Some users have posted on Google and Mozilla forums about Gmail‘s buttons not showing or working. Those users can’t see all the buttons they’re supposed to in Gmail, or some of the buttons don’t work when they click them.
Here are some potential resolutions for fixing Gmail’s buttons.
How can I fix Gmail buttons?
1. Open Gmail in another browser
Users might find that alternative browsers display Gmail’s buttons without any issues. So, try opening Gmail in another browser. That won’t fix the issue for the original browser, but users can at least still utilize Gmail if the buttons are ok in other browsers.
Gmail supports the latest versions of Edge, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox.
Alternatively, you can try using Opera. This browser is quite similar to Chrome, but unlike Chrome, it’s not associated with Google, so it won’t send your data to Google.
The highlight of this browser is its security, and in order to provide the best security, Opera will scan all your downloaded files.
This browser also uses privacy-oriented search engines, and it offers tracking and privacy protection. We also have to mention that there’s a built-in ad blocker and VPN.
OperaSend and receive mails via Gmail with ease thanks to this amazing browser and the multitude of extensions that can help improve integration.
2. Reset the network
- Some users have confirmed that they’ve fixed Gmail buttons not showing by resetting their networks. Users can do that in Win 10 by pressing the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter the keyword ‘network reset’ in the search box.
- Click Network reset to open the window shown directly below.
- Then press the Reset now button.
3. Reset the Browser to its default settings
- Users can reset Google Chrome by entering chrome://settings/ in the browser’s URL bar and pressing Enter.
- Then scroll down the Settings page, and click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down to Restore settings to their original defaults, and click that option.
- Then select the Reset settings button to confirm.
Resetting a browser will clear is cache and turn off or remove extensions, which might help fix Gmail‘s buttons.
4. Check the Button label setting
- Some users who can’t see icons for buttons below Gmail‘s search box might need to adjust the Button labels setting. To do that, click Gmail‘s Settings button.
- Select Settings on the menu to open the General tab.
- Then scroll to the Button labels option shown directly below.
- Click the Icons radio button if Text is selected.
- Then press the Save Changes button.
5. Select the default Gmail theme
- Click the Settings button in Gmail.
- Then select Themes to open the Pick your theme window in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Default theme there.
- Then click the Save button.
6. Open Gmail in basic HTML view
Gmail has a Basic HTML View for browsers that it doesn’t support. Gmail’s buttons might be ok in Basic HTML View. So, try switching to Basic HTML View by opening this Google page.
Then select the I’d like to use HTML Gmail option.
The resolutions above have fixed Gmail buttons for some users. Remember that Gmail users can also open their emails within client software, such as Mozilla Thunderbird, that can be better alternatives to the Google web app. So, it’s not essential to utilize the Gmail web app.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.