Fix: Windows Live Mail email links aren’t working
Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Live Mail in November 2014. However, if you have it installed, it should continue to do its job. The truth is that not everything has run very smoothly for the last years and it’s terrible to find that your Live Mail email links are not currently working.
If you’re trying to use your Windows Live Mail client and suddenly no email links are working, then you’ve got an annoying problem on your hands. Besides the final box that asks you to kill the page or wait for it to respond, opening any of the links makes the browser’s page load indefinitely.
Waiting for a couple of minutes or even more doesn’t change the situation. That’s why the only logical next step is to take the matter into your own hands. So, don’t hesitate to go through the following steps in order to make email links work again.
What can I do if Windows Live Mail email links are not working?
1. Change default programs associations
- Click on the Start button and type Default Programs in the search.
- Right-click on the taskbar start button to get a pop-out menu.
- Choose and click on Control Panel.
- The control panel items box should pop up next, with titles in alphabetical order.
- Look for Default Programs. After finding it, click it.
- Select Set your default programs on the next screen.
- Then, choose your Internet browser.
- Select set this program as default, then click OK.
- Return to Default Programs.
- Choose the option that says Set program access and computer defaults at the bottom.
- Hit Continue if you get a User Account Control prompt.
- Select the Custom option.
- Click on the double arrow to the right of Custom> Choose a default web browser.
- Select your default browser.
- Tick the box next to Enable access to this program.
- Then, choose a default e-mail program.
- Set Use my current e-mail program.
- Don’t forget to also tick the box next to Enable access to this program.
- Confirm by finally clicking OK.
Errors in program associations could stop Live Mail email links from working. Feel free to change the default program associations by following the procedure detailed above.
You can’t open Control Panel? Take a look at this step-by-step guide to find a solution.
2. Disable antivirus/firewall functions
The next troubleshooting path to follow is a classic one. The firewall you’re using could be blocking a port used by the email client.
This is usually caused by 3rd party antivirus suites and firewalls, while the Windows built-in firewall is configured to allow the port through if not configured manually to block it.
That’s why you should temporarily deactivate antivirus/firewall functions.
3. Run a repair of Windows Essentials
- Type Control in the Windows Search bar.
- Open Control Panel.
- From the Category view, select Uninstall a program.
- Double-click on Windows Essentials.
- Click Uninstall/Change from the top bar.
- Click on the Repair all Windows Essential programs and wait for the procedure to end.
- Finally, restart your PC and confirm any changes related to the issue.
If none of the previous methods have resolved the problem for you, we recommend trying to repair Windows Live Mail. You could also use the executable responsible for the uninstall procedure (wlarp.exe).
Make sure not to choose t Remove one or more Windows Essentials programs.
If you need more info on how to uninstall programs and apps on Windows 10, check out this detailed article.
When confronted with Windows Live Mail email links that are not working, follow each potential fix described above.
For any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to reach in the comments section below.