- If you are experiencing the default gateway is not available error, it's due to your network adapter.
- Try installing a new Ethernet driver or changing the Power Management settings.
- Check the system with antivirus software to make sure it wasn't infected by a virus.
- Another fix for this problem involves changing the frequency of your Wireless Router.
Internet problems can cause a lot of trouble, and one problem that Windows 10 users reported is The default gateway is not available error.
Your default gateway may be unavailable due to incorrect IP settings. In rare cases, this may even be due to ISP configuration settings.
Router settings and outdated drivers could also cause this problem. Some users reported that McAffee security solutions may sometimes block your connection.
This problem can prevent you from accessing the Internet therefore it’s crucial to know how to fix it.
What can I do if the default gateway is not available?
1. Install a new Ethernet driver
- Press the Windows Key + S and type Device Manager.
- Open the Device Manager and expand Network Adapters.
- Right-click each one of them and select Update Driver.
- Let Windows update the drivers.
If you’re getting this error on Windows 10, be sure that you have the latest Ethernet driver installed. To install it, just visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and go locate the latest Ethernet driver for your device.
Update drivers automatically
It’s important to mention that downloading drivers manually is a risky decision. You can damage permanently your system by manually downloading the wrong driver versions.
Thus, we recommend using a third-party driver updater tool that is 100% safe to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Various errors are the result of a malfunctioning driver. When this is the case, you may need to update or reinstall completely this specific component. As the process is not straight-forward to complete, we recommend using an automated tool for the job. Here's how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Change the channel of your wireless router
Sometimes issues with gateway can occur due to your wireless channel and dual-band wireless adapters. To fix this issue, you need to access your wireless router and change the channel from automatic to a certain value.
Users reported that setting the channel to 6 fixed the problem for them, but be sure to try different channels as well.
For detailed instructions on how to change the wireless channel we advise you to check your wireless router manual.
In addition to changing the channel, some users are also advising to change the encryption method. Users reported that using WPA-WPA2 encryption fixed the issue for them.
If that doesn’t work, try switching to different encryption methods. Bear in mind that some encryption methods are outdated and that they don’t provide the necessary protection.
3. Change Power Management settings for your network adapter
- Press Windows Key + X to open the Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your network adapter and double-click it.
- Once the Properties window opens, go to the Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Some users claim that you can fix this problem by changing the Power Management settings of your network adapter.
4. Change the power saving mode of your wireless adapter
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power options.
- Select Power Options from the menu.
- When the Power Options window opens locate your current plan and click Change plan settings.
- Now click on Change advanced power settings.
- Locate Wireless Adapter Settings and set it to Maximum Performance.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Some users claim that you can fix The default gateway is not available error on Windows 10 by changing your power options.
5. Change the frequency of your wireless router
Newer routers support 5GHz frequency, but your current adapter might not work with this frequency so you’ll have to change it to 2.4GHz.
Users reported that after changing the wireless frequency from 5GHz to 2.4GHz the gateway problems has been resolved.
For detailed instructions on how to change the wireless frequency of your specific router be sure to check its manual, since the UI differs between manufacturers.
6. Change the wireless mode to 802.11g
- Open Network Connections window.
- To do that press Windows Key + X and choose Network Connections from the menu.
- Locate your wireless network adapter and right-click on it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- Click the Configure button.
- Go to the Advanced tab and select Wireless mode.
- Select 802.11g from the drop-down menu.
- Save changes and check if the problem is resolved.
According to users, you can fix problems with the default gateway by setting the wireless mode from 802.11g/b to 802.11g. To do that, follow these steps:
7. Use netshell reset command
- Start Command Prompt as administrator.
- You can do that by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt starts enter the following command:
netsh int ip reset
- After the process is completed close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
Users reported that you can fix The default gateway not available error by resetting TCP/IP. How do you reset your default gateway? Follow the steps above.
8. Uninstall McAfee
Antivirus programs can sometimes interfere with your network configuration, and users reported that McAfee antivirus can cause these types of problems.
After you remove your antivirus the computer will be protected by Windows Defender, but you can also use another third-party antivirus software that will protect you.
To fix this issue it’s recommended to remove McAfee from your PC. Did you know that your antivirus can block the internet connection? Check out this detailed guide to find out more.
Sometimes the removal tool of the antivirus might not remove registry entries or leftover files, and this is why it’s usually better to use a third-party uninstaller.
The default gateway is not available error is usually caused by outdated drivers or by improper network configuration.
To fix any network adapter problems, follow the instructions above and also check out this in-depth guide dedicated to fixing network adapter issues that will surely help out.
If you have any more questions, or you wish to add anything about the subject, don’t hesitate to do so in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Follow the solutions in this thorough article dedicated to fixing the default gateway error and learn how to easily fix the problem.
A default gateway makes it possible for devices in one network to communicate with those in another network. To solve the issue, take a closer look at our quick guide dedicated to fixing default gateway unavailable.
In this case, there’s no intermediate path between the local network and the Internet. So, devices in one network can’t communicate with devices in another network.