Instagram is arguably the largest social media platform for photo sharing at the moment. The problem with it is that’s mostly oriented on mobile users and PC alternatives are rather underwhelming. Especially the UWP version for Windows 10 which, since it was introduced, shows a lot of signs of bad optimization.
To make the things even worse, the Windows 10 Instagram app is not working at all for some users. We provided you with 3 solutions and 1 workaround below. If the Instagram app isn’t working for you, feel free to check them out.
How to get the Instagram app for Windows 10 working
Solution 1 – Run the troubleshooter
Let’s start by employing the built-in Windows Store apps troubleshooter. The tool should check for the integration issues and possibly resolve them. However, don’t hold your hopes high, as the Instagram app has had a bad spell since its introduction to Windows 10. On the other hand, it won’t cost you to give it a try and look for yourself.
Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Expand the “Windows Store Apps” troubleshooter.
- Click Run the troubleshooter.
Solution 2 – Reset the Instagram app to factory values
Another viable option is resetting the app to default values and starting from a scratch. This action will erase all cached data and allow you a clean slate to start with. There might be a bug at hand and this should address it. You’ll need to sign in again, but that’s not exactly a great effort to start with and, since we’re talking about an online service, you won’t lose anything in the process.
Here’s hot to reset the Instagram app to factory values:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Apps.
- Select Instagram under the Apps & features section and open Advanced options.
- Scroll down and click Reset.
Solution 3 – Reinstall the app
If the previous steps fell short, let’s give the reinstallation a try. Reinstalling an app like this don’t have any drawbacks and can certainly help if issues emerge. We can’t say with certainty whether the current version of the Instagram app is the problem or it’s an issue which is permanently present in the app. Me, personally, use the app without any major issues, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for all users. It can seemingly depend on the Windows 10 version you’re currently using, so make sure you keep your system up to date.
Here’s how to reinstall the Instagram app:
- Open Start and find Instagram under the application list.
- Right-click on Instagram and uninstall it.
- Restart your PC.
- Open the Microsoft Store and install Instagram again.
Solution 4 – Try an alternative
Finally, there’s an alternative you can try in order to use the app in your PC web browser. Now, we’re aware that the web-based application is fairly limiting in comparison to Android/iOS apps. But, there’s a way to simulate a smartphone or tablet in your web browser and thus obtain the full functionality of the mobile app on your PC. It can be done in every browser, including Edge. The only thing you need is the developer options menu.
Here’s how to do it in Chrome:
- Open your browser and navigate to Instagram. Sign in.
- Right-click on the empty area and choose Inspect from the contextual menu.
- When the developer window pops, click on the Tablet/smartphone icon.
- Don’t forget to disable the adblocker and that’s it.
With that said, we can conclude this article. In case you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to tell us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft to release a Windows Lite OS, Windows 10 SDK suggests
- Instagram for Windows 10 now supports disappearing photos and videos
- 4 best decentralized social networks to use in 2018