- If the Microsoft wireless display adapter is not working, you won't be able to enjoy your multimedia on an external monitor.
- A problematic driver may also be the cause if the Microsoft wireless display adapter is not connecting anymore.
- You can simply try to uninstall the driver for MWDA letting Windows install a default driver.
- Changing the wireless frequency band may also fix this problem quickly so try it out.
Some Surface Pro 3 users have complained that they’re unable to connect their Surface to a smart TV via the Microsoft wireless display adapter after the upgrade to Windows 10.
So, we did a little research on this, and we found a couple of solutions for the problem with the Microsoft wireless display adapter in Windows 10.
Problems with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter can prevent you from enjoying in multimedia on an external display. Speaking of issues, users reported the following problems as well:
- Microsoft wireless display adapter bad quality, blurry, stutter
- One common problem with this adapter is bad picture quality.
- In addition, many users reported blurry picture.
- Microsoft wireless display adapter disconnects, won’t stay connected
- Common disconnects are also a problem with Microsoft wireless display adapter.
- According to users, sometimes their adapter can’t stay connected.
- Pairing failed Microsoft wireless display adapter
- In some cases, you might not be able to pair your adapter at all.
- Many users reported various paring issues while using this adapter.
- Unable to connect to Microsoft wireless display adapter
- This is just a variation of this problem, but many users reported that their PC can’t connect to their adapter.
- No sound Microsoft wireless display adapter
- Another common problem with your adapter might be the lack of sound.
- This is an annoying problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
- Microsoft wireless display adapter lag, latency, losing connection
- Many users also reported latency issues with this adapter.
- According to them, they are experiencing lag frequently.
- Microsoft wireless display adapter black screen, blue screen
- This is another connection problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
How do I fix the wireless display adapter on Windows 10?
- Uninstall the driver, and let Windows install it
- Reset the adapter
- Change the wireless frequency band
- Reinstall the graphics card driver
- Connect the adapter properly
- Change your refresh rate
- Uninstall problematic software
- Disable your antivirus software
1. Uninstall the driver, and let Windows install it
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Find Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller, right-click on it and go to Uninstall.
- After the uninstallation is finished, reboot your computer.
- Go to Settings, select Update & Security, and check for updates.
- Microsoft will likely install the Wireless Display Adapter driver again, and everything should work.
In some cases, just uninstalling the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter driver, and letting Windows 10 install it again automatically will solve the problem.
Now you can turn on your TV and check if everything is okay. If the issue is still present, you can try some of the solutions listed before.
2. Reset the adapter
- On the adapter, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
- When the message Ready to connect appears, open Action Center from the Taskbar.
- Select Connect, and in the list of displays, select Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
If reinstalling drivers didn’t get the job done, you can try with resetting the adapter. This will bring your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to its default settings, so if something were set wrong, it will now be changed.
3. Change the wireless frequency band
- Go to Device Manager as shown in the first solution.
- Under Network Adapters, right-click (or press and hold) on the Marvell AVASTAR adapter.
- Select Properties, and go to the Advanced tab
- Under Property, select Band.
- Under Value, select the arrow and select Auto, and then OK.
If you’re using Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book, you can communicate with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless frequency band.
However, you must have the 2.4GHz frequency band enabled if you want to pair your Surface device with the adapter.
So, if this frequency band is disabled, you won’t be able to use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to project the screen from your Surface on your TV.
It’s also a good think that you keep a closer eye on your Wi-Fi connection. We have a list with the best Wi-Fi analyzer tools for Windows 10 that will help you with that.
4. Reinstall the graphics card driver
- Go to the Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters.
- Right-click on your GPU, then select Uninstall driver.
- Restart your PC, and your Windows will automatically install the default GPU driver.
And finally, maybe some issues with your graphics card (Intel HD Graphics, if you’re using Surface) are preventing your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter from working normally.
So, we’re going to do the same thing, as we did in the first step, only with a different device.
Windows Update will install your graphics card driver again, and you’ll know if it was an issue or not.
Update drivers automatically
Updating drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to try using a dedicated driver update tool to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer.
The solution recommended below it’s extremely easy to use and will repair and update all your drivers in a single run with only one click so make sure you try it out.
To make sure that everything goes smoothly and avoid any kind of GPU driver errors, be sure to use a complete driver update assistant that will solve your problems with just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep you GPU on the peaks of their performance without worrying about its drivers.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
5. Connect the adapter properly
- Connect the adapter to the USB port.
- Now connect it to the HDMI port.
- After doing that, switch to the HDMI input. This step is crucial, and your device won’t work until you switch to the correct input.
- Now you just have to choose the device and add a wireless display.
If the Connect to a wireless display option is not showing, you might be able to fix the problem by connecting it properly.
This is a basic solution, but several users reported that it worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
6. Change your refresh rate
This issue can be caused by your refresh rate. Several users reported that they fixed the issue simply by opening their graphics adapter software and changing the refresh rate from 30Hz to 25Hz.
Users reported this problem with Intel Graphics, but the issue might appear with other graphics adapters as well.
7. Uninstall problematic software
Sometimes third-party applications can interfere with your Internet connection and cause various problems. If you can’t connect to a wireless display in Windows 10, the cause might be your VPN client.
Many users reported that Cyber Ghost VPN caused this issue to occur, and after removing the application, the problem was resolved.
If you plan to continue using Cyber Ghost, we advise you to download and install the latest version and check if that solves your issue.
VPN applications aren’t the only apps that can cause this problem, so you might have to do a bit of research before you find the problematic application.
8. Disable your antivirus software
If the Microsoft wireless display adapter is not connecting, the problem might be your antivirus software.
According to users, antivirus software such as AVG antivirus can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection and prevent Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter from working.
To fix the issue, users are recommending disabling your antivirus temporarily and check if that solves the problem.
Even if you disable your antivirus, your PC will remain protected by Windows Defender, so there’s no reason to worry. If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, you might have to remove your antivirus.
It’s worth mentioning that antivirus tools can leave certain files and registry entries behind, so it’s recommended to use a dedicated removal tool.
Once you remove all files associated with your antivirus, the issue should be resolved.
Now you can reinstall the latest version of your antivirus or switch to a different antivirus solution and check if that solves the problem.
The antivirus recommended below is the best in the market today and it protects over 500,000 systems all over the world. It also doesn’t interfere with your systems or apps.
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is a solid device, but sometimes issues with it can occur. If you have any problems with your Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, be sure to try some of our solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is a small device that you can use to share what’s on your tablet, laptop, or smartphone on an HDTV or monitor. You can even use the device to stream content, show photo slideshows, and work presentations wirelessly.
Plug in both ends of the Display Adapter into your TV or monitor, pair your monitor with your device, and start sharing what is on the device to your monitor. For the best experience, we recommend buying one of the best 4K monitors on the market.
There are plenty of alternative devices to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and these include Miracast, Chromecast Ultra, or the Amazon FireStick.