & scanner doesn’t scan after upgrading to Windows 10, these are a few resolutions that might fix it.
How to fix Canon printer scanning issues
- Check the Scanner’s Window 10 Compatibility
- Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Select the Power Saver Option
- Scan Documents With the MF Toolbox 4.9
- Update the Printer Driver
1. Check the Scanner’s Window 10 Compatibility
A Canon all-in-one printer and scanner won’t work if it’s not compatible with your platform. If you’ve never done any scanning with the Canon scanner in Windows 10 before, check the printer‘s compatibility with the platform. You can check Windows 10 compatibility for a range of Canon printers and scanners on this page. There you can click your printer‘s series to expand its list of models as in the snapshot directly below.
Note that the model lists include Windows 10 and Windows 10 S columns. Canon printer models are generally compatible with Windows 10 but not Win 10 S. Thus, some Win 10 S users might need to switch to an alternative Win 10 edition to scan with Canon printers.
2. Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Windows includes two troubleshooters that might fix an all-in-one Canon printer that isn’t scanning. The Hardware and Devices troubleshooter could provide a resolution for fixing a Canon scanner that isn’t scanning. The Printer troubleshooter might also come in handy for fixing a 2-in-1 printer and scanner. You can open those troubleshooters in Windows 10 as follows.
- Click the Type here to search button on the left of the taskbar to open the Cortana app.
- Enter ‘troubleshoot’ in the search box.
- Select Troubleshoot to open the Settings app’s troubleshooter list in the snapshot below.
- Select Hardware and Devices to click its Run the troubleshooter button. Then you can go through the troubleshooter‘s suggestions.
- Alternatively, press Run the troubleshooter button for Printer to open that troubleshooter.
3. Select the Power Saver Option
Some users (with laptops) have fixed Canon printers that hang when scanning by selecting the Power saver option in Windows 10. To do that, enter ‘power saver’ in Cortana’s search box and select Choose a power plan. Then you can select the Power saver option. Alternatively, you might also find the printer scans when you unplug your laptop.
4. Scan Documents With the MF Toolbox 4.9
The MF Toolbox 4.9 is a Canon alternative to the Windows Fax and Scan utility. Some Canon printer users have stated in forums that their printers scanned when they utilized MF Toolbox 4.9 instead of Windows Fax and Scan. You can scan with MF Toolbox 4.9 as follows.
- Press the Download button on this Softpedia page to save MF Toolbox 4.9’s archive to Windows.
- You can open MF Toolbox’s installer with 7-Zip. You can click Download on this page to add 7-Zip to Windows 10.
- When you’ve installed MF Toolbox, right-click its exe or desktop shortcut and select Properties to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Compatibility tab in the snapshot below.
- Click the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box.
- Select Windows 8 from the platform drop-down menu.
- Press the Apply button to confirm the new settings, and then click OK to close the window.
- Then open the MF Toolbox toolbar and click Scan-1 to scan.
5. Update the Printer Driver
Canon users have also confirmed that driver updates for their devices fixed mid-scan hangs. So, updating the driver for your Canon printer/scanner might also get it scanning. This post provides further details for updating device drivers.
You can also quickly update drivers with the Canon Drivers Update utility. Click Download on this webpage and open the utility’s installer to add the software to Windows. Then open the utility’s window, and press the Start Scan the button. The utility will list outdated Cannon drivers and the most update ones, which you can then install by clicking Install.
So, that’s how you can fix an all-in-one Canon printer that doesn’t scan. Canon PIXMA MP160 users can also check out this article for further scanner fixes. We also do recommend you to try some manipulation in order to be sure the problem is fixed. You can also try to use a scanner software in order to maximize the tests.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the connection is via WiFi, check if computer is on the same network. Otherwise check the USB cable. Next step, make sure the printer is not busy or the device is not in offline mode. Make sure you update drivers and install any recommended software from the manufacturer.
You can use the built-in Windows Fax and Scan app that comes with the operating system to perform a scan after you connect your printer and turn it on. Alternately you can try a better software with more options. Check out our guide for best scanner software.
If you can perform a print but not a scan it is usually a software error. Update any software that you installed for your printer. Update the drivers. And finally, turn off and back on the device and try again.