- Microsoft OneNote offers multiple ways to restore deleted notes in Windows 10.
- In this article, we explore three ways to recover deleted OneNote files from your computer.
- Explore our dedicated Windows 10 Apps section to discover more productivity apps like OneNote.
- Interested in more recovery tools? Check out our dedicated Data recovery hub for more information on this topic.
Microsoft OneNote is a note-taking app and allows you to plan events and create a to-do list. However, if you have lost notes recently that you were working on or had some important information, you may still be in luck and be able to recover deleted OneNote files.
You can recover deleted OneNote files using the backup on your computer or notebook in OneDrive. If not, there are third-party data recovery software that can help you recover deleted files with ease.
In this article, we show you the best ways to recover delete OneNote files in Windows 10.
How can I recover deleted OneNote files?
1. Recover from the OneNote app
- Launch the OneNote desktop on your PC.
- Click the View tab from the toolbar. Make sure the OneNote is in full-screen mode.
- Click on the Deleted Notes button. This will show all the deleted notes in the past 60 days.
- Go through the list of deleted notes to find the one you want to restore.
- Right-click and select Restore to.
- Next, select where you want to move and restore the note.
- Launch the OneNote 2016 app on your PC.
- Open the History tab from the toolbar.
- Open the Deleted Pages tab. This will display all the notes deleted in the past 60 days.
- Right-click on the note that you want to restore and select Move or Copy.
- Select the desired Notebook to restore the deleted notes.
As mentioned earlier, you can only restore notes that are deleted within the past 60 days. Also, the notes must have been deleted from the OneNote app or desktop.
2. Use Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery is a popular, fast and highly customizable file recovery tool that can be used to recovery deleted OneNote files.
The tool will display all the recovered files in a preview window. Although to recover the files, you need a licensed copy of Stellar Data Recovery.
Plenty of users have no idea how useful this tool really is. Don’t be one of them and read our elaborate Stellar Data Recovery review to find whether it is worth the money or not.
Stellar Data Recovery enables the users to recover deleted, lost, and unavailable files from almost any storage device including SSDs, external hard drive, USB storage as well as your smartphone.
Apart from the recovery features, it also comes with tools to create bootable recovery media, repair corrupt videos and photos, recovery from encrypted drives as well as advanced raid recovery.
- Enables you to recover lost or deleted documents, email data files, videos, and photos
- Retrieve data from PC, laptop, USB flash drive, and hard drives
- Recover files lost due to drive formatting or corruption
We recommend you to download and scan your storage with the Stellar Data Recovery tool. If your deleted files show up in the scanned results, you can purchase a license to restore the files.
Stellar Data Recovery
Do you want to easily recover any lost OneNote files? Just try out this powerful software option!
3. Search for backups on your computer
- Open the Notebook where you lost recent notes.
- Go to File, click on Info, and select Open Backups.
- In the Open Backup dialogue box, note the folder names that appear. Each folder represents a OneNote notebook that’s saved on your computer.
- Next, double-click on the notebook folder that you want to open.
- Select the backup file for the notebook section you want, and choose Open.
- If your deleted notes are included in the backup section or pages, right-click and select Move or Copy.
Back up your OneNote files
It is always a good idea to back up your OneNote notes, especially when you are sharing it with other users or collaborators. You can modify the OneNote Options to change the Save & Backup option.
You can restore deleted OneNote files from the OneNote desktop app using the Deleted tab. However, if that does not work, you can use third-party recovery software like Stellar to restore the deleted files.