- If Opera GX won't open on your PC, you might want to check your Microsoft Family settings.
- A corrupted installation can be the cause of this problem, so you should reinstall Opera GX to repair it.
- What to do if Opera GX is not opening? Changing your user account settings is another great way to fix this problem on your PC.
Opera is well-known for its browsers, but sometimes issues with applications can appear, and many users reported that Opera GX is not opening on their PC.
This can be a problem since you won’t be able to browse the web with your favorite browser, so it’s important to fix this issue as soon as possible.
In today’s guide, we’re going to show you a couple of quick and easy methods that you can use to fix your browser, so let’s get started, shall we?
Besides Opera GX not opening in Windows 10, users reported other issues with this browser as well. Some of them are the following:
- Opera browser not opening in Windows 11, 10 – The reasons behind the issue occurring in Windows 11 are similar to the Windows 10 error encounter. Our solutions below can also be implemented in the former OS.
- Opera GX unable to start correctly – This particular scenario will happen when the installation of the Opera GX browser met some bugs during the process.
- Opera GX can’t open the user profile directory – You will need to install Opera GX as an administrator or log into that account before trying to open the user profile directory.
- Opera GX not loading, not starting, not launching, not working, not opening properly – If the browser is not loading fast enough, you will need to make sure you are using the latest version.
- Opera GX not working properly – Opera GX opens and closes – Browser issues can arise at any point in time. As a rule of thumb, leaving the Microsoft family will make sure it doesn’t interfere with Opera GX.
- Opera GX not downloading files – Opera GX not opening links, pages, not loading images, YouTube – By disabling all your extensions you will be able to solve this particular browser error.
Why won’t Opera GX open?
A corrupted Opera profile can cause this issue, so you need to find it and recreate it. Damaged installation can also cause this issue, so you might have to reinstall the browser.
It’s also advised to try repairing the installation using one of the built-in tools, especially if you don’t want to remove any of your user data.
These are some of the solutions that can help you if Opera GX is not opening on your PC. In most cases, there’s a problem with your user account, but that can be easily fixed.
If you’re having additional problems, we suggest reading our article on what to do if the Opera browser is not working or responding for more in-depth solutions.
How do I fix Opera GX not opening?
1. Make sure you’re using the latest version
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
To avoid issues such as the above-mentioned ones, it’s always important to use the latest version of the software. Since you can’t start the software, you can always download Opera GX and install it again.
It’s advised to use the last version also because it contains the most up-to-date features and improvements that will make your browsing experience more enjoyable.
Please download the installer wizard from the official website. Other sources may not be secure. The browser releases new updates regularly, and if you have any problems, check our guide on what to do if Opera GX won’t update.
Get the latest version of Opera to get peak performance and browse using the latest privacy and security implementations!
2. Run the installer from the installation directory
- Press the Windows key + R then enter the following location and click OK:
- Navigate to the Opera GX directory.
- Go to the directory that represents the latest version.
- Run the installer.exe file.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
After the installer is completed, your browser should be updated and working again.
3. Leave the Microsoft family
- Navigate to the Microsoft Family Safety page.
- If you’re the organizer of the Microsoft family, remove all members by clicking on the three-dot menu next to their name and selecting Remove from family group.
- Now click on the three-dot menu next to your card and choose Leave family group.
- After doing that, check if the problem is gone.
It’s possible that your Family Safety settings are preventing the application from running and after leaving the family, the problem was resolved for many users.
You can also adjust your Family Safety settings and allow Opera GX to run.
4. Switch to the local account
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app and navigate to the Accounts section.
- Select Sign in with a local account instead.
- Click Next to proceed.
- Now enter your account password and click Next.
- Enter the name for the local account and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
5. Create a new user account
- Open the Settings app by using the Windows key + I shortcut.
- Head over to the Accounts section.
- Select Family & other users. Now choose Add someone else to this PC.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now go to Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the username and password for the new account and click Next.
- Now switch to the newly created profile and check if Opera GX works.
If it does, you might have to move all your files to the new account and start using it instead of your old one.
6. Reinstall Opera GX
- Press the Windows key + R. Now enter the following location and click OK:
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Opera GX\launcher.exe" -uninstall
- Select Uninstall one the OperaGX uninstaller window opens.
- Once the software is removed, download and install it again.
- Optional: Select a different drive for the installation directory.
You can also use the re-install option and check if that solves the problem for you. In case the Opera GX installer is not working properly, take a look at the guide linked in order to see what to do about it.
Alternatively, check out how to fix the Opera GX stuck on installing for the current user error if you encounter this problem.
Don’t miss out on our post with a full comparison between Opera GX and Opera and decide which one suits you best.
What method did you use to fix this problem? Let us know in the comments section below.