- How to repair .NET Framework in Windows 10 Run a System File Checker Scan Open the .NET Framework Repair Tool Repair .NET Framework via Programs and Features Reinstall .NET Framework NET Framework is a runtime environment and programming framework that's essential for running some software.
- If so, you can select a Change/Uninstall option to repair corrupted .NET Framework versions.
How to repair .NET Framework in Windows 10
- Run a System File Checker Scan
- Open the .NET Framework Repair Tool
- Repair .NET Framework via Programs and Features
- Reinstall .NET Framework
NET Framework is a runtime environment and programming framework that’s essential for running some software. Thus, a .NET Framework error message might pop up in Windows when you run certain software if .NET gets corrupted. For example, one .NET error message states: Microsoft .NET Framework Error: Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.
If you suspect that .NET Framework is corrupted on your Windows laptop or desktop, check out some of the potential resolutions below.
SOLVED: .NET Framework file corruption problems
1. Run a System File Checker Scan
Some .NET Framework versions are integrated within Windows. Thus, running a System File Checker, which fixes corrupted system files, might also repair .NET Framework. You can run an SFC scan as follows in Windows 10 or 8.1.
- Open the Win + X menu with the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to open an elevated Prompt window.
- Before you initiate an SFC scan, input ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ and press Enter.
- Next, input ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt; and press the Return key.
- Wait for the SFC utility to scan, which might take up to 30 minutes. Then restart Windows if the Command Prompt states that Windows Resource Protection repaired system files.
2. Open the .NET Framework Repair Tool
The Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool is a utility for repairing .NET Framework. That’s certainly a utility worth noting for fixing a corrupted .NET Framework. Click Download on this page to save the utility to Windows. Then open NetFxRepairTool from the folder you downloaded it, and click the Next button to initiate the repairs.
3. Repair .NET Framework via Programs and Features
This is a fix more specifically for earlier Windows platforms, such as Windows XP, that don’t include so many built-in .NET versions. The Programs and Features applet lists .NET Framework versions installed via Windows Update in older Windows platforms. If you’ve installed any older .NET Framework version manually, you might also find it listed in Control Panel’s Programs and Features. If so, you can select a Change/Uninstall option to repair corrupted .NET Framework versions.
- To repair .NET Framework versions via the Control Panel, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Open text box, and click the OK button.
- Select a .NET Framework version listed in the Programs and Features applet if you can anything.
- Then you can press a Change/Uninstall button to open a window that includes a Repair .NET Framework option on it.
- Select the Repair .NET Framework to its original state option.
- Then click the Next button to fix .NET Framework.
4. Reinstall .NET Framework
Reinstalling .NET Framework will get rid of the corrupted versions. Then you can replace the corrupted .NET Framework versions by reinstalling them. This is how you can quickly uninstall all .NET versions with the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool and then reinstall them.
- Open this Softpedia webpage in your browser.
- Click the Download Now button on that page to save the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool ZIP to a folder.
- Double-click the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool ZIP in the folder you downloaded it to. Then press the Extract all button.
- Click Browse to choose a path to extract the ZIP to, and press the Extract button.
- Open .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the extracted folder.
- Click Yes on the dialog box that opens.
- Then select the .NET Framework – All Versions option on the Product to cleanup drop-down menu.
- Press the Cleanup Now button.
- You can quickly reinstall .NET Framework versions with All in One Runtimes, which enables users to reinstall all essential Windows runtimes. To add that software to Windows, click All in One Runtimes on this webpage.
- When you’ve launched All in One Runtimes, select the .NET Framework check boxes on the Installation tab.
- Click Install to reinstall .NET Framework.
- This guide also includes more information on how to download .NET Framework.
So that’s how you can fix corrupted .NET Framework in Windows. In addition, check for Windows updates that might provide .NET updates with the Check for updates button in Settings. Fixing corrupted .NET Framework will ensure you can run all software that needs it.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Redstone 5 brings a new Net Adapter Framework
- COMException error in .NET Framework gets fixed with latest Patch Tuesday updates
- Learn programming both online or offline with these software tools