Many users use virtualization, but sometimes they might encounter Hypervisor is not running message on their PC. This message will prevent you from using virtualization, but in today’s article, we’ll show you how to properly tackle this issue.
Virtualization is a useful feature, but sometimes problems with it can occur. Speaking of virtualization issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Hypervisor is not running Windows 10 Pro, BIOS – This problem can occur if virtualization isn’t enabled in BIOS, so be sure to find this feature and enable it.
- Hypervisor launch has been disabled through the hypervisorlaunchtype bcdedit setting – Sometimes Hyper-V feature can be disabled, but you should be able to start it simply by running a single command in Command Prompt.
- Hyper-V failed to start Hypervisor is not running – This problem can occur if your BIOS is out of date. To fix the issue, update your BIOS and check if that solves the problem.
- Virtual machine error Hypervisor is not running – Sometimes this problem can occur due to problematic updates, and in order to fix the issue, it’s advised to find and remove these updates manually.
- Hypervisor is not enabled, present, working – These are some common problems that can occur with Hyper-V, but you should be able to fix them using one of our solutions.
Hypervisor is not running on Windows 10, how to fix it?
- Make sure that virtualization is enabled in BIOS
- Update your BIOS
- Update the drivers to the latest version
- Reinstall HyperV feature
- Remove problematic updates
- Use bcdedit command
- Use DISM command
- Check if your CPU supports virtualization
- Use third-party applications
Solution 1 – Make sure that virtualization is enabled in BIOS
If you’re getting Hypervisor is not running message, perhaps the problem is related to your BIOS settings. As you know, in order to use virtualization, this feature needs to be actually enabled in BIOS.
To check if virtualization is enabled, just enter BIOS and look for this feature. To see how to properly access BIOS and find this feature, we advise you to check your motherboard manual for more information. Once you enable this feature, go back to Windows and check if the problem is still there.
Solution 2 – Update your BIOS
As we already mentioned in our previous solution, the problem with virtualization can be your BIOS. If you’re getting Hypervisor is not running message on your PC, the problem might be an outdated BIOS.
Several users reported that they fixed this problem by updating their BIOS to the latest version. This is an advanced process, and if you don’t perform it properly you can cause permanent damage to your PC, so we advise you to be extra cautious.
We already wrote a short guide on how to flash your BIOS, but if you know how to properly update BIOS on your motherboard, we suggest that you check motherboard manual for detailed information.
Solution 3 – Update the drivers to the latest version
If you’re unable to use virtualization due to Hypervisor is not running message, perhaps the problem is related to your drivers. Several users reported that Bluetooth driver caused this problem to appear, but after updating it the issue was resolved.
To update your drivers, you just need to visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your model. This is fairly simple if you know where to look for and which drivers to update, but this process might get a bit tedious if you need to update multiple drivers.
If you want to update all drivers on your PC fasts, perhaps using a third-party solution such as TweakBit Driver Updater might be the best choice. Using this tool you can automatically update all your drivers with just a couple of clicks, so be sure to try it out.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free
Solution 4 – Reinstall HyperV feature
According to users, if you’re getting Hypervisor is not running message, perhaps there’s a glitch with HyperV feature. Sometimes various Windows glitches can occur, but you can fix most problems with HyperV simply by reinstalling it. This is fairly simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- In the Search bar type windows features. Now choose Turn Windows features on or off from the list of results.
- Locate HyperV feature and uncheck it. Now click OK to save changes. If you’re asked to restart your computer, be sure to do so.
- Once your PC restarts, go back to Windows Features window and enable Hyper-V feature. You might be asked to restart your PC once again, so be sure to do that.
Once your system restarts, the problem with Hyper-V should be resolved and everything will start working again.
- READ ALSO: Fix: can’t Install Hyper-V in Windows 10
Solution 5 – Remove problematic updates
If the Hypervisor is not running message started appearing recently, the problem might be a problematic Windows update. As you know, Windows installs updates automatically, and if the problem started appearing recently, it’s possible that the update is causing it.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you find the problematic update and remove it. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Update & Security section. To do that quickly, you can just use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Select View update history.
- You should now see a list of recent updates. Pay attention to the recent updates and memorize them or write them down. Now click Uninstall updates.
- List of recent updates will appear in the new window. To remove an update, double-click it and follow the instructions on the screen.
Once the update is removed, check if the problem is resolved. You might have to repeat this step a couple of times before you find the update that is causing the problem. Once you find the problematic update, be sure to write its name down.
Windows tends to install the missing updates automatically, so in order to prevent this problem from reappearing, we advise you to block this update from installing automatically.
Solution 6 – Use bcdedit command
If you’re having problems with virtualization, perhaps you can fix the problem simply by running a single command in Command Prompt. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt opens, run the following command:
- bcdedit /store c:BootBCD /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto
After the command is executed, check if the problem with virtualization is resolved. Alternatively, you can also use bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto command.
Solution 7 – Use DISM command
Sometimes you might get Hypervisor is not running message because certain components aren’t working properly. To fix this problem, it’s advised that you run a DISM command in order to enable HyperV feature. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as an administrator.
- When Command Prompt starts, run this command:
- dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V -All
Once the command is executed, Hyper-V feature should be enabled and the problem with virtualization should be resolved.
Solution 8 – Check if your CPU supports virtualization
In order to use native virtualization in Windows 10, it’s necessary that your processor supports certain features. If it doesn’t have these features, you won’t be able to use the built-in virtualization.
To see if your processor supports virtualization, you’ll need to check its specifications on the manufacturer’s website. Alternatively, you can use third-party tools in check if your processor supports virtualization.
Many users reported that virtualization won’t work on their PC since the processor doesn’t support SLAT feature. If your processor doesn’t support the necessary features, you might have to change it in order to use built-in virtualization.
Solution 9 – Use third-party applications
If you didn’t manage to fix Hypervisor is not running error, perhaps you might want to try using a third-party solution as a workaround. Even if your processor doesn’t support the virtualization features, you should be able to create a virtual machine in Windows using the VMware Workstation software.
VMWare specializes in virtualization, and their software offers all the necessary features for both advanced and first-time users alike, so we strongly suggest that you try it out.
– Download VMware Workstation 15 Player from the official page
Hypervisor is not running message can cause problems but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Fix: HyperX problems on Windows 10
- How to Properly Dual-Boot Windows 10 With Another OS
- Fix: VirtualBox not opening in Windows 10 problem