- The err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception occurs in Google Chrome and it's more common than you suspect. It means that Chrome can't go online due to incorrect proxy settings.
- Discover 9 foolproof hacks to quickly and easily fix err_tunnel_connection_failed in Chrome. If you use a proxy to protect your online privacy and access blocked websites, we have a better alternative.
- If this web browser throws you errors often, bookmark our Chrome Troubleshooting Hub.
- To fix VPN-related issues, make sure to visit our VPN Troubleshooting section.
err_tunnel_connection_failed is an error message caused by a proxy exception. It typically occurs in Google Chrome when the web browser refuses to establish an Internet connection through the proxy.
The problem could be caused by improper Chrome settings or incorrect Windows 10 network configuration. Whatever the cause might be, if you have trouble going online, accessing restricted content, and browsing the web due to the err_tunnel_connection_failed error, follow the 9 simple solutions we provided below to fix it.
Update Chrome to the latest version
- Click the three dots on the top-right corner of Chrome.
- Go to Help > About Google Chrome.
- Wait until Chrome updates to the newest version.
The err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception might be caused by an older and outdated version of Chrome. However, you can quickly fix this problem by simply updating the browser to the latest version.
If you encounter a Chrome update error, check if the Google Update service is enabled on your PC.
Check proxy settings
- Click the Start button on Windows 10.
- Type Proxy settings and click this entry or press Enter.
- Verify proxy settings at Automatic proxy setup or Manual proxy setup.
- If you make any changes, click Save to apply them.
Google Chrome uses the Windows proxy settings, so make sure to check if the proxy configuration is correct, whether you selected automatic or manual proxy setup mode.
If you have proxy connection issues on Windows 10, you might have to perform a malware scan on your computer and remove any suspicious software applications which may be the cause of the err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception.
Clear browsing data and cache
- Click the three dots on the upper-right part of Chrome.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and security on the left-side menu.
- Click Clear browsing data.
- Switch to Advanced.
- Set Time range to All time.
- Check all the boxes.
- Click Clear data.
To ensure that Chrome is the cause of the problem, use a different web browser to go online. Once you determine that the error solely occurs in Chrome, make sure to clear browsing data and cache. Afterward, restart the web browser and try again.
Reset Internet settings
- Open Command Prompt as admin.
- Paste the next lines (press Enter between each line)
NETSH winsock reset catalog
NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log
NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log
- Restart your PC.
Another solution to fix the err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception is to reset the network settings by flushing your DNS and resetting Winsock. If this doesn’t solve the problem here, proceed to the following steps.
Change your DNS servers
- Right-click the Windows 10 Start button and go to Network Connections.
- Click Change adapter options.
- Right-click your Internet connection and select Properties.
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Select Use the following server addresses.
- Set Preferred DNS server to 18.104.22.168.
- Set Alternate DNS server to 22.214.171.124.
- Click OK > OK.
- Try using Chrome again.
Your faulty DNS servers might be the reason why you keep setting the err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception when trying to go online using Google Chrome. In that case, you can change DNS settings to solve this matter.
Reset Chrome settings
- Open the three dots and go to Settings.
- Click Advanced on the left-side menu.
- Select Reset and clean up.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Press Reset settings.
Restoring browser options to its original configuration is one of the simplest ways to fix the err_tunnel_connection_failed error proxy exception.
It’s the same thing as installing a fresh version of Chrome on your PC, which is unaffected by user settings and various ways of customization.
Disable proxy and use a VPN instead
- Click the Start button, type Proxy settings, and press Enter.
- Disable Automatically detect settings.
- Disable Use setup script.
- Disable Use a proxy server.
- Sign up for a VPN subscription plan (we recommend PIA).
- Download and set up PIA on your PC.
- Open PIA and connect to a VPN server.
- Enjoy secure browsing using Chrome.
If everything else fails, consider dropping your proxy server and using a reliable VPN instead. We suggested Private Internet Access (PIA) in our example above because it’s the best VPN for secure browsing. Besides protecting your online privacy, PIA can also unblock websites and help you watch Netflix US, Hulu, and others.
Created by Kape Technologies, Private Internet Access brings more than 3,300 VPN servers spread across 48 countries. It’s compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and even routers. Plus, it has browser addons prepared for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera.
If you still want to use a proxy server, you can do so while the VPN connection is active, thanks to the fact that PIA has built-in SOCKS5 and Shadowsocks proxy. It also includes exclusive DNS servers, an ad and malware blocker for browsers, an emergency kill switch, together with static and dynamic IP addresses.
More about PIA:
- Protects up to 10 devices at once
- No IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
Private Internet Access
Use this VPN instead of a proxy to protect your Chrome browsing sessions and unblock any website.
Switch to a better browser
If Google Chrome sends you errors more often than you would like, consider switching to a better browser like Opera. It’s extremely lightweight, loads pages fast, and supports Google Chrome extensions.
Furthermore, Opera is wrapped in an intuitive and fully customizable interface. You can organize multiple workspaces to improve your productivity and directly access services like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram.
And, unlike most web browsers out there, Opera comes with an integrated VPN service that you can use at zero cost. It doesn’t have configuration settings, but you can connect to VPN servers in Europe, America, and Asia.
More about Opera:
- Improve your efficiency by searching in tabs
- Capture, edit, and share screenshots using a Snapshot tool
- Share files, links, and notes between your devices using Opera Flow
- Convert time zones, currencies, and measurement units with a Unit Converter
- Personal news, Battery saver, and Crypto wallet
Switch to a better browser to avoid getting errors like err_tunnel_connection_failed.
To recap, err_tunnel_connection_failed is a common error proxy exception that occurs in Google Chrome. However, you should be able to fix it in no time using the solutions we provided above.
If you’re using a proxy server to protect your online privacy and unblock websites, you should consider replacing it with a premium VPN service like PIA since it’s faster, more secure, and less prone to errors.