- Google Chrome is an amazing web browser, but even great browsers have issues.
- Regarding Chrome errors, many users reported getting the 0xc00000a5 error.
- Check out our Software Hub for an amazing collection of useful guides and articles.
- If you’re looking for more similar guides, we suggest you check out our Browsers hub for more useful information.
Error 0xc00000a5 is a Chrome issue that arises for some users when they try to launch the browser. The error message states:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000a5).
Consequently, users can’t browse with Chrome when that error message pops up.
Here is what one user had to state in a Microsoft forum post:
Every time I try to open Google Chrome I get this error code: (0xc00000a5) unable to start correctly. Why is this and how do I fix it?
In this article, we will explore the best ways to fix the 0xc00000a5 Chrome error, so keep reading.
How can I fix the Chrome error 0xc00000a5?
1. Switch to a new browser
Before reading the solutions presented in this article, consider whether it’s not easier to simply switch to another browser before you start through it.
We suggest you download Opera on your computer if you want to use a fast and reliable browser.
Opera has several integrated packages, improved privacy features, and an excellent design, that you can personalize using your favorite theme or wallpaper.
Due to the already integrated VPN, you can be confident that all your data is secure.
As for errors when opening, Opera’s new features have significantly improved users’ experience eliminating all functionality errors.
OperaBrowse the internet and watch your favorite media files error-free. Get an enhanced user exprience with great privacy and security features!
2. Turn off compatibility mode
- Right-click on the Google Chrome shortcut.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Deselect the Run this program in compatibility mode option.
- Click Apply.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
3. Add a no-sandbox flag to Chrome’s desktop shortcut
- Open File Explorer with the Windows key + E hotkey.
- Next, open the folder that includes Google Chrome.
- Right-click the Chrome.exe and select Send to .
- From the menu, choose Desktop.
- Next, right-click the Chrome desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
- Enter -no-sandbox in the Target text box.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
4. Scan for malware
Malware might have corrupted Chrome. So, it is a good idea to run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes is one of the most widely known software on the market for eliminating all types of device viruses, such as spyware, malware, ransomware, etc.
After installing the software, click the Scan Now button on the Malwarebytes window. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine option.
MalwareByteGet maximum protection for your device with the multi-level cybersecurity feature. Claim the best deal right away!
5. Reinstall Google Chrome
- Open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R keyboard.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in the Run box.
- Select the OK button.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Restart Windows before reinstalling Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome’s webpage in Edge or Internet Explorer.
- Click Download Chrome to get the installer for the latest version.
- Open the installer to add Google Chrome to Windows.
We hope that one or more of the above resolutions will probably fix error 0xc00000a5 for most users.
Which one of the methods above helped you fix your Google Chrome issue? Let us know by leaving us your feedback in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- How do I fix error 0xc0000005 on Chrome?
One way to fix the error 0xc0000005 on Chrome is to turn off the Compatibility mode. If that doesn’t help, you might have to reinstall Chrome.
- How do I fix the Chrome shortcut on my desktop?
To fix a Chrome shortcut on your desktop, you will have to simply recreate it and we are exploring some great ways to do that in this guide.
- Why does Google Chrome keep saying aw snap?
The issue is most likely related to corrupted Chrome installation or cache. You can read more about this error message in our Aw snap Chrome error article.
- How do I check for malware on Chrome?
To check for malware on Chrome, you use a dedicated malware scan.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in March 2020 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.