RiotGamesApi.dll was Not Found: 4 Ways to Fix It
Acquire the missing DLL quickly with our expert solutions
- Riot Games is a popular client, but many users were unable to play their favorite titles when RiotGamesApi.dll was missing.
- The problem generally finds its root in an improper installation, but other changes, too, could be the underlying cause.
- To fix things, we recommend you use a dedicated DLL repair tool, reinstall the game, or perform a system restore.
Gaming on Windows has long been popular amongst the community, with the operating system emerging as the primary choice for many and various gaming clients made available for the platform. But some users reported that the RiotGamesApi.dll is missing.
The issue affects titles available on Riot Games, including League of Legends, and the complete error message reads, The program can’t start because RiotGamesApi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the game to fix this problem. Let’s find out how to fix things!
Why is RiotGamesApi.dll missing?
Here are a few reasons you can’t launch LoL due to a missing RiotGamesApi.dll file:
- Improper game or client installation: A common reason you can’t launch League of Legends is when the critical DLL file is missing due to an improper installation.
- Recent changes made to the PC: In some cases, changes made to the software, for instance, installing a game optimization software or manually changing the file path, can trigger the error message.
- The DLL file is corrupt: Frequently, due to repeated changes or an incorrect alteration, the DLL file might corrupt and, as a result, is not readable anymore.
What can I do if RiotGamesApi.dll is missing?
Before we start with the slightly complex changes, try these quick ones first:
- Restart the computer and relaunch the game.
- Install any pending game or client updates.
- If you have another PC running the client, copy the DLL and move it to the computer where the file is missing. Make sure not to change the storage path, i.e., the folder where the DLL is stored.
If none work, move to the fixes listed next.
1. Use a dedicated DLL repair tool
When faced with the problem, your primary approach should be to use an effective DLL repair tool. Because problems with DLL files linked to third-party apps arise due to incompatibility and are often complex in nature. So, dedicated software will help get things running in no time.
And when going for one, there couldn’t be a better option than this. The tool has almost every available DLL file in its database and can get you one in no time.
2. Repair the corrupt system files
- Press Windows + S to open Search, type Command Prompt, right-click on the relevant result, and then select Run as administrator.
- Click Yes in the UAC prompt.
- Paste the following commands individually and hit Enter after each to run DISM:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Next, run the following command for the SFC scan:
- Once done, restart the computer for the changes to come into effect and relaunch the game that earlier threw the error.
3. Reinstall the game
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type appwiz.cpl, and click OK.
- Select the affected game, and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once done, download the game from the official website or the client, and the error won’t appear anymore.
A quick fix when RiotGamesApi.dll is missing in Windows is reinstalling the game. If that doesn’t work, you can completely uninstall the Riot Games client and then download it again. Just make sure to use the default installation settings this time around.
4. Perform a system restore
- Press Windows + S to open Search, type Create a restore point, and click on the relevant result.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Select Choose a different restore point and click Next.
- Pick a restore point created before the error first appeared, and click Next.
- Finally, verify the details, and click on Finish to start the process.
Once the restore is complete, you might notice minor changes to the system, but the Riot client and the installed games should work fine without throwing an error about the missing RiotGamesApi.dll file.
For those wondering is DLL files legit, the answer is yes. These are critical files, sometimes offered by Microsoft and on other occasions by third-party developers, for their programs to run effectively. So, you must replace a missing DLL file ASAP. And you could always use a reliable DLL repair tool.
For a better experience, check some quick tips to boost gaming performance.
Tell us which fix worked in the comments section below.
Still experiencing issues?
If the above suggestions have not solved your problem, your computer may experience more severe Windows troubles. We suggest choosing an all-in-one solution like Fortect to fix problems efficiently. After installation, just click the View&Fix button and then press Start Repair.