Windows 10 login screen missing [STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
We all know how the Windows 10 boot sequence works and we all know that credentials are required during the boot operation.
If a password is set, the only way in which we can access the desktop is by filling out the default Windows 10 log in form. Thus, if the log-in screen is missing, you won’t be able to properly use your device.
Anyway, you have nothing to worry about, as during the troubleshooting solutions from below we will see how to fix this system issue.
How can I fix the Windows 10 login screen missing issue?
- Initiate a fresh restart
- Access Windows Safe Mode
- Create a new user account
- Set automatic login
- Run command prompt line at boot
- Perform a start-up repair process
1. Initiate a fresh restart
A restart operation might fix this problem, if the malfunction is not caused by corrupted files or by a malicious app or process. So, if the Windows 10 login screen is missing press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the shutdown process is completed.
Then, re-initiate the boot sequence. If the problem is still there, download one of these registry cleaners and scan your system. If the issue persists, resume the rest of the troubleshooting methods from below.
If you want to fix corrupted files on Windows 10, check out this complete guide that will help you do it with just a couple of steps.
2. Access Windows Safe Mode
If the login screen is missing because of a malicious app or because of a broken process, you should start your device in Safe Mode. While Safe Mode is running third-party apps will be automatically disabled.
Your device will run with a minimal set of drivers and services so if the issue was caused by a third-party process, now you will be able to identify and remove it.
Here is how you can boot your Windows 10 system in Safe Mode from boot window:
- From your start-up screen click the Power button, then press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so click on Restart.
- From the next screen, choose Troubleshoot.
- Next, click on Advanced options.
- Go to Startup Settings.
- Press Restart from the next window.
- Now, just choose to reboot into Safe Mode.
Hint – from safe mode you can run a system scan for automatically addressing possible errors:
- Open an elevated command prompt window: right-click on the Windows Start icon and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the cmd window type sfc/ scannow and press Enter.
- Wait while the scan is running – it will take a while depending on how many files are saved on your device.
- Reboot the system in the end.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look on this guide.
3. Create a new user account
If your account got corrupted (that can happen due to various reasons) you should try to create a new account. Of course, complete this troubleshooting operation from Safe Mode since your Windows 10 login window is still missing.
- First, enter Safe Mode as explained above.
- Then, press Win+I dedicated keyboard hotkeys.
- From System Settings go to Accounts.
- Next, from the left panel click on Family & other users.
- From the next window just follow on screen prompts and register a new account.
- This should fix the Windows 10 login screen missing problem.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
4. Set automatic login
This is a fix that isn’t addressing the actual problem. However, you will manage to use your device without having to enter your username and password during Windows 10 boot sequence:
- Access Safe Mode as detailed during the troubleshooting method from above.
- Then, press Win+R hotkeys in order to launch the Run box.
- Inside the Run box type netplwiz and press Enter.
- The User Accounts window will be displayed.
- From there uncheck the ‘Users must enter a username and password to use this computer’ field.
- Save your changes and reboot your Windows 10 system.
5. Run command prompt line at boot
- From the start-up screen click on Power, then start pressing and holding the Shift keyboard key and while doing that click on Restart.
- Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.
- From the next window click on Command Prompt.
- In the cmd window execute the following command: net user Administrator /active:yes.
- Reboot your computer in the end.
6. Perform a start-up repair process
If the steps explained above aren’t working for you, initiate a start-up repair process.
If you need to make a start-up repair you will first have to create a Windows 10 installation media. You can initiate these processes by following:
- From boot screen enter Windows settings: click on the Power icon, press and hold Shift keyboard key and click on Restart.
- Select Troubleshoot and go to Advanced Options.
- Now, choose System Restore and follow on-screen prompts for completing this troubleshooting solution.
- If you cannot fix the Windows 10 login screen missing problem with a System Restore, complete the Start-up repair process instead.
If you don’t know how to create a Windows 10 installation media, take a look at this step-by-step guide that will help you do it with just a couple pf simple steps.
One of the troubleshooting methods described and detailed above should help you solve the Windows 10 login screen missing issue.
You can tell us what worked for you or how you successfully managed to address this system malfunction by using the comments field from below.
You can also share your observations and your questions as we are here to assist you as soon as possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10
- Fix: Unable to Login with my Microsoft Account in Windows 10
- Windows Hello fingerprint not working? Here’s 9 ways to fix it
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
The HP Deskjet users are reporting issues with the startup error in Windows 10. Namely, at every startup, they see the There was a problem […]
Microsoft is working to implement a reveal password button for its Chromium-based browser. This button will help you make sure if you have correctly entered […]
Everything is better when done with your friends, and video games are no exception. While there are many online multiplayer games available for all the […]