- DirectX is a collection of APIs (Application Programming Interface), which help games get the best out of the available hardware. So, learn how to download DirectX 12 in Windows 11.
- The process is rather simple and shouldn't take more than a few minutes but it will greatly improve the performance.
- Also, find out how to check the version of DirectX installed on your Windows system.
DirectX is a collection of APIs which allows an application to access the system hardware along with the option to configure these for best performance. And since it plays a major role, users have been looking for ways to download DirectX 12 in Windows 11.
DirectX 12 is currently the latest version and offers the best performance. The previous versions include DirectX 9, 10, 11, 11.1, 11.2, and others.
So, if you have been wondering how to get DirectX 12 on your computer, we have it all figured out. Just read the following sections, and by the time you are done with it, DirectX 12 should be downloaded on your Windows 11 computer.
How do I check the version of DirectX installed on the computer?
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run comand, enter dxdiag in the text field, and either hit Enter or click on OK to launch the DirectX Diagntosic Tool.
- Now, locate the DirectX version entry near the bottom, and check the installed version.
That’s the easiest way to check the installed version of DirectX in Windows 11 and the previous iterations. So, if you already had the latest version installed, there’s no need to go ahead with the download process.
How can I download DirectX 12 in Windows 11?
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select Windows Update from the tabs listed in the navigation pane on the left.
- Next, click on Check for updates on the right.
- If an update for DirectX 12 is listed after the scan, download and install it in Windows 11.
- Once done, restart the computer for the changes to come into effect.
So, once you have followed the steps listed here to download DirectX 12 in Windows 11 and have it installed, you should have a better gaming experience.
Is there a standalone package for DirectX 12 in Windows 11?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. DirectX 12 is released through Windows Update and that’s the only way you can get it on your system.
Don’t lose hope! Most new computers already come with DirectX 12 installed. So you wouldn’t need to manually download or install it.
Even if your computer has DirectX 11 installed, it should work just fine since most applications and games that require the tool do not specifically ask for the latest version.
But in case you are having trouble with the performance or encountering errors, updating DirectX should fix the problem. Though if an update is not available, you will have to wait.
Now that you have DirectX 12 downloaded on your Windows 11 computer, it’s imperative that the tool works fine. But, several users have reported facing issues with DirectX, most of which are easily fixable within a few minutes.
In case you are encountering the DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with error, updating the drivers or modifying the power settings should help.
Tell us whether you were able to update DirectX 12 and if yes, your experience of it, in the comments section below.