- The Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is a great device for watching content from your phone.
- Unfortunately, there are plenty of issues reported with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
- Such issues are caused by System Errors, of which we've covered plenty in our dedicated Hub.
- If you have even more problems with your devices, take a look at our Peripherals Fix page.
Some Surface Pro 3 users have complained that they’re unable to connect their Surface to a smart TV via Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter after the upgrade to Windows 10.
So, we did a little research on this, and we found a couple of solutions for the problem with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter in Windows 10.
Problems with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter can prevent you from enjoying in multimedia on an external display. Speaking of issues, users reported the following problems as well:
- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter bad quality, blurry, stutter
- One common problem with this adapter is bad picture quality.
- In addition, many users reported blurry picture.
- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects, won’t stay connected
- Common disconnects are also a problem with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
- According to users, sometimes their adapter can’t stay connected.
- Pairing failed Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
- In some cases, you might not be able to pair your adapter at all.
- Many users reported various paring issues while using this adapter.
- Unable to connect to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
- This is just a variation of this problem, but many users reported that their PC can’t connect to their adapter.
- No sound Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
- Another common problem with your adapter might be the lack of sound.
- This is an annoying problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter lag, latency, losing connection
- Many users also reported latency issues with this adapter.
- According to them, they are experiencing lag frequently.
- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter black screen, blue screen
- This is another connection problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
How do I fix the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on Windows 10?
- Uninstall MWDA driver, and let Windows install it
- Reset the adapter
- Change the wireless frequency band
- Reinstall graphics card driver
- Connect the adapter properly
- Change your refresh rate
- Uninstall problematic software
- Disable your antivirus software
1. Uninstall MWDA driver, and let Windows install it
- Go to Search, type devicemanager and open Device Manager.
- Find Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller, right-click on it and go to Uninstall.
- After the uninstallation is finished, reboot your computer.
- Go to Settings>Updates, and check for updates.
- Microsoft will likely install Wireless Display Adapter driver again, and everything should work.
In some cases, just uninstalling the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter driver, and letting Windows 10 install it again automatically will solve the problem.
Now you can turn on your TV and check if everything is okay. If the issue is still present, you can try some of the solutions listed before.
2. Reset the adapter
- On the adapter, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
- When the message “Ready to connect” appears, open Action Center from the Taskbar.
- Select Connect, and in the list of displays, select Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
If reinstalling drivers didn’t get the job done, you can try with resetting the adapter. This will bring your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to its default settings, so if something were set wrong, it will now be changed.
3. Change the wireless frequency band
- Go to Device Manager (as shown in Solution 1).
- Under Network Adapters, right-click (or press and hold) on the Marvell AVASTAR adapter.
- Select Properties, and go to Advanced tab
- Under Property, select Band
- Under Value, select the arrow and select Auto>OK.
If you’re using Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book, you can communicate with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless frequency band.
However, you must have 2.4GHz frequency band enabled if you want to pair your Surface device with the adapter, so if this frequency band is disabled, you won’t be able to use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to project screen from your Surface on your TV.
4. Reinstall graphics card driver
And finally, maybe some issues with your graphics card (Intel HD Graphics, if you’re using Surface) are preventing your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter from working normally, so we’re going to do the same thing, as we did it the first step, only with a different device.
So, just go to Device Manager and uninstall your graphics card driver, after that, restart your computer and check for updates. Windows Update will install your graphics card driver again, and you’ll know if it was an issue or not.
Updating drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer.
5. Connect the adapter properly
- Connect the adapter to the USB port.
- Now connect it to HDMI port.
- After doing that, switch to the HDMI input. This step is crucial and your device won’t work until you switch to the correct input.
- Now you just have to choose the device and add a wireless display.
If your Microsoft Wireless Display adapter is not working, you might be able to fix the problem by connecting it properly. This is a basic solution, but several users reported that it worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
6. Change your refresh rate
According to users, this issue can be caused by your refresh rate. Several users reported that they fixed the issue simply by opening their graphics adapter software and changing the refresh rate from 30Hz to 25Hz.
Users reported this problem with Intel Graphics, but the issue might appear with other graphics adapters as well.
7. Uninstall problematic software
Sometimes third-party applications can interfere with your Internet connection and cause various problems. If your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is not working, the cause might be your VPN client.
Many users reported that Cyber Ghost VPN caused this issue to occur, and after removing the application, the problem was resolved. If you plan to continue using Cyber Ghost, we advise you to download and install the latest version and check if that solves your issue.
VPN applications aren’t the only apps that can cause this problem, so you might have to do a bit of research before you find the problematic application.
8. Disable your antivirus software
If Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is not working, the problem might be your antivirus software. According to users, antivirus software such as AVG antivirus can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection and prevent Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter from working.
To fix the issue, users are recommending to disable your antivirus temporarily and check if that solves the problem. Even if you disable your antivirus, your PC will remain protected by Windows Defender, so there’s no reason to worry.
If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, you might have to remove your antivirus. It’s worth mentioning that antivirus tools can leave certain files and registry entries behind, so it’s recommended to use a dedicated removal tool.
Once you remove all files associated with your antivirus, the issue should be resolved. Now you can reinstall the latest version of your antivirus or switch to a different antivirus solution and check if that solves the problem.
FAQ: Learn more about the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
- What is the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter?
The Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is a small device that you can use to share what’s on your tablet, laptop, or smartphone on an HDTV or monitor.
- How do I use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter?
Plug in both ends of the Display Adapter into your TV or monitor, pair your monitor with your device, and start sharing what is on the device to your monitor. For the best experience, we recommend casting your content on 4K displays.
- What alternatives are there to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter?
There are plenty of alternative devices to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and these include Miracast, Chromecast Ultra, or the Amazon FireStick.
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is a solid device, but sometimes issues with it can occur. If you have any problems with your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, be sure to try some of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.