Fix: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error on Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by a problematic software or by a faulty hardware. It’s common for all BSoD errors to crash Windows 10 and restart your computer in order to prevent damage. Since these types of errors can be rather serious, today we’re going to show you how to fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.
Fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSoD error
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error can be problematic, and in this article we’re going to show you how to fix the following issues:
- Inaccessible Boot Device after BIOS reset, BIOS update – According to users, this error usually appears after BIOS restart or BIOS update. This problem is caused by your configuration, but it can be easily resolved.
- Inaccessible Boot Device external hard drive – Several users reported this problem while using an external hard drive. This is an unusual problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
- Inaccessible Boot Device restart loop – According to users, sometimes you might get stuck in a restart loop due to this problem. This can be a big problem since you won’t be able to access Windows at all.
- Windows to Go Inaccessible Boot Device – Several users reported this problem while using Windows to Go. If this error occurs, you won’t be able to run your OS from a USB storage device.
- Inaccessible Boot Device AHCI, RAID, IDE – Sometimes your hardware settings can cause this issue to appear. To fix it, you need to check your hard drive settings in BIOS.
- Inaccessible Boot Device installing Windows 10 – According to users, sometimes this problem can occur while installing Windows 10. Several users reported that they are unable to start Windows at all due to this error.
- Inaccessible Boot Device overclock – In some cases this error can appear due to overclocking. If you overclocked your device recently, be sure to remove overclock settings and check if the problem still appears.
- Inaccessible Boot Device SSD – According to users, sometimes this issue can appear with SSDs. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it using our solutions.
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update your drivers
Drivers are rather important since they allow Windows 10 to utilize your hardware, but if your drivers are outdated, and thus incompatible with Windows 10, that can create all sorts of problems, one being INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSoD error. In order to fix these types of errors, it’s highly advised that you update your drivers.
To do that, simply visit your hardware manufacturer’s website, locate the latest drivers and download them. Some users claim that this error is caused by a IDE ATA/SATA controller driver, and according to them, the BSoD error was fixed after downloading and installing the latest version of this driver.
To fix BSoD errors on your PC, it’s crucial to update all your drivers. If you don’t want to download all drivers manually, be sure to use a Driver Update software in order to do it automatically. Thus, you will keep your system away from permanent damage because of downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Solution 2 – Uninstall your graphics card driver
Some users claim that they started getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error after updating their graphic card drivers. To fix this issue, it’s required that you uninstall your current graphic card drivers and reinstall them. To uninstall your graphic card driver, you need to do the following:
- Download Display Driver Uninstaller.
- After you download the tool, run it and follow the instructions.
Your computer should restart after you uninstall your graphic card driver. After the restart, go to your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download new driver for your graphic card. Bear in mind that Nvidia users reported this problem, but even if you don’t own Nvidia graphic card, you can still try this solution.
- READ ALSO: Fix NTFS_File_System Error on Windows 10
Solution 3 – Enter Safe Mode
Safe Mode is designed to start with only necessary drivers and only the most basic software, therefore if the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error is caused by a certain third-party software, you should able to use Safe Mode without any problems. To enter Safe Mode, do the following:
- Restart your computer while it boots. Do this until you start Automatic Repair.
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- When your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Press 5 or F5 to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
Test if your PC works correctly in Safe Mode. If there are no problems, you can use Safe Mode to update or uninstall certain drivers or applications that might be causing this error. Users claim that in order to fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error it’s only necessary that you enter Safe Mode and the error should be automatically fixed when you restart your PC.
Solution 4 – Enable AHCI Mode in BIOS
According to users, you can easily fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error simply by enabling AHCI mode in BIOS. To do that, you need to do the following:
- While your computer boots keep pressing F2 or Del to enter BIOS.
- Once you enter BIOS, go to Advanced section and change Set AHCI Mode to Enabled.
- Optional: Set the AHCI Mode Control to Auto.
- Save changes and restart your PC.
It’s worth mentioning that your BIOS might be different, and to see how to enter BIOS and change the AHCI mode, be sure to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 5 – Check for loose cables
Few users reported that loose cables can be the cause for INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, therefore you need to power down your PC, unplug it, open your computer case and check if everything is connected properly. It’s worth mentioning that few users managed to fix this problem by connecting their hard drive to a different port on their motherboard, so be sure to try that.
- READ ALSO: Fix Dxgkrnl.sys Error on Windows 10
Solution 6 – Perform Windows 10 reset
If the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error is caused by certain software, you can easily fix this error by performing Windows 10 reset. Bear in mind that this process will delete all files from your C partition, so be sure to create a backup.
After creating backup, you might need Windows 10 installation media to complete this process. You can easily create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it by using the Media Creation Tool. To perform Windows 10 reset, do the following:
- Restart your computer while it boots. This should start Automatic Repair mode.
- Select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
- If you’re asked to insert Windows 10 installation media please do so.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the steps and wait for reset process to complete.
If the problem persists even after Windows 10 reset, you should check your PC for faulty hardware.
Solution 7 – Check for faulty hardware
BSoD errors can sometimes be caused by certain hardware, most commonly RAM, so if you’re getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error make sure that you check your RAM.
If your RAM is working properly, check other major components such as your hard drive or motherboard. Finding a faulty component can be tricky, and you’ll have to perform a detailed inspection of your hardware in order to find it.
We also have to mention that recently installed hardware can also cause these types of errors, therefore if you installed any new hardware recently, be sure to remove it or replace it and check if your PC works without it.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Solution 8 – Check your hard drive
In some cases, you might get this error due to file corruption. However, you can fix the issue simply by running a chkdsk scan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter chkdsk /r C: and press Enter.
- You’ll be asked to restart your PC and schedule the scan. Type Y and press Enter.
Once your PC restarts, the chkdsk scan will automatically start. If you can’t access Windows due to this error, you can navigate to Advanced Boot Menu and use Command Prompt from there.
Solution 9 – Reflash BIOS
In some cases INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error can appear due to corrupted BIOS. If you’re having this problem, you might want to try reflashing your BIOS and check if that solves the issue. Keep in mind that reflshing BIOS is an advanced procedure, and you can cause permanent damage if you don’t do it properly.
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error might be troublesome, but users reported that it can be easily fixed by entering Safe Mode or by updating your drivers. If these solutions don’t work, feel free to try few other solutions from this article.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error on Windows 10
- Fix: BSOD Caused by ‘Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition With Raised IRQL’
- Fix: BSOD Appears Because f CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
- Fix: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSoD in Windows 10
- Fix: BSOD in Windows 10
The cumulative update KB4470200 for Windows 10 Fast Ring has just launched in the November Patch Tuesday roll out, and it packs two important fixes. Grab […]
We continue our Patch Tuesday series. Two more updates for you in this article – KB4467697 and KB4467703, which both are an attempt to fix an issue […]
In this article, we are going to be talking about two November 2018 Patch Tuesday updates – KB4467708 and KB4464455. Both these updates are quality improvement […]