- You don’t usually have to do much to enable DirectX 12, and in this guide we'll show you how to do that with just a few clicks.
- To keep DirectX 12 in Windows 10 up-to-date, you must make sure your Windows 10 platform is fully updated.
- You can use DirectX 12 in Fortnite by changing the graphics settings as that game has DX11 enabled by default.
- To use DirectX 12 on Windows 10, you need to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed.
DirectX 12 is Microsoft’s multimedia API (application programming interface) for rendering game and video graphics and playing audio. That API is primarily for Windows 10, which also supports older DirectX 11, 10, and 9 versions.
Windows 10 doesn’t include any specific option for enabling DirectX 12. However, there are a few things you can do to ensure you have the very latest DirectX 12 version installed.
Furthermore, you might also need to configure certain in-game settings to enable DirectX 12 for some games.
How do I enable DirectX 12?
1. Enable DirectX 12 in Windows 7 by updating your GPU’s driver
A few select Windows 7 games, such as World of Warcraft, support DirectX 12. You can enable DX12 for selected Windows 7 games by making sure your NVIDIA or AMD GPU has the most up-to-date driver.
Some users might also need to update GPU drivers to enable DX12 Ultimate in Windows 10. To ensure your graphics card driver is up-to-date, run a driver updater utility software.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixDo not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
2. Update Windows 10
- Press the Windows and I keyboard keys at the same time to open Settings.
- Select Update & Security in Settings to open the Windows Update section.
- Click Check for updates to see if there are available patch updates. If so, install the patch updates.
- If you’re not utilizing the latest Windows 10 build version, click the Download and install option for an available feature update.
Although there’s a DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer available, that only reinstalls DX9, 10, and 11.
Updating Windows 10 is the closest way to reinstalling and enabling DirectX 12 when it seemingly isn’t working right. Doing that can restore missing DirectX 12 files on your PC.
When you’ve updated your graphics card driver and Windows 10, your PC will have the latest DirectX 12 version installed.
However, you might still need to configure some games to utilize Direct12 via their graphics settings. Below are two examples of how to enable DX12 for Fortnite and Battlefront 2.
How to enable DirectX 12 for Fortnite
- First, launch the Fortnite game.
- Click the Menu button at the top right of Fortnite’s title screen.
- Click Settings to open game options.
- Scroll down the Video tab to the DirectX Version option.
- Click the arrow button for the DirectX Version setting to select DirectX 12 (Beta).
- Press the Confirm button.
- Click the Apply option.
- Thereafter, restart Fortnite for the DX12 changes to take effect.
As you can see, it’s simple to enable DirectX 12 in Fortnite, as long as you follow the instructions from above.
How to enable DirectX 12 for Battlefront 2
- Start the Battlefront 2 game.
- Open the Home screen in Battlefront 2.
- Select Options to open tab selections for different setting categories.
- Select the Video tab.
- Then toggle the Enable DirectX 12 setting on if it’s off.
- You’ll need to restart Battlefront 2 to apply the new settings.
This is the only way to enable DirectX 12 in Battlefront 2, so be sure to try it out.
That’s how you can make sure DirectX 12 is fully enabled in Windows 10, Fortnite, and Battlefront 2. You’ll need to look through the advanced graphics settings for DX12 options to enable DirectX 12 in other games.