Drive letter assignment is a computer process that refers to attributing alphabetical characters to physical or logical disk drives or partitions.
This process is done automatically by the Windows OS. Of course, the users can easily change the default letter from the Disk Management tool.
The concept of naming hard drives with letters, as it is today, dates from 1967 and it was used first by IBM for its VM (virtual machine) family of the operating systems.
Useful information about hard drive management and issues
- 8 best disk management tools for Windows 10
- How to show drive letters before drive names in Windows 10
- FIX: Unallocated hard drive without losing data [Windows 10]
- FIX: New hard drive not showing up in Windows 10
- What does Enter current volume label for drive C mean?
For any other errors you may encounter with your computer HDD, don’t hesitate to search for a solution in our comprehensive Hard Drive Troubleshooting section.