There is nothing worse than having your Windows 10 PC refuse to boot. You can’t access your files, you can’t send the emails that you really need to send out, all your files and folders are locked away.
Finding a solution to fix this issue seems impossible.
Booting problems in Windows 10 are quite a common issue users have to deal with, and it can be caused by a variety of reasons -a single corrupt byte on your hard drive, a buggy boot driver or missing registry key.
Because the MBR (Master Boot Record) is not infallible -it can become corrupt, damaged or simply dissapear – that makes Windows 10 installations prone to errors.
Windows 10 has plenty of recovery options, of course – Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Startup repair, but if these options don’t fix the issue then you’ll need to use specialized software.
But if the virus has damaged some critical file or hard drive structure, then removing the malware alone won’t be enough.
Whatever software you decide to use, you have to be careful and we recommend you to back up your hard drive before you start to avoid any additional issues.
Even if you don’t have any issues now, it would be advisable to check our list, download any option that appeals to you in order to have them at hand if disaster strikes.
In this article, we will explore the best Windows 10 boot repair software available in 2019. These software options will allow you to access your computer without losing any data.
Paragon Rescue Kit
Part of Paragon Disk Manager, Paragon Rescue Kit is a boot repair software with excellent compatibility and usability features.
It bolsters a wide range of features, comparable to Windows Boot Genius, works fast and safely with a very user friendly interface than can be understood in just a few minutes of using it.
Some notable features :
- User-friendly interface
- Sector back-up – ideal for making a backup image of an entire hard-disk or system partitions
- Fast & easy recovery based on need – entire disk, separate partitions, specific files, etc.
- Create a bootable recovery media with Recovery Media Builder
- Sector backup to save all on-disk information and also system service structures
- Backup to local or externally mounted storage
- Backup to network shares and virtual disks (VHD, pVHD, VMDK, VHDX)
- Restore entire disks, separate partitions or specific files from previously created backup images
- File Transfer Wizard
- Undelete Partition Wizard
- Network Configurator Wizard
- Log saver
Like all the other options presented in this article, it supports being burned either on CD/DVD or a USB-flash drive, and the Boot Correction Wizard is one of the most powerful features on the market.
The Boot Corrector Wizard feature has a wide array of features:
- Correct drive letters in the System Registry of a selected Windows installation
- Correct “boot.ini” on selected disk
- Correct Boot Configuration Data (BCD) files for partitions on selected disk or for partitions on all disks
- Correct the Master Boot Record (MBR) executable code
- Reorder primary partitions (change primary slots)
- Correct the boot record for a selected Windows installation (increment the Serial Number, correct the partition offset, make a copy of the boot record, correct the Bootsect.dos file if exists)
- Set an active partition
- Hide/unhide partitions
- Change Serial Numbers
- Change Partition IDs
- Display the MBR in a more understandable format
- Display partition properties
- Create, display, save or print a boot correction report
Paragon Rescue Kit is now part of Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows.
Windows Boot Genius
Windows Boot Genius is a professional tool specifically designed to fix computer booting issues, repair crashed or corrupted Windows, recover lost data, partitions, etc.
Having this tool at your disposal allows you not to worry about blue or black screen issues while trying to start your computer, and you can also boot up your system with a bootable compact disk or USB drive.
To get started just put the bootable CD in your CD/DVD drive or plug-in the USB drive and restart your computer for the boot-up process to start.
In order to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB drive, run Boot Genius and insert the preferred media into your PC, then click ‘Burn‘.
After the setup is done you want to keep the external media inserted/connected to the problem PC and restart it.
When you accessed the WinPE environment, you will see the icon of Windows Boot Genius. Launching it will allow your computer to go into Windows Rescue mode.
In this section you can choose to recover boot files by using ‘Boot File Recovery’, or locate a master boot code by using ‘MBR Recovery’.
- Create a Windows Boot CD/USB by easily burning bootable .iso file
- Wide array of boot repair tools – boot file repair, boot sector repair, registry repair, registry editor
- Reset/change or remove Windows 10 Local and Domain passwords
- Backup/clone/restore Windows operating system, hard disk and partitions
- Recover lost, deleted or formatted data
- Recover and back-up of Microsoft Product keys for Windows 10, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Data wipe function
- Optimized UI for easy use
For more information, go to the support section of the official Windows Boot Genius webpage.
Ultimate Boot CD
Fixing only some of the issues Windows Boot Genius does, Ultimate Boot CD is a good light-weight option that can help you troubleshoot and rescue an unresponsive computer.
This tool can help you clear Windows 10 computer’s CMOS and also get BIOS updates.
Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) is a bootable ISO that consolidates a good array of diagnostic tools and can be used on a bootable CD/DVD or thumb drive.
Because more and more PC’s are shipped without floppy drives in 2018, Ultimate Boot CD can run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives or USB drives at a higher speed.
Ultimate Boot CD has features and an interface similar to the one of BIOS and works by creating a virtual instance of the floppy and also features a script that allows you to access the utilities from a removable drive.
Cobbled together in over 15 years, Ultimate Boot CD is a bootable collection of the best freeware tools for a variety of rescue tasks.You can easily use it directly from your USB device without any installation required.
Ultimate Boot CD has some useful features :
- Clone or selectively copy from dying drives
- Check individual hardware components
- Determine what’s gone wrong with your hardware
- CPUID V2.19, ASTRA V6.50, G4u V2.6 and HDClone V.7 support
- Q&D Unit/Track/Head/Sector
- Q&D Vital Data Manager
Hiren Boot CD
Hiren’s Boot CD is also a very popular system rescue disc which is assembled especially for Windows computers including every tool that you might in order to make your computer operational again.
This software is actually a Preinstallation Environment with a lot of tools included.
This way of dealing with your Windows 10 booting problems offers you a Windows-like visual platform that will run besides your damaged Windows 10 installation.
Specifically designed for the ‘new age computers’ this software supports UEFI booting and requires a minimum of 2 GB RAM. With the useful tools inside the BootCD ISO, you can solve many problems of your PC and is only compiled of free and legal software.
After the installation is done, Hiren’s BootCD Preinstallation Environment will install the drives for the graphics card, sound, wireless and Ethernet card for your specific hardware configuration.
One of its most useful features is the support for UEFI booting from DVD and USB flash drives. Hiren’s Boot CD has a ISO2USB portable tool that is specifically designed to accomplish that process easily.
It requires Administrator privileges to be able to run it but it’s free for both commercial and non-commercial use.
Some of the best tools included in this ISO are:
- BCD-MBR tools: – BootIce, EasyBCD
- Hard Disk tools/ Data recovery – CheckDISK GUI, Lazesoft Data Recovery, Recuva v1.53, etc.
- HDD defrag – Defragggler v2.22
- HDD diagnostic – GSmart Control, HDDSCAN, etc.
- HDD imaging – Acronis TrueImage, Macrium Reflect PE, etc.
- HDD security – HDD Low Level format Tool
- Antivirus – ESET Online Scanner
- System tools – Speccy v1.32, Ccleaner v5.4, Windows PowerShell, etc.
- Network – TeamViewer, Chrome, PENetwork, etc.
You can find the full list of Hiren’s Boot CD tools and also download it on the tool’s official website .
Boot Repair Disk
Another extremely handy tool is Boot Repair Disk. Based on Linux, it can be used to easily fix Windows 10 MBR issues.
In order to use Boot Repair Disk to fix MBR problems, you first need to download the 64-bit or 32-bit version – depending on your system, then download Unetbootin software.
Then, open Unetbootin, select DiskImage at the bottom of the panel then hit the three dots icon to browse to the Boot Repair Disk ISO.
Select the ISO file and press open. Then you can select the USB flash drive you want to write Boot Repair Disk to and press OK. Once the process is complete, remove the bootable media and shut your system down.
You want to insert your Boot Disk Repair Disk media into the computer with a corrupt MBR, power on the system, enter boot device selection menu by pressing F11 or F12 (depending on your system’s BIOS version), then select the Boot Repair Disk USB flash drive as the bootable source.
Once the lightweight Boot Disk Repair environment loads, you want to select the LXTerminal from the taskbar, type ‘ fdisk -1 ‘ and press enter. This will list your current drives and partitions.
Next, select the B logo in the bottom-right (replacing the Windows Start menu), and head to System Tools > Boot Repair.
The program will now scan your system and then you can click the Automatic repair option, this will usually fix the majority of boot issues.
If this doesn’t fix your problem, you can open the Advanced Options tab and head to the MBR section for more personalised MBR-fix options.
In this article, we suggested some of the best Windows 10 boot repair software the market has to offer in 2019.
The list presented here includes both software with a wide range of capabilities but also specific tools that give you the opportunity to repair particular computer boot problems in order to easily get access to your valuable files.
Let us know what your opinion is about the options presented in this article. Tell us if you have any other Windows 10 boot repair recommendations in the comment section below.
RELATED POSTS TO CHECK OUT: