Full Fix: Fallout 4 Doesn’t Work in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
Fallout 4 was one of the most anticipated games that was released this year, and although it’s an amazing game, some Windows 10 users are reporting issues with it, so let’s see if there’s a way to fix this issues.
Users report that Fallout 4 keeps crashing few seconds after they start a game, and this can be extremely frustrating since they cannot play the game they just bought, but don’t worry there are few solutions that might be helpful.
How to Solve Fallout 4 Problems in Windows 10
Fallout 4 is a great game, but many users reported various issues with it. Speaking of issues, these are some of the most common Fallout 4 problems on Windows 10:
- Fallout 4 Windows 10 won’t start, launch – According to users, sometimes you might not be able to start Fallout 4 at all on your PC. If you’re having this issue, you might be able to fix the problem by using one of our solutions.
- Fallout 4 has stopped working Windows 10 – This is also a relatively common problem with Fallout 4. To solve it, try running Fallout 4 in Compatibility mode.
- Fallout 4 Windows 10 black screen – If you’re encountering a black screen whenever you try to run Fallout 4, the problem might be your graphics card. To fix the issue, be sure that you’re using a dedicated graphics card to run Fallout 4.
- Fallout 4 Windows 10 crash – Another problem with Fallout 4 is crashing. If you’re having this problem, be sure that your drivers are up to date.
- Fallout 4 Windows 10 not responding – This is another common problem with Fallout 4. To fix it, be sure that other third-party applications aren’t interfering with your game.
- Fallout 4 x3daudio1_7.dll is missing Windows 10 – This error can appear if you don’t have the necessary components installed. To fix it, install DirectX and the required C++ Redistributables.
Solution 1 – Update your display drivers
Before we start, you’ll need Display Driver Uninstaller, also known as DDU. If you don’t have the tool installed you can download it from here. After you’ve downloaded DDU we can start the process of driver updates.
- Firstly, run DDU to uninstall your display drivers. To see how to use this tool, be sure to check our article on Display Driver Uninstaller.
- After the uninstall process is completed you can go to your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.
- When the download is completed just install the drivers and restart your computer.
Check and see if the issue is resolved. We also have to mention that sometimes the latest drivers can cause issues, so you might consider downloading the earlier version. If you need more information, be sure to check our article on how to update graphics card driver.
Updating drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to download DriverFix to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
– Get now DriverFix from the official website
Solution 2 – Uninstall Raptr software
If you can’t run Fallout 4 on your Windows 10 PC, the problem might Raptr software. According to users, this software can interfere with Fallout 4 and prevent you from running it. However, you can fix the issue simply by removing the problematic application.
There are many ways to do that, but the best way is to use uninstaller software to remove it. Many applications tend to leave files and registry entries even after you remove them, and sometimes these files can cause problems in the future.
To ensure that an application is completely removed, you might want to use tools such as Revo Uninstaller, IOBit Uninstaller (free) or Ashampoo Uninstaller. These applications are designed to completely remove applications from your PC, and by using them, you’ll remove Raptr software entirely.
Solution 3 – Check your antivirus
Sometimes antivirus tools can interfere with your applications and cause various problems. If you’re unable to run Fallout 4 on your PC, you might want to check if your antivirus is the problem. To fix this issue, it’s advised to disable your antivirus completely and try to run the game again.
If the issue persists, you might want to uninstall your antivirus and switch to a different antivirus solution. Antivirus tools such as Bitdefender and BullGuard come with a feature called Gaming Mode, so they won’t interfere with your games at all. If your antivirus is the problem, be sure to try one of these tools.
Solution 4 – Download 1.1.30 Beta Update
Some users report crashes that occur every 10-15 minutes into the game, and in order to fix it, you’ll need to install 1.1.30 Beta Update. To install the update you need to do the following:
- Open Steam and find Fallout 4.
- Right click it and choose Properties.
- Find Beta section and select 1.1.30 Beta Update to download.
After the 1.1.30 Beta update has been downloaded run the game and see if the issue is resolved.
- READ ALSO: How to Fix the Xlive.dll Windows 8, 10 Issue
In order to boost your game performance and get rid of crashes, slowdowns, lags, low FPS and other annoying issues, we recommend downloading Game Fire (free).
Solution 5 – Run the game in compatibility mode
Before we start, make sure that you have latest stable drivers installed and that you’ve downloaded 1.1.30 Beta update.
- Open Steam and find Fallout 4. Right click it and choose Properties.
- Next, go to Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
- Go back to Local Files tab and click on Browse Local Files.
- Find Fallout4.exe and right click it. Choose Properties from the list.
- Go to Compatibility tab. Now select Run this software in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7 from the list. Also, make sure that you check Run as Administrator checkbox as well. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Now repeat Step 5 for Fallout4Launcher.exe (it should be located in the same folder as Fallout4.exe).
Solution 6 – Change the Fallout4Prefs.ini
Users complain that they can’t run Fallout 4 in fullscreen mode, but at the same time, the game works great in windowed mode. To fix this you need to do the following:
- Open File Explorer and go to Users<username>DocumentsMy GamesFallout 4.
- Open the file called Fallout4Prefs.ini with Notepad.
- Find the following variables and change them to these values:
- bFull Screen=0
- iSize H=1080
- iSize W=1920
- Also, make sure that iSize H and iSize W match the current screen resolution that you’re using.
- Save the changes and start the game.
Solution 7 – Change your video settings
According to users, you might be able to fix this problem simply by changing the resolution of the game. To solve this issue, your in-game resolution should match the display resolution in Windows. After changing your resolution, check if the problem still persists.
Several users reported that switching to Windowed mode fixed the problem for them, so you might want to try that as well. Surprisingly, few users reported that disabling the windowed mode fixes the issue for them, so be sure to try both settings.
Solution 8 – Repair the C++ Redistributables installation
Many applications require C++ Redistributables in order to work properly, and if these components are missing or if they aren’t installed properly, you might not be able to run Fallout 4 on your PC. To fix that issue, it’s advised to install or repair the necessary components. This is rather simple since the necessary C++ Redistributables are already available with Fallout 4. To install them, just follow these steps:
- Navigate to Fallout 4 installation directory. By default, it should be SteamsteamappscommonFallout 4.
- Now navigate to the vcredist2012 directory.
- In there, you should see two vcredist.exe files. Run both files and choose Repair from the menu.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
After repairing the installation for both vcredist.exe files, the issue should be completely resolved, and your game should start working again.
Solution 9 – Check if your graphics card meets the hardware requirements
Fallout 4 is a demanding game, but before you can run it, you need to check if your PC meets the hardware requirements. According to users, they were unable to run Fallout 4 because their graphics card didn’t support DirectX 11.
Fallout 4 requires DirectX 11 support, and if your graphics can’t work with DirectX 11, your only option is to upgrade your graphics card. Before upgrading, be sure to check your graphics card configuration and be sure that your graphics card doesn’t support DirectX 11.
Solution 10 – Change Switchable Graphics Application Settings
According to users, if you can run Fallout 4 on your Windows 10 PC, be sure to change Switchable Graphics settings. To do that, open Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control Panel, and locate Fallout 4 on the list. Now change the Graphics settings to High Performance.
After doing that, save changes and try to start the game again.
Solution 11 – Make sure that you’re using 64-bit system
According to users, Fallout 4 doesn’t work on 32-bit systems, so if you’re using a 32-bit operating system, you won’t be able to run Fallout 4. In order to install a 64-bit operating system on your PC, you need to have a 64-bit processor. It’s also worth mentioning that you can’t convert 32-bit into a 64-bit system.
If you’re using a 32-bit operating system, you’ll need to perform a clean install and install a 64-bit system instead. Almost all newer computers support 64-bit operating systems, so you won’t have any issues installing and running a 64-bit operating system on your PC.
That’s about it, I hope these solutions helped you to solve the problem, and that you’ll be able to normally play your new Fallout game on Windows 10. If you have any comments or questions, just reach for the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- 8 best tank games for Windows 10
- Fix: Common War Thunder Problems on Windows 10
- How to fix the alien disguise bug in The Sims 4
- Common Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus bugs and how to fix them
- Windows 10 build 17063 bugs: install fails, no sound on Edge, games stutter
Color printers are great, but some users reported that their printer won’t print yellow color. This issue mostly has to do with the ink level […]
The Xbox Companion App, previously Xbox App for Windows 10 brings a new set of features such as party chat, messaging and retains the old […]
Writing in Arabic on your Windows 10 PC has never been easier. You can choose from a wide range of applications that help you write […]