- Epic Games Launcher errors can arise due to background program locks or simply because the game launcher is still running in the background.
- To successfully the Epic Games Launcher when the default Windows uninstaller doesn’t remove it, we recommend you try a third-party utility.
- Some Windows troubleshooters have helped users fix Epic Games Launcher uninstallation errors, so they are also worth a try.
- Even though it is a more risky solution, users can also force stubborn software by editing the Windows registry.
If you can’t uninstall Epic Games Launcher, these potential resolutions might help you uninstall it.
Why can’t I uninstall Epic Games?
In general, if the Epic Games launcher is in use, you won’t be able to uninstall it successfully. Because the Windows or Mac will not let you do it. However, there can be other reasons. If we list all the reasons, we will find the followings:
- You can’t uninstall the Epic Games launcher while it is still running.
- If any service uses the app on your computer, the installation process won’t be successful.
- If the installation driver letter changes, you can’t uninstall the Epic Games launcher due to the invalid drive error.
- You cannot remove the launcher before removing the apps and games installed via the Epic Games launcher.
There are other reasons, but these are the common ones.
Can I uninstall the Epic Games launcher after installing the unreal engine?
No. You cannot do it. Even if you can uninstall the launcher by keeping the Unreal Engine, you will face a lot of troubles. This is because the updates, notifications, and critical information are delivered via the launcher.
However, if you cannot remove the launcher for other reasons from your computer, you can follow the following methods.
How do I force uninstall epic game launcher?
1. Uninstall Epic Games Launcher with a third-Party uninstaller utility
If you can’t uninstall Epic Games launcher on Windows 10/11, a dedicated third-party tool can do it for you. It also saves time as you won’t have to follow extra steps.
Numerous alternative third-party software removal utilities will uninstall Epic Games Launcher without any issues.
Uninstallers are completely safe utilities that not only remove the selected app but also scan your PC for any leftover files or registry entries related to that app and remove them as well.
This guarantees that your PC is clutter-free, and you will be able to reinstall the program in the future without old files interfering with new ones and causing errors such as crashing your installation.
Dedicated uninstallers also help you remove browser toolbars, malicious software, bloatware, and more.
2. Make sure Epic Games Launcher isn’t still running
- Right-click the taskbar to select and open Task Manager.
- Select Epic Games Launcher under Apps on the Processes tab, and click the End task button.
- Then look for Epic Games Launcher listed under Background processes. If you find any Epic Games processes, select them and click the End task button.
- After that, try uninstalling Epic Games Launcher again.
Ending the process will help you to fix it can’t uninstall the Epic Games launcher when it is running.
3. Uninstall Epic Games Launcher in Safe Mode
- Click the Power button on the Windows 10 Start button.
- Hold the Shift key and click Restart.
- Then you’ll need to select Troubleshoot.
- Click on Advanced Options.
- Select the Start-up Settings option, and then click Restart.
- Press 4 to select the Enable Safe Mode option when Windows restarts.
- After that, try uninstalling Epic Games within Safe Mode.
In some cases, Windows won’t uninstall the Epic Games launcher even if you try many methods. But, in safe mode, you can easily remove this software without facing additional issues.
4. Delete the EpicGamesLauncher app data folder
- Press Win + R on the keyboard to open Run.
- Type this path command into Run’s text box and click OK:
- Then select the Epic Games subfolder within the Local folder.
- Next, press the Delete button to erase the Epic Games subfolder.
- Then try uninstalling Epic Game Launcher after you’ve deleted that subfolder.
5. Run the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter
- Open the Program Install and Uninstall download page in a browser.
- Press the Download troubleshooter button on that page.
- Click Save to download it to a folder.
- Then open the folder you downloaded the troubleshooter to in File Explorer.
- Click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab to open the troubleshooter window directly below.
- Press the Next button on the troubleshooter’s window.
- Select the Uninstalling option.
- Then select Epic Games Launcher as the program you want to uninstall if it’s listed. If it isn’t listed, select the Not listed radio button.
- Click Next to resolve uninstallation issues for Epic Games Launcher.
6. Force uninstall Epic Games Launcher via the registry
- Open Run like method 4.
- Type the following command and click OK:
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then SOFTWARE.
- Then, Go to Microsoft, click on Windows, and then CurrentVersion.
- At last, expand Uninstall.
- Locate the Epic Games Launcher key there, which has a random code. You can identify it by searching for Epic Games using the Find option.
- Right-click the Epic Game Launcher key and select the Delete option.
- Click the Yes button on the Confirm Key Delete window.
- Restart Windows after deleting the key.
Note: We recommend users back up the registry or set up a System Restore point before deleting registry keys.
Can I delete the Epic Games launcher after downloading?
You can delete the Epic Games launcher installation file after downloading or installation. However, if you want to delete the Epic Games launcher folder, it will be a trickier part. It may not be possible in the usual way.
How to delete Epic Games Launcher?
For this, you will need to end all the Epic Games processes from the task manager, as shown in method 2. If you don’t end the process, every time you try to delete or uninstall the Epic Game launcher, it will say the program is currently running.
After ending the processes, delete the installation folder and all related temporary files. Usually, you can find the installation folder in the following location:
If none of the above methods can uninstall this program, deleting is the only option.
However, after manually deleting, you must look for the registry keys related to the game launcher, as shown in method 6. Then, Delete the keys.
Those potential resolutions are worth a shot when Epic Games Launcher doesn’t uninstall. The above fixes might resolve Epic Games uninstall issues for some users but aren’t necessarily guaranteed for everybody. You can submit a support ticket via Epic’s Support request page for further potential fixes.