Fix antivirus blocking printing on Windows PCs
Most of us, regular Windows 10 users, try to secure our systems with dedicated antivirus solutions. It can by specialized programs, or built-in Microsoft security software, but the final goal is the same: protecting our personal data and files.
But, what should you do when these security measures are messing up some of our usual devices? I’m talking about situations that can get quite annoying such as when the antivirus program is blocking the printing process or the printer itself.
If something like that happens, you need to know that the issue can be fixed. And, in our case, when discussing about the ‘antivirus is blocking the printing / printer’ situation, the problems can be addressed without hassle by adding an antivirus exception or by creating a new Firewall rule.
More unprofessional solutions imply in temporarily deactivating the antivirus software during the printing process or while you need to use the printer (locally or through a network). But, that’s not really a solution as it implies in repeating the same process each time you need to print something. So, bottom line, what you need to do is to ‘communicate’ with your security program and let it know which program / process can be trusted and which cannot.
Hint: before following the troubleshooting methods from below make sure that the printer / printing problems are indeed caused by your antivirus – just disable your antivirus and resume the printing operation; if everything works without problems you can use the steps from below, otherwise it might be another thing that stands behind the printing malfunctions.
How to fix the ‘antivirus is blocking printer / printing’ issue
As already outlined, you need to add an exception or to create a Firewall rule within your antivirus program. Well, here is how you can complete these processes for some of the best security programs available for the Windows 10 platform:
- Run Bitdefender on your PC – just double-click on its icon usually located in the system tray.
- Now, from the main user interface, click on the Protection icon.
- Next, click on the View Features link.
- Under Firewall section go and click on the Settings icon.
- Switch to Rules tab and click on Add for setting up a new Firewall exception.
- Now, choose the executable file for your printer in order to enable access for its functionality.
- Complete the other field by using on-screen prompts – if you are using a wireless printer, or if you want to print files over a network, enter the implied URL similar as you did for the executable file.
- Save your changes and then restart your Windows 10 system.
In Kaspersky the Firewall rules can be modified by following:
- Bring up the Kaspersky main user interface.
- Navigate to Settings and from that field click on the Additional section.
- Within the right frame of the windows that will be displayed on your computer, select Threats and exclusions.
- Click on the Configure exclusion rules link.
- Just fill out the required fields and add exclusion for your printer (locally or through a network).
- Open Avast on your Windows 10 computer.
- Then, go to Protection.
- Under Protection, select the Firewall entry.
- Choose Application settings, located at the bottom of that screen.
- Next, initiate a new Firewall rule by choosing New application rule.
- Just add the app you want to include into the Firewall exception list.
- Save everything and reboot your system in the end.
- From Avira you need to go to Menu followed by Configuration.
- Then, you have to access the Internet Protection feature.
- From there you can pick up the Application rules entry.
- So, click on the Application rules link in order to bring the Firewall settings.
- Select Change parameters and under allowed programs list locate the printer app and enable it.
- Launch the AVG app and from its main interface click on the Firewall option (it should be the last entry).
- Next, from Enhanced Firewall click on the Settings icon – it should be located at the bottom of that window.
- Choose Advanced Settings and from the left side click on set avast exclusion rule.
- Now, click on the Add button and fill up the on-screen form in order to add a new exclusion for your printer.
- Save your new settings and reboot.
- Open the Norton app.
- Go ahead and select Advanced options.
- The Firewall entry should be located in the left panel; select it.
- Click on the Settings icon from the Application Blocking row.
- Pick up Add application and set the executable file for your printer.
- Apply these settings and save everything.
7. Windows Defender
- Open Windows Defender Security Center – in the Windows Search field (just click on the Cortana icon) type Windows Defender and launch the app with the same name.
- Select Virus & threat protection and navigate towards Virus & threat protection settings.
- From there you can choose Add or remove exclusions.
- You can now include your printer in the exclusion list which means that you can now successfully use your printer without any further issues.
So, these are the steps that should be applied when the antivirus is blocking your printer or the printing process. If you are currently using a different program than the already discussed ones, don’t panic; you should be able to use similar configuration steps for your own security software.
In that respect, if you have further questions or if you need our further assistance don’t hesitate and get in touch with our team (you can do it by using the comments field from below).
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Antivirus blocking System Restore in Windows 10
- 7 best free antivirus solutions for Windows 7 64-bit
- ScanGuard Antivirus: Here’s what you need to know about it