- If you have problems while trying to use your email, your antivirus might block the mail client.
- You can easily fix the issue by tweaking the antivirus or email settings and we're showing you how.
- If you suspect the antivirus behave erratically sometimes, take a look at our Antivirus Troubleshooting section.
- For the entire library on this topic, visit the Antivirus Hub.
Most of the antivirus programs available for the Windows 10 system come with integrated mail support. Thus, shortly, these security programs can scan the incoming / outgoing emails within your existing accounts, regardless of what email client is being used.
While this security feature is extremely important, sometimes it can bring further problems. For example, without any apparent reasons, the antivirus can block your emails.
So, instead of scanning for possible threats, the security program might block by default all incoming and outgoing emails. In that situation, you need to find a way to re-enable the email client functionality and to set a new rule within the antivirus firewall, or to add an exclusion for the email app you’re using.
These operations can be completed differently depending on the antivirus software that’s being used. So, to show you how to resolve this security issue, we’re going to detail the steps to follow for the most popular antivirus programs available for the Windows 10 OS.
How do I fix the antivirus blocking email problem
- Open the Bitdefender user interface.
- From the left panel click on the Protection icon.
- Then, access the View Features link.
- From the Firewall section, click on the Settings icon.
- Go to the Rules tab and click on Add to create a new Firewall exception.
- Load the executable file for the Email client and allow access for it.
- Complete the other field by using on-screen prompts.
- Save your changes and then restart your Windows 10 system.
Remember: on Bitdefender you can also add a website or any other similar source (if, for example, you are using an online Email client) to the Whitelist by following:
- From Bitdefender, go to Protection.
- Click on Web Protection and from the Settings window click on the Whitelist link.
- Just enter the address of the blocked website or webpage and click on Add.
- Save your changes in the end and restart your computer.
- Launch your Norton app.
- From the main user interface, click on the Options button.
- Then, access the Email link.
- You can now disable the email scanning feature by unchecking the Scan incoming Email and Scan outgoing Email fields.
- Save your changes.
These settings will disable email scanning when emails are blocked by Norton without apparent reasons. However, you can try to add a new rule within Firewall, as explained:
- Open Norton.
- From there click on Advanced.
- Select Firewall from the left panel.
- Click on the Settings icon from the Application Blocking row.
- Select Add application and add the executable file for your email client.
- Save everything and enjoy.
- Open Kaspersky and from the upper-right corner click on Settings.
- Under Protection, you can select the Mail Anti-Virus option.
- Now, from the main window click on the Settings button (located under Security level).
- Switch to Additional tab and choose how you want to set Kaspersky scan your emails and your email clients.
- Save these changes and enjoy.
- Open AVGInternet Security.
- From the top-right corner click on the Menu button.
- Go to Settings and choose Components.
- Scroll down to Firewall feature and head towards Customize.
- Under Network Profiles choose to change the network from Public to Private, or the other way around depending on what’s currently set on your antivirus.
- In the end, you should be able to access your emails once again.
For Avira you should customize the email settings within your
These settings might depend on each email program but the main idea is to: deactivate the option that uses encrypted SSL/TSL/STARTTLS connections under the incoming and outgoing server protocol; additionally, the following ports shouldn’t be used: 25 (SMTP), 143 (IMAP) and 110 (POP3).
Another solution will be to deactivate the Avira Mail Protection feature:
- On your computer launch the search field – click on the Cortana icon.
- In the search field enter Apps & features and click on the result with the same name.
- From Apps & Features window finds the Avira entry.
- Right-click on Avira and choose Modify followed by Next.
- Uncheck the Mail Protection field and save your changes.
Avast works on shields and the mail scan feature is integrated within such shield. So, if the antivirus is blocking your emails you need to customize the Avast email shield:
- Run Avast on your computer.
- Click on Settings and access Components.
- Find the Mail Shield entry and access it (click on Customize).
- From there you can afterward choose how to configure this scan engine.
- You can disable this shield or you can try to disable parts of it – such as SSL scanning, or sensitivity.
- Hopefully, after applying the new settings you will be able to access your emails once more.
In Avast you can add a new Firewall rule for your email client as followed:
- Run Avast and go to Protection.
- Click on the Firewall entry.
- From the bottom of the screen click on Application settings.
- Then, click on New application rule.
- Just add the app you want to include in the Firewall exception list.
In most situations, the steps from above should help you unlock your email messages after the Email app got blocked by your antivirus.
If you use a different security program, don’t panic; you should be able to use similar settings in order to add your Email client to the AV whitelist or to add a new exclusion for your email software.
Anyway, don’t forget to share your experience and your own observations with us and with other users – you can do that easily by using the comments field from below.
FAQ: Learn more about email client issues
- Does antivirus block email notifications?
The antivirus per se, no, but the firewall option might act a little bit too overprotective with certain processes. It is better to customize its features.
- How to check if firewall is blocking emails?
The process is not that difficult and we have a step-by-step guide that shows you how to fix firewall blocking certain processes.
- Why is my email being rejected by the server?
If an email is rejected by the server, chances are you need to check the outgoing mail server settings.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in December 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.