OneDrive is one of the most renowned cloud backup solutions out there, for both enterprise and home users. However, there are, besides the storage space, certain limitations when it comes to uploading files on OneDrive. Some users are getting the name or type isn’t allowed error on OneDrive when trying to upload certain files.
If you are also having a hard time with this error, check the steps below to resolve it.
OneDrive won’t sync files as the name or type isn’t allowed
1. Make sure that the file name and type are supported
There are certain limitations OneDrive imposes on users so not every file type or even name is supported. These limitations include:
- Characters that are not allowed in the file names are ” * : < > ? / |. File names must contain less than 400 characters.
- Folder names that are not allowed are: .lock, CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM0 – COM9, LPT0 – LPT9, _vti_, desktop.ini, any filename starting with ~$.
- Usual file types that are not supported are executable files but this can vary depending on your server administrator decisions.
2. Clear OneDrive’s cache data
If you are sure that the file or folder you are trying to upload is meeting the requirements but the problem persists, try resetting your OneDrive and re-linking it to your PC.
Follow the instructions below remove and re-link your OneDrive desktop client:
- Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the notification area and open Settings.
- Select the Account tab.
- Unlink this PC and close the application.
- Select the Account tab again.
- Select the location of the OneDrive folder.
- Sign in with your credentials and you should be good to go.
3. Use OneDrive on the web
Finally, the limitations that are present on the local client won’t affect file uploads on the web-based client. That’s why we suggest logging into your OneDrive account via browser and uploading files that way. Also, while we are there, allow us to recommend a browser that is probably the best contemporary alternative to Chrome and Firefox.
UR Browser is super-private and won’t eat up all your resources while performing simple tasks in a few tabs. It comes with the enhanced encryption and quite an intuitive design that closely resembles Google Chrome.
Check it out and see what are the benefits of using UR Browser over others firsthand.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT: