- Google Chrome is the browser of choice for millions of users worldwide.
- However, Chrome errors can appear, and some users reported that they can’t change the language in Google Chrome.
- To fix the issue, you need to adjust the Chrome’s launch parameters or add the desired language manually.
- This article is a part of our Chrome hub, and if you’re looking for more Chrome-related content, we suggest you check it out.
Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the world. People seldom encounter issues with it. Still, nothing is perfect, and Chrome is no exception.
Its popularity means many people are using Chrome in all corners of the world. So, the language packs are paramount for Google’s browser.
Quite a few users encountered a major issue: Google Chrome won’t change the language.
Fortunately, there are several solutions to this problem and today we will show you how to solve the problem.
What do I do if I can’t change the language in Google Chrome?
1. Add a command line
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager.
- End chrome.exe processes. This will close Chrome completely.
- Right-click the desktop icon of Chrome.
- Click on Properties.
- Insert the CLS at the right end of the target field (also copy the leading space): –lang=eng.
- Click the OK button.
2. Add and remove language
- Type chrome://settings/languages.
- Add the language you do not want and remove it right after to configure Chrome correctly.
3. Change the language in your Google account
- Visit https://myaccount.google.com/u/1/language.
- Edit the default language.
- Edit it again and set your preferred default language.
4. Change your browser
This issue in Chrome could become more than a simple annoyance. To solve the problem completely, you can change your browser. We recommend UR Browser.
It is a lightweight and privacy-oriented tool for surfing the Internet error-free.
Check out our detailed review to learn more about UR Browser.
Not being able to change the language in Google Chrome is a major issue. Fortunately, this is something that you can fix with these simple solutions listed above.
Add and remove the language, change the language in your Google account, or add a command line.
Also, you can choose to use another browser. We recommend UR Browser for an error-free online experience.
If all your bookmarks and other information are on Google Chrome and you don’t want to lose it, we have good news for you. Install one of these tools from our list to import your data from Chrome to UR Browser.
Did our solutions help you? Did you find another method to change the language in Google Chrome? Do let us know in the comments section below!
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- How do I change the language of my browser?
To change the language in Chrome, go to Chrome menu > Settings > Advanced. Now set the Language option to the desired language.
- Where is the Translate button on Chrome?
Google Chrome doesn’t have a translate button, but if you want to translate pages, you can install one of many translate extensions.
- How do you reset Google Chrome?
Resetting Google Chrome is simple, and you just need to go to the Chrome Settings > Advanced and then select the Reset option.
- Why is my Google Chrome in a different language?
Google Chrome is most likely in a different language if you changed the language settings recently. Go to Advanced settings in Chrome to change your language.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.