Kernelbase.dll Missing or Crashing: How to Fix It
Creating a new user profile can fix Kernelbase.dll issues
- To fix kernelbase.dll, sometimes you need to create a new user profile.
- Removing leftover files and drivers from your PC can help with this issue.
Your operating system relies on all sorts of DLL files to work properly, and one of those files is kernelbase.dll.
Issues with DLL files are fairly common, and in the past, we covered missing DLL files on Windows 11, so you might want to read that guide for more solutions.
This file can cause a lot of trouble, but before we start fixing this issue, let’s learn more about it.
What causes KernelBase dll errors?
There are many causes, but here are the most common ones:
- Corrupted user profile – This is one of the most common causes. To fix it, you need to repair a corrupted profile or just create a new one.
- Installed software – Sometimes, installed applications can lead to problems with these DLL files. This includes software, game mods, and driver leftovers.
How can I fix kernelbase.dll crashes?
Before we start fixing this issue, here are a few quick solutions that you might want to try:
- Switch to US keyboard layout – In some instances, kernelbase.dll can cause crashes with certain games if you’re not using the US keyboard layout. We have a great guide on how to change the keyboard layout, so check it out for detailed instructions.
- Close Discord – Few users reported that Discord is causing crashes while trying to run certain games, so closing it might help.
- Remove overclocks settings – Overclocked GPU can sometimes cause this file to crash. Remove the changes made in overclocking software and check if that solves the problem.
- Remove any driver leftovers – If you recently switches from AMD to NVIDIA and vice versa, you may have some leftover files from the previous GPU. Remove the leftover files or use Display Driver Uninstaller to do it.
- Disable mods or recently installed software – Few gamers reported that the crash was fixed after disabling certain game mods.
- Remove Plex folder – Remove the following directory to fix the issue:
1. Use a dedicated DLL fixer
Kernelbase.dll is an important Windows file, so it’s important to fix it properly. Downloading the file from third-party sources is highly discouraged due to potential security issues.
To fix this error, you should use DLL repair software like the one below. The software can fix 100% of Windows DLL problems, so be sure to give it a try.
Using this application is incredibly simple, you need to install it and let it scan your system for DLL issues.
2. Switch to a new user profile
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Next, go to Accounts and select Other users.
- After that, click on Add account button.
- In the new window, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the username and password for the new account.
Once the new account is created, switch to it and check if that solves the problem with kernelbase.dll. A few users also suggested installing the affected application on a newly created account, so try that as well.
3. Update network drivers
- Visit your motherboard or network adapter manufacturer’s website.
- Go to the Drivers section.
- Locate your motherboard or network adapter on the list.
- Once you do that, locate the latest network driver and download it.
- After the file is downloaded, run it and follow the instructions on the screen.
For more information, we have a great guide on how to update drivers on Windows 11, so be sure to check it out.
Although this guide is focused on Windows 11, missing DLL files on Windows 10 can also be a problem, and we’re happy to inform you that these solutions will work for any version of Windows.
What solution did you use to fix problems with kernelbase.dll? Let us know in the comments section below.
Still experiencing issues?
If the above suggestions have not solved your problem, your computer may experience more severe Windows troubles. We suggest choosing an all-in-one solution like Fortect to fix problems efficiently. After installation, just click the View&Fix button and then press Start Repair.