- This guide will provide you with all the needed information to understand how to open torrented files on Windows 10.
- Being able to open torrent files without any issues is essential if you want to access your preferred online content.
- To explore more content relating to opening a variety of files, check out our File Opener Hub.
- Bookmark our Torrent section for more useful information on this topic.
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file-sharing protocol for the distribution of video, music, software, and other digital media content.
The digital media content is distributed with torrent files, which contain the metadata for the downloadable files. The advantage of torrent files is that they enable faster downloads from multiple seeds.
To open torrented files, you’ll need BitTorrent client software, such as uTorrent. That is a P2P file-sharing utility with which you can download the content the torrent includes metadata.
Once you’ve downloaded a torrent, you can open its files, which are often included within a ZIP archive.
If you don’t already have a torrent file, you can download them from websites such as Pirate Bay. However, Pirate Bay has been blocked by various countries, such as the U.K. and the USA.
Even though torrent file sharing is legal, countries are still blocking torrent sites to clamp down on the distribution of copyrighted content that can arise from some of them. So, you might need to install VPN software to get torrents from Pirate Bay and similar websites.
Note that downloading copyrighted material, via any means, is illegal in numerous countries.
How can I open torrented files with uTorrent (Windows and Mac)?
1. Install uTorrent
- First, open the download page for uTorrent in a browser.
- Click the Download uTorrent Web button on the Windows page.
- Next, open the setup wizard for uTorrent to install the software.
2. Download the torrent content
- Thereafter, open the folder that includes your torrent file.
- Double-click the torrent file to open it with uTorrent.
- Thereafter, the uTorrent window will open as shown in the snapshot directly below. You can click the … button to select an alternative folder.
- Make sure you’ve selected all the file checkboxes within the Torrent Contents box.
- Click the OK button to download the torrent.
- Wait for the torrent to fully download.
3. Opening the ZIP archive
- Thereafter, press the Windows key + E hotkey to open File Explorer.
- Open the folder you downloaded the torrent to.
- Torrent contents often get saved within ZIP archives. To extract the ZIP for a torrent, right-click it and select Extract all.
- Click Browse to choose a folder path to extract the torrent’s ZIP to. Press the Select Folder button.
- Click the Extract button.
- Open the extracted folder, which includes the torrent content. Torrent content will usually be music and video files, but can also be software.
- To open the music and videos, check out the VLC software. That’s a media player with which you can open almost any multimedia file format.
- Mac users can open torrented files with uTorrent for Mac. To download uTorrent for Mac, click the Mac link and the download button there.
- Install uTorrent with its installer.
- Select your torrent file and click File > Open with > uTorrent.
- After that, you can download the torrent’s content with uTorrent for Mac as outlined for the Windows version.
- To extract a Zip file that includes the downloaded torrent files on Mac OS X, you’ll need to open Finder.
- Open the folder that includes the ZIP.
- Then you can double-click the Zip to extract it within the same folder.
So, opening a torrent is straightforward with uTorrent. You can also open your torrents with Vuze, BitTorrent, Bitcomet, Deluge, and other BitTorrent client software.
If you found this guide helpful, don’t hesitate to contact us by using the comment section below.