How to fix error 1722 in Windows 10
Error 1722 is one that can occasionally occur when installing or removing software from Windows. Error 1722 returns the following error message: “ERROR 1722 There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.”
Thus, the error message highlights that this issue pertains to the Windows Installer, which many software depend upon for installation. So it might be that the Windows Installer is corrupted, has invalid registry entries or just that the service isn’t running. If this error message pops up when you install or remove certain software, this is how you can fix it.
Fix error 1722 FSX on Windows 10
- Scan the Registry
- Start the Windows Installer Service
- Reregester the Windows Installer Service
- Open the Program and Uninstall Troubleshooter
- Enable Windows Script Hosting
- Set up a new Admin Account
1. Scan the Registry
You can fix Windows Installer registry entries with a registry cleaner, otherwise system optimization software. Most system optimizers include a registry cleaner, and this software guide provides further details for some of the best registry cleaners. CCleaner is a registry cleaner with millions of users, and this is how you can run a registry scan with that software.
- Press the Free Download button on this webpage to save CCleaner’s installer to Windows.
- Then you can open CCleaner’s setup wizard to add the software to Windows.
- Open CCleaner and click Registry to open the registry utility shown directly below.
- Select all the check boxes there, and then press the Scan for Issues button.
- Thereafter, press the Fix Selected Issues button.
- A dialog box opens requesting that you back up the registry. Click Yes, select a folder to save to and press the Save button.
- Next, press the Fix All Selected Issues button to repair registry.
2. Start the Windows Installer Service
- Check that the Windows Installer service is running by pressing the Win key + R hotkey and entering ‘services.msc’ in Run’s text box. That will open the window shown directly below when you press the OK button.
- Scroll to and then double-click Windows Installer to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- If the service status is stopped, press the Start button on the Windows Installer Properties window.
- Then press the OK button to close the window.
3. Reregester the Windows Installer Service
- Reregestering Windows Installer can kick-start it and resolve error 1722. To reregister Windows Installer, press the Win key + X hotkey.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the window directly below.
- Input ‘msiexec /unregister‘ in the Prompt’s window, and press the Return key.
- Then enter ‘msiexec /regserver‘ in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Close the Command Prompt, and then restart the Windows OS.
4. Open the Program and Uninstall Troubleshooter
The Program and Uninstall troubleshooter is one that fixes software installation issues. As such, this troubleshooter might come in handy for fixing error 1722. This is how you can run that troubleshooter.
- First, open this webpage in your browser.
- Press the Download button on that page to save the troubleshooter to Windows.
- Open the folder that you saved the troubleshooter to.
- Click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab to open the Program and Uninstall troubleshooter window in the shot directly below.
- Press the Next button to go through the troubleshooter.
5. Enable Windows Script Hosting
Error 1722 might be due to disabled Windows Script Hosting. Thus, activating Windows Script Hosting could fix error 1722. This is how you can activate Windows Script Hosting with the Command Prompt.
- First, select to open Command Prompt (Admin) via the Win + X menu.
- Enter ‘REG DELETE “HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings” /v Enabled /f’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
- Input ‘REG DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings” /v Enabled /f’ in the Prompt, and then press the Enter key.
6. Set up a new Admin Account
Some persons have also confirmed that setting up a new Windows admin account, and then installing the required software within that user account, can also fix error 1722. You can set up a new user account in Windows 10 by clicking Settings on the Start menu and selecting Account.
- Next, click Family & other people; and then select the Add someone else to this PC option.
- Click the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and then enter the required details.
- Click the Change account type button under the new user account, select Administrator from the Account type drop-down menu and click OK.
- Then you can restart Windows 10 and sign in with the new account.
So that’s how you can fix Windows Installer error 1722 to install or uninstall software that relies on the installer service. You could also try fixing the issue with repair utilities included in this software guide. If you still need further resolutions, check out this article that provides more tips for fixing Windows Installer.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix error 87 “The parameter is incorrect”
- How to fix error 0xc00000d “Your PC needs to be repaired” on Windows 10
- 5 of the best flight simulator games for PC
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]