Delete the Software Distribution folder on Windows 10 [EASY METHOD]
The Software Distribution folder is responsible for temporarily storing the important update files that Windows needs to perform an update, and if this article we’ll show you how to delete the Software Distribution folder.
Here’s how one user described the issues with the Software Distribution folder on Microsoft Answers forum:
My C drive is full and I have gone through the cleanup process several times. I noticed that every day files get added to the C-Drive under C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Can I safely delete these files? They add up to 100 to 200 MB a day.
For more info on how to do that, follow the steps below.
How can I delete the Software Distribution folder?
Run Command Prompt as administrator
- In the Windows search box, type cmd.
- Right-click the first result and select Run as administrator.
- In the cmd window, type net stop wuauserv and hit Enter to stop the Windows Update Service.
- Next, type net stop bits and hit Enter to stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Leave the Command Prompt (cmd) window open.
- After that, navigate to C:>Windows>SoftwareDistribution
press Ctrl + A to select all the folder’s contents and press Del to delete them. If it doesn’t work or the access is denied, just restart your PC and try again the same steps.
- All the files in the folder should be deleted but the folder should still be there. We want to delete its contents, not the folder.
- Return to the cmd window and type net start wuauserv and hit Enter to restart the Windows Update Service.
- Next, type net start bits and hit Enter to restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
Once you finish the process, Windows will reconfigure the folder and start downloading the necessary files. Your Windows updates will now work as intended, without any issues.
As the majority of Windows 10 users confirmed this method works 100%, and any issues with Windows updates are no longer present. If you followed the steps correctly, your updates should work fine.
For other questions regarding the process, reach for the comments section below.
Browsers are essential tools for surfing the Internet. Also, the interface of any browser is crucial for providing a user-friendly experience. However, this feature is […]
While using the Power Bi desktop app you may face some issues with your data and file. One such error is related to Power Bi […]
The built-in Windows Photos app allows you to edit photos as well as play videos of multiple formats apart from viewing images. Sometime, the app […]