- Loadlibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect might appear due to corrupted system files or when necessary services are not running.
- If this issue pops-up on your PC, install the latest drivers, manually or using a third-party tool.
- To fix the Windows error 87, make sure to check the antivirus or firewall settings.
- You can also run the Windows 10 built-in troubleshooting tools in order to solve the problem.
If you encounter LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect on your computer, it could be due to a bug in the OpenGL driver that appears when another program tries to access it.
This error message also appears when a required service isn’t started on your PC, services such as Plug and Play, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, and Remote Access Connection Manager.
LoadLibrary error 87 can also happen when you try to copy files to a SharePoint server yet the file itself is restricted. Hardware or corrupted file are another cause.
There are different solutions to fix this issue based on your situation. However, error 87 tends to be unspecific so you cannot really narrow it down to one solution, but here are some fixes you can try.
How do I fix LoadLibrary failed error 87?
1. Perform a clean boot
- Go to the windows search box and type msconfig.
- Select System Configuration to open the system configuration box.
- Find Services tab.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services box and click Disable all.
- Reboot your computer.
A clean boot eliminates any software conflicts that may be causing the problem. In order to successfully perform a clean boot on Windows 10, you have to be logged on as the administrator.
You will have a clean boot environment after following these steps. If you still cannot fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
2. Run DISM tool
- In the windows search box, type cmd and open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following commands and press enter after each:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool, can fix damaged system files or various Windows corruption errors.
Once the repair is complete, reboot your computer and check if the problem persists, after which you can run an SFC scan as described in the next solution.
The DISM tool usually takes 15 minutes to complete, however, sometimes it may take longer. Do not cancel when it is running.
If you want to learn more about this great Windows built-in tool, don’t hesitate to check our comprehensive article and discover everything you should know.
3. Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files
- Go to the Windows search box and type CMD.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Type sfc/scannow and press Enter.
A System File Checker scan checks or scans all protected system files, and then replaces the incorrect versions, with the genuine, correct Microsoft versions.
Restart your computer and try to install updates again. If using System File Checker doesn’t help you fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
4. Use Windows app troubleshooter
- Open the Windows search box and type Control Panel.
- Go to the top right corner and change View by option to Large icons.
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Click on View all option on the left panel.
- Select Windows Update.
- Follow the instructions to run the app troubleshooter
The app troubleshooter automatically fixes some of the problems that may prevent apps from running, which includes incorrect security or account settings.
If working with Windows Troubleshooter is a nightmare, you can take a look at our dedicated article and discover more great troubleshooting software tools.
5. Update the display driver
- Right-click Start and select Device Manager.
- Find Display Adapters and click on it to expand the list of adapters.
- Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and select Update Driver.
- Select automatically search for the updated driver software.
- Restart the computer.
Sometimes, error 87 may be as a result of your display adapter drivers, so you can use the steps above to update the Display driver and see if it helps.
You can also check your computer manufacturer’s website and download the latest display drivers for your computer, and install the same.
Updating drivers manually can be time-consuming or you may install the wrong drivers. There are tools that can help you automatically install all the drivers you need.
To make sure that everything goes smoothly and avoid any kind of GPU driver errors, be sure to use a complete driver update assistant that will solve your problems with just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep you GPU on the peaks of their performance without worrying about its drivers.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
6. Install the drivers in compatibility mode
- Download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Save it on your local disk.
- Right-click on the driver set up file and select Properties.
- Click Compatibility tab.
- Check the box next to Run this program in Compatibility mode.
- Select the Operating System from the drop-down list.
- The driver will install, then check its functionality.
- Restart the computer and check if the issue persists
You can go to the graphics card manufacturer’s website and find the latest drivers available for your specific model, then install it using the instructions given on the website.
7. Turn off firewalls and any antivirus
Sometimes having multiple firewalls, antivirus or malware programs, may at times prevent you from performing certain tasks or run processes on your computer.
If this is the cause of the issue, turn either of the three off temporarily then try to log in again. Ensure you turn them back on after you’re done to prevent hackers, viruses from damaging your system.
Did any of these solutions help you to fix the 87: The parameter is incorrect error? Share with us your experience by leaving a comment in the section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
This error has multiple solutions. You can follow our comprehensive guide on how to fix LoadLibrary failed error 87.
DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management. If you want to learn more, check our guide on how to use DISM.
System errors are software hiccups that result in the OS not being able to function properly. You can use our guide on how to fix fatal system errors, whenever you encounter such issues.