If you’re getting the “ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION” error, follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this article to fix it.
ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION: Background and how to fix it
ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION affects all Windows versions, but occurs more frequently on older Windows versions. This error type can occur in a variety of situations:
- when upgrading your PC to Windows 10
- when installing the latest Windows updates
- when downloading apps from the Windows Store
- when launching various apps
- when performing various tasks, such as printing, opening media files, etc.
There are many invalid_function errors. The most common ones are the following:
- ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION 1 (0x1). This error mainly occurs if the files you are trying to access corrupted files.
- ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION Incorrect function.
How to fix ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION
Solution 1 — Run a full system scan
Malware may cause various issues on your computer, including errors. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer. You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus solutions.
Solution 2 — Repair your registry
The simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong. If you haven’t installed any registry cleaner on your computer, check out our article on the best registry cleaners to use on Windows 10 PCs.
You can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. However, this utility is only available on Windows 10. Here’s how to run an SFC scan:
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Solution 3 — Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues. Go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the available updates. To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type “update” in the search box. This method works on all Windows versions.
If you’re looking for a particular update, go to Microsoft’s Update Catalog website. Simply type the KB number of the respective update, hit Enter and then click on the download button.
Windows updates are meant to improve the operating system’s stability and reliability, but sometimes they bring issues of their own. For this reason, it’s possible that some updates cause various INVALID_FUNCTION errors.
Solution 4 — Update your PC drivers
Outdated drivers may also trigger INVALID_FUNCTION errors. As a result, install the latest driver updates on your PC and see if this action solves the problem. Here’s how to update computer drivers for various Windows versions.
How to update drivers on Windows 10
You can fix the most common driver issues by installing the latest Windows updates. Simply type “update” in the Search box, and click Check for Updates to download and install the latest updates.
If you want to install particular drivers, launch Device Manager. Expand the available categories and select the device that you wish to update the driver for. To install the latest driver updates for that device, right-click on it and select Update Driver.
A third option is to download the available driver updates directly from the manufacturer’s website.
How to update drivers on Windows 7
You can set Windows 7 to automatically install the latest driver updates on your computer.
- Go to Start > click Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the name of your computer > select Device installation settings.
- Click Yes, do this automatically (recommended), and then click Save changes. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
You can also use Windows Update to install the latest driver updates on your machine. If Windows can’t find a driver for your device, you can download the available driver updates directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Solution 5 — Perform a clean boot
A clean boot starts Windows using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This action eliminates software conflicts, and helps you determine what conflict is causing the annoying INVALID_FUNCTION errors.
How to perform a clean boot on Windows 10:
- Type System Configuration in the search box > hit Enter
- On the Services tab > select the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all.
3. On the Startup tab > click on Open Task Manager.
4. On the Startup tab in Task Manager > select all items > click Disable.
5. Close the Task Manager.
6. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box >click OK > restart your computer.
How to perform a clean boot on Windows 7:
1. Go to Start > type msconfig.exe > select the System Configuration utility.
2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option > uncheck the Load startup items check box.
For more information on how to perform a clean boot on other Windows versions, check out Microsoft’s support page.
Solution 6 — Uninstall and reinstall the apps and programs affected by the INVALID_FUNCTION error
If the INVALID_FUNCTION error occurs when using a particular app or program, try uninstalling and reinstalling the respective programs. Also, if this error occurs shortly after installing a new app or program, try uninstalling the respective app or program.
Solution 7 — Clean your temporary files and folders
The simplest and quickest manner to delete your temporary files and folders is to use Disk Cleanup. As you use your computer or browse the Internet, your PC accumulates various unnecessary files.
These so called junk files may affect your computer’s processing speed, causing apps to respond slowly or may also trigger various error codes, including the ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION errors.
Here’s how to use Disk Cleanup on Windows 10:
1. Go to Start > type Disk Cleanup > launch the tool
2. Select the disk that you want to clean > the tool will them tell you how much space you can free up
3. Select “Clean up system files”.
Here’s how to use Disk Cleanup on Windows 7:
- Go to Start > type Disk Cleanup > open Disk Cleanup.
- In Disk Cleanup’s description section, select Clean up system files and select the drive that you want to clean up > click OK.
- On the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete > click OK > select Delete files.
The good news is that the “ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION” error occurs quite rarely. If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, feel free to list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
Blu-ray is, without doubt, the most powerful video content hub today, which is a marked improvement to the preceding DVD medium. However, its convenience of […]
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations usually contain important, sometimes classified, documents. Hence, most people tend to password-protect such documents against unauthorized access. However, what happens if you […]
The reception desk is the face and voice of any organization. An automated receptionist software simplifies the entire process of visitor management. Whether it’s the customer, […]