Full Fix: Wdsutil.dll is missing/ not found in Windows 10, 8.1, 7
The “wdsutil.dll is missing” error is a common Windows error which can cause various system issues such as: slow boot up sequences, computer freezing issues, shutdown issues, as well as installation fails.
These .dll errors should be fixed as soon as possible because they affect many system areas. Their main role is to allow multiple software programs to share the same functionality.
The “wdsutil.dll is missing/ not found” error is bugging Windows users
Wdsutil.dll is missing error can prevent you from running certain applications, and speaking of this error, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- The program can’t start because wdsutil dll is missing from your computer – This issue can appear if your Windows installation is damaged, but you should be able to fix the problem simply by running SFC or DISM scan on your PC.
- Wdsutil.dll missing Windows 7, 8.1, 10 – This problem can appear on almost any version of Windows, but even if you don’t use Windows 10, you should be able to apply most of our solutions.
- Wdsutil dll missing error code 0x7e, 0xc1 – Sometimes this message can be followed by a certain error code. To fix that issue, it’s advised that you update all your drivers and check if that helps.
- Wdsutil.dll failed to load – If you keep getting this error message, you might be able to fix it simply by performing an in-place upgrade.
Solution 1 – Run a full system scan
It is possible that this wdsutil.dll error is caused by a malware program running on your computer. Run a full system scan using your antivirus. You can also use one of these anti-hacking tools to literally sweep all malware from your computer.
If you want to ensure that your PC is properly protected from malware, it’s always a good idea to use a good third-party antivirus software. To ensure that your PC is completely protected from online threats, we suggest that you download Bitdefender and perform a full system scan. After removing the malware from your PC, check if the problem is still there.
- READ ALSO: SOLVED: Missing bcrypt.dll on Windows 10
Solution 2 – Manually register wdsutil.dll
According to users, sometimes you might getwdsutil.dll is missing message because the file isn’t properly registered. However, you can fix that problem on your own simply by running a couple of commands in Command Prompt. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) from the menu.
- Type the command regsvr32 /u wdsutil.dll to unregister the file > hit Enter.
- Type the command regsvr32 /i wdsutil.dll to register back your file > hit Enter.
- Close the Command Prompt windows > re-start the program associated with the wdsutil.dll error.
If you’re still having issues on your PC with .dll files, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as missing or corrupted .dlls, malware and hardware failure.
Solution 3 – Use a registry cleaner
A registry cleaning tool can fix the wdsutil.dll registry entries that might be causing the error. You can use one of the following registry cleaners listed in our article “10 best Registry Cleaners for Windows 10“.
If you’re looking for a good registry cleaner that might be able to fix your problem, we suggest that you try CCleaner.
Solution 4 – Update your computer drivers
According to users, sometimes the wdsutil.dll is missing message can appear due to outdated drivers. To fix this problem, you need to update outdated drivers by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager.
- Expand the driver category associated with the wdsutil.dll error > right-click it > select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Re-start the program associated with the wdsutil.dll error.
Alternatively, you can download the drivers right from the manufactuer’s website. This might be ta edious task, especially if you need to update drivers for several devices. If you want to update drivers automatically with just a couple of clicks, we suggest you try TweakBit Driver Updater software.
Solution 5 – Run the SFC scan command
Problems with wdsutil.dll can sometimes occur if your system files are corrupted. However, you might be able to fix this problem simply by performing an SFC scan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X > select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow > press Enter.
- Wait until the command is completed > the program associated with the wdsutil.dll error.
If SFC scan didn’t fix the problem, or if you can’t run SFC scan at all, you might have to use DISM scan instead. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator.
- Now enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command and press Enter.
- DISM scan will now start. The scan can take about 30 minutes, so be sure not to interfere with it.
Once the scan is finished, check if the problem is still there. If the issue is still present, try to run SFC scan again and check if that helps.
Solution 6 – Perform a system restore
If wdsutil.dll is missing error started appearing recently, you might be able to fix it by performing a System Restore. This is an extremely useful feature since it allows you to easily fix many problems. To perform a System Restore, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Now choose Create a restore point option from the menu.
- When System Properties window opens, select System Restore.
- System Restore window will now appear. Click Next.
- If available, check Show more restore points option. Now select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
Solution 7 – Perform an in-place upgrade
If other solutions didn’t fix the wdsutil.dll is missing message, you might be able to fix the problem by performing an in-place upgrade. If you’re not familiar, an in-place upgrade will reinstall Windows and upgrade it to the latest version while keeping all your files intact. The in-place upgrade process is fairly simple, and you can perform it by doing the following:
- Download and run Media Creation Tool.
- When Media Creation Tool starts, select Upgrade this PC now.
- Wait while the setup prepares the necessary files.
- Select Download and install updates (recommended) and click Next.
- Wait while the updates are downloaded.
- Follow the instructions on the screen until you reach Ready to install screen. Click Change what to keep.
- Select Keep personal files and apps option and click Next.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup. Once your system is reinstalled, the issue should be completely resolved.
Solution 8 – Redownload the ISO image
Sometimes this problem can occur while trying to install Windows 10. If this happens, it’s possible that your ISO image is damaged. To fix this problem, you’ll need to download the ISO image again and try to install Windows 10 once again.
Solution 9 – Run the setup from the ISO file
Several users reported wdsutil.dll is missing error while trying to create a bootable flash drive. However, you can circumvent this problem by downloading and mounting the ISO image. After doing that, just run the setup.exe file from the mounted image and follow the instructions on the screen.
Missing wdsutil.dll file can cause many issues on your PC and prevent applications from running. Although this can be a big problem, we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: QLBController.exe stops working
- Fix: Critical_process_died csrss.exe on Windows 10
- Fix: “An error occurred while processing your request” in Windows 10
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]