How to fix error 87 The parameter is incorrect
If you encounter error 87 the parameter is incorrect on your computer, it could either be due to an attempted copy of a huge file from one partition to another, meaning the maximum size of the file that can be stored has been exceeded.
This error message also appears when a required service isn’t started on your computer such that you won’t connect to a network, and may not be able to install network adapters, thus services such as Plug and Play, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Remote Access Connection Manager and Telephony.
Error 87 can also happen when you try to copy files to a SharePoint server yet the file itself is restricted.
Another likely cause is hardware errors and/or disk or file errors that are corrupted (or whose data is corrupted).
There are different solutions to fix this issue based on your situation, but mostly checking if you can drag and drop to copy the data or changing devices by testing with different drives can help with this problem.
However, error 87 tends to be unspecific so you cannot really narrow it down to one solution, but here are some fixes you can try.
Fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect
- Perform a Clean Boot
- Use System File Checker
- Run DISM tool
- Run System Update Readiness tool
- Use Windows App Troubleshooter
- Update the Display driver
- Get latest drivers and install in compatibility mode
- Disable antivirus software
Solution 1: Perform a Clean Boot
A clean boot eliminates any software conflicts that may be causing the problem.
In order to successfully perform a clean boot on Windows 10, you have to be logged on as the administrator, then follow these steps:
- Go to the search box
- Type msconfig
- Select System Configuration to open the system configuration box
- Find Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click Disable all
- Go to Startup tab
- Click Open Task Manager
- Close Task manager then click Ok
- Reboot your computer
You will have a clean boot environment after following these steps. If you still cannot fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Run DISM tool
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool, helps fix Windows corruption errors when Windows Updates and service packs fail to install due to corruption errors, like if you have a damaged system file.
- Click Start
- In the search field box, type CMD
- Click Command Prompt in the search results list
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to scan for missing components
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth to check for missing or broken files
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to scan and correct any causes of the Windows 10 desktop is slow to load issue
- Press Enter
Once the repair is complete, reboot your computer and check if the problem persists, after which you can run an SFC scan as described in the next solution.
Note: The DISM tool usually takes 15 minutes to complete, however, sometimes it may take longer. Do not cancel when it is running.
If running the DISM tool doesn’t help you fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Solution 3: Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files
A System File Checker scan checks or scans all protected system files, and then replaces the incorrect versions, with the genuine, correct Microsoft versions.
Here’s how to do this:
- Click Start
- Go to the search field box and type CMD
- Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
- Type sfc/scannow
- Press Enter
Restart your computer and try to install updates again.
If using System File Checker doesn’t help you fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Run System Update Readiness tool
If you still cannot fix error 80070490 after an SFC scan, then use the System Update Readiness tool to fix Windows corruption errors, then install the Windows update or service pack again.
This tool is used because inconsistencies are found in the Windows servicing store, which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software.
It checks your computer for such inconsistencies and tries to resolve issues if found.
- Download the System Update Readiness tool by clicking the download link that corresponds to the version of Windows running on your computer. The tool is regularly updated so always download the latest version (check if your computer runs 32 or 64-bit of Windows).
- Click Download on the Download Center webpage
- Install by clicking Open or Run then follow the instructions on your screen
- In Windows Update Standalone Installer dialog box, click Yes. The tool runs automatically for about 15 or more minutes so don’t click Cancel.
- Once it says Installation Complete, click Close
- Reinstall the update or service pack you were trying to install previously
If running the System Update Readiness tool doesn’t help you fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect, try the next solution.
Solution 5: Use Windows App Troubleshooter
The app troubleshooter automatically fixes some of the problems that may prevent apps from running, which includes incorrect security or account settings.
- Right click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Go to the top right corner and change View by option to Large icons
- Click Troubleshooting
- Click on View all option on the left panel
- Select Windows Update
- Follow the instructions to run the app troubleshooter
Does this help fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect problem?
Solution 6: Update the Display driver
Sometimes, error 87 may be as a result of your display adapter drivers, so you can use the steps below to update the Display driver and see if it helps:
- Right click Start
- Select Device Manager
- Find Display Adapters
- Click on Display Adapters to expand the list of adapters
- Right-click on the Display Adapter listed
- Click Update Driver Software
- Select automatically search for the updated driver software
- Restart the computer
You can also check your computer manufacturer’s website and download the latest display drivers for your computer, and install the same.
Update drivers automatically
If downloading the drivers from the manufacturer’s website is not a solution that helped you, we strongly recommend to try Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool.
This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 7: Get latest drivers and install in compatibility mode
You can go to the graphics card manufacturer’s website and find the latest drivers available for your specific model, then install it using the instructions given on the website.
Follow these steps to install in compatibility mode:
- Download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website
- Save it on your local disk
- Right click on the driver set up file
- Click Properties
- Click Compatibility tab
- Check the box next to Run this program in Compatibility mode
- Select the Operating System from the drop down list
- The driver will install, then check its functionality.
- Restart the computer and check if the issue persists
Solution 8: Temporarily turn off firewalls and any antivirus or malware prevention software
Sometimes having multiple firewalls, antivirus or malware programs, may at times prevent you from performing certain tasks or run processes on your computer.
If this is the cause of the issue, turn either of the three off temporarily then try to log in again.
Ensure you turn these programs back on immediately after you’re done to prevent hackers, viruses, and worms from damaging your system.
Did any of these solutions help fix error 87 the parameter is incorrect problem for you? Share with us your experience by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: “Location is not available: Access denied” error on Windows 10
- How to fix error 0x80070005 ‘Access is denied’
- Fix error code 0xc004c003 in Windows 10
In order to design every aspect of a great looking bag or backpack, you will need to be able to design shapes (2D panels). These […]
There’s no denying that Power BI offers a lot of features. Still, many users need even more functions. For example, people want to disable all […]