The default gateway is not available on Windows 10 [FIXED]
8 easy steps to fix default gateway is not available
- Install a new Ethernet driver
- Change the channel of your wireless router
- Change Power Management settings
- Change the power saving mode of your wireless adapter
- Change the frequency of your wireless router
- Change the wireless mode to 802.11g
- Use netshell reset command
- Uninstall McAfee
Internet problems can cause a lot of trouble, and one problem that Windows 10 users reported is The default gateway is not available error.
This problem can prevent you from accessing the Internet therefore it’s crucial to know how to fix it.
Why is the default gateway not available?
Your default gateway may be unavailable due to incorrect IP settings. In rare cases, this may even be due to ISP configuration settings.
Router settings and outdated drivers could also cause this problem. Some users reported that McAffee security solutions may sometimes block your connection.
What to do if the default gateway is not available
1. Install a new Ethernet driver
If you’re getting this error on Windows 10, be sure that you have the latest Ethernet driver installed.
To install it, just visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and go locate the latest Ethernet driver for your device.
After you download it, install it and the problems with gateway should be fixed.
It’s important to mention that downloading drivers manually is a risky decision. You can damage permanently your system by manually downloading the wrong driver versions.
Thus, we recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater 100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free.
2. Change the channel of your wireless router
Sometimes issues with gateway can occur due to your wireless channel and dual band wireless adapters. To fix this issue, you need to access your wireless router and change the channel from automatic to a certain value.
Users reported that setting the channel to 6 fixed the problem for them, but be sure to try different channels as well. For detailed instructions on how to change the wireless channel we advise you to check your wireless router manual.
In addition to changing the channel, some users are also advising to change the encryption method. Users reported that using WPA-WPA2 encryption method fixed the issue for them, so you might want to try using it.
If that doesn’t work, try switching to different encryption methods. Bear in mind that some encryption methods are outdated and that they don’t provide the necessary protection.
3. Change Power Management settings for your network adapter
Some users claim that you can fix this problem by changing the Power Management settings of your network adapter. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your network adapter and double click it.
- Once the Properties window opens, go to Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK to save changes.
4. Change the power saving mode of your wireless adapter
Some users claim that you can fix The default gateway is not available error on Windows 10 by changing your power options. To do that follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power options. Select Power Options from the menu.
- When Power Options window open locate your current plan and click Change plan settings.
- Now click on Change advanced power settings.
- Locate Wireless Adapter Settings and set it to Maximum Performance.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
5. Change the frequency of your wireless router
Newer routers support 5GHz frequency, but your current adapter might not work with this frequency so you’ll have to change it to 2.4GHz. Users reported that after changing the wireless frequency from 5GHz to 2.4GHz the gateway problems has been resolved.
For detailed instructions on how to change the wireless frequency of your router be sure to check its manual.
6. Change the wireless mode to 802.11g
According to users, you can fix problems with default gateway by setting the wireless mode from 802.11g/b to 802.11g. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Network Connections window. To do that press Windows Key + X and choose Network Connections from the menu.
- Locate your wireless network adapter and right click it. Choose Properties from the menu.
- Click the Configure button.
- Go to Advanced tab and select Wireless mode. Select 802.11g from the drop down menu.
- Save changes and check if the problem is resolved.
7. Use netshell reset command
Users reported that you can fix The default gateway is not available error by resetting TCP/IP.
How do I reset my default gateway? First, you need to launch Command Prompt and enter the IP reset command.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt starts enter netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
- After the process is completed close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
8. Uninstall McAfee
To fix this issue it’s recommended to remove McAfee from your PC and check if that fixes the problem.
Sometimes the removal tool of the antivirus might not remove registry entries or leftover files, and this is why it’s usually better to use a third-party uninstaller such as Ashampoo Uninstaller or Iobit Advanced Uninstaller (free).
After you remove your antivirus your computer will be protected by Windows Defender, but you can also choose a different antivirus software from this list. Best antiviruses recommended are Bitdefender, BullGuard, and Panda, so you can keep your system protected.
The default gateway is not available error is usually caused by outdated drivers or by improper network configuration. To fix this error be sure to try all solutions from this article.
- 7 reliable routers that work well with Comcast in 2019
- 4 handy VPN tools for Linksys routers to secure your connection
- What to do if your VPN got blocked by your router
- VPN does not work through router: Here’s how to enable the connection
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Broadcom USH which stands for Unified Security Hub is relevant for those devices that come with an integrated fingerprint reader. That also makes it extremely […]
Microsoft released new Japanese and Chinese IMEs to Windows Insiders that are currently enrolled in the Fast Ring. These changes were introduced with the Windows […]