- Google Chrome is an amazing web browser, but even great browsers have issues.
- Regarding Chrome errors, many users reported error 0xc00000a5 in Google Chrome.
- Fixing this error is simple, and you just have to disable the sandbox mode in Chrome or scan Chrome for malware.
- If you’re looking for more similar guides, we suggest you check out our Chrome hub for more useful information.
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000a5).
Consequently, users can’t browse with Chrome when that error message pops up. One user stated in a Microsoft forum post:
Every time I try to open Google Chrome I get this error code: (0xc00000a5) unable to start correctly. Why is this and how do I fix it?
How can I fix Google Chrome error 0xc00000a5
1. Add a no sandbox flag to Chrome’s desktop shortcut
- If you don’t have a Chrome shortcut on your desktop, open File Explorer with the Windows key + E hotkey.
- Then open the folder that includes Google Chrome.
- Right-click the Chrome.exe and select Send to > Desktop.
- Then right-click the Chrome desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
- Enter -no-sandbox in the Target text box as in the snapshot directly below.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
2. Turn off compatibility mode
- Right-click a Google Chrome shortcut.
- Then select the Compatibility tab.
- Deselect the Run this program in compatibility mode option.
- Click Apply.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
3. Scan for malware
After installing the software, click the Scan Now button on the Malwarebytes window. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine option.
4. Reinstall Google Chrome
- Open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R keyboard.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in the Run box, and select the OK button.
- Then select Google Chrome in the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Then press the Uninstall button on the dialog box that opens.
- Restart Windows before reinstalling Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome’s webpage in Edge or Internet Explorer.
- Click Download Chrome to get the installer for the latest version.
- Open the installer to add Google Chrome to Windows.
One or more of the above resolutions will probably fix error 0xc00000a5 for most users. With error 0xc00000a5 fixed, Google Chrome will then start as expected.
Which one of the methods above helped you fix your Google Chrome issue? Let us know by leaving us your feedback in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- How do I fix error 0xc0000005 on Chrome?
To fix error 0xc0000005 on Chrome, scan Chrome for malware or turn off the Compatibility mode. If that doesn’t help, you might have to reinstall Chrome.
- How do I fix Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop?
To fix a Chrome shortcut on your desktop, simply recreate it. Open Start Menu, locate Chrome and drag and drop it to your Desktop.
- Why does Google Chrome keep saying aw snap?
If Chrome says, Aw snap, the issue is most likely related to corrupted Chrome installation or cache. You can read more about the Aw snap error message in our Aw snap Chrome error article.
- How do I check for malware on Chrome?
To check for malware on Chrome, go to chrome://settings/cleanup in chrome and follow the instructions from there.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.