How to create a Mac OS bootable USB Media on Windows 10
If you ever need to do a clean Mac OS X install, you’ll need a bootable USB drive. Sure, you can always set up a bootable USB of Mac OS X on your Apple system; but you can also do the same thing in Windows 10. This is how Mac users without access to bootable Mac system can set up a macOS bootable USB media in Windows 10.
There are a few things you’ll need to set up a Mac OS bootable USB media in Windows. The first is a large USB flash drive with up to 16 GB storage space. That flash USB drive should be empty and compatible with the Mac OS X filesystem. So you might need to format the drive for full Mac OS compatibility.
Secondly, you’ll need a Mac OS X DMG file. You can save a Mac OS X Yosemite DMG to Windows 10 from the Apple Store. To get the DMG from Apple Store, you’ll also need an Apple ID.
Finally, the TransMac software for Windows 10 is also required. There’s a shareware version of TransMac that expires after 15 days. That should be fine for setting up one bootable USB drive.
Setting up a Bootable Mac OS X USB Drive with TransMac
- Click tmsetup.exe on this page and open the TransMac setup wizard to add it to Windows 10.
- Insert your flash drive into USB port.
- Open the TransMac software in the snapshot below. Note you’ll need to run it as an administrator, so right-click the program icon and select Run as administrator.
- Then right-click the USB flash drive and select Restore with Disk Image. Click Yes on the window that pops up to confirm.
- Click the … button on the Restore Disk Image to Drive window and select your Mac OS X DMG.
- Press the OK button to set up the bootable USB. Then it might take a couple of hours for the bootable USB to be ready.
- Thereafter, you can close the software and remove the USB. Connect the USB to your Mac, hold the Options key as it boots up and then select the USB drive.
So that’s how you can set up a Mac OS X bootable USB drive in Windows 10. With that USB drive you can now reinstall the OS X.
Some Chrome tabs might display a “Not enough memory to open this page” error message when users try to open a specific webpage. Consequently, the […]
Sending faxes with Windows PC is usually done by Windows Fax and Scan application. You can use it to fax files over with a few simple […]